8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » congress is racing to save tv history

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: congress is racing to save tv history
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2013 07:19 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Library of Congress races to preserve TV history interesting piece on the news tonight. I would love to do this job, go through miles of film and restore it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57596237/library-of-congress-races-to-pr eserve-tv-history/

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2013 03:40 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two very interesting reports, Jim.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 31, 2013 12:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that on CBS. Video is far more fragile than film, so it's a good thing that they are transferring all of this before it simply degrades further.

What was really shocking is that the very machines they use for this process have only one person who knows how to service them, and he is in his 80's, so they have a limited time in which they can get this copy or transfer done, (with machines running well).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 31, 2013 03:00 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But what if the media to which these old tapes are being transferred doesn't last long either?
May be a case of using good old cine film.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 31, 2013 04:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some cases, original film elements were transfered to videotape and then those film elements were lost over time, so transferring some of these shows from already worn tapes is the only way we'll see these shows.

"Ozzie and Harriet" is one of those shows that ha suffered over time. All the existing copies on TV that I have seen are taken from some very poor 16MM elements. From what I understand, there has been a VERY long search for "OZZIE" on it's original 35MM, (at least, from what I understand, it was first shot on 35MM).

This is certainly a case where the use of film over video, really pays off in the end. Look at the 60's shows that were shot on 35MM originally, and transferred to DVD these days! We're able to enjoy the original STAR TREK in a way that even those in the late 60's were never able to enjoy when it was first aired.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC