8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Light Refreshments? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Light Refreshments?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 15, 2013 02:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith's flyer for the 62nd BFCC on 26 October 2013 at St. Benedict's School, Ealing, quotes "Light Refreshments". Can any member say what was available at the last convention.

From the phrasing I assume there will be no hot delicious snacks which used to be served by the bar staff at Tadley.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2013 04:30 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,
From what I remember bacon rolls and hot dogs were on sale. Tea, coffee and soft drinks were available along with a small selection of biscuits and sealed slices of cakes.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 15, 2013 04:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Mal. Sounds acceptable, I can't wait!
I see the South Wales trains are going via Gloucester on the particular Saturday.

--------------------
Maurice

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2013 06:49 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diversions are quite common on weekends or so I understand.
We are traveling on the Friday, staying with my wife's sister until Monday.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 15, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hots dogs. Mmmmmm

--------------------
Dominique

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I can't wait for them bacon rolls. And a proper cup of tea!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2013 05:29 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be warned though, supplies were limited last year. By the time I found time to get something, the rolls and dogs were all gone!

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 16, 2013 02:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we should take our own food.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 16, 2013 05:34 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Lads, there must be a "chippy" not far from the venue.What better way to feed our overseas friends, there are mobile "chip
shop" vans, let 'em know, they will be only too happy to attend,
to hell with' burgers & hot dogs, at least for this venue, Fish 'n Chips, it kept this country going through the war.( but don't mention the war) Faulty Towers.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 22, 2013 09:02 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know is there is an atm machine nearby ? I presume that the large majority (if not all) of the seller will be English and will want pounds. So, as you never know what you will buy, it is difficult to foreseen how much money you should exchange to avoid to have to excange it back if you don't use it. And anyway, you may also not want to carry a lot of cash in your pocket for safety reason.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 22, 2013 10:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are cash machines at Ealing Broadway railway station.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/stations/1000062.aspx

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 22, 2013 10:47 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice. Is it at a short walking distance ?

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 22, 2013 01:40 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Approximately 900 metres.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 22, 2013 04:35 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information. It is not that close but still reachable in case of need. Hoping it will not rain or being to cold at this time of the year in London. [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 23, 2013 02:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A ten minute walk, or use the bus 226 which stops outside the school convention venue, and terminates at Ealing Broadway station.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2013 02:42 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, if you go to London keep your wallet in an inside pocket, preferably one that has a zip, as there are pickpockets in London. Maybe it would be safer to go inside a bank or building society to use an ATM machine. A railway station is a public place and you don't know who is watching you.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 23, 2013 03:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good comment from Robert.
There is a Bank 150 metres south of the railway station at 45 The Broadway, this is a branch of Lloyds TSB.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 23, 2013 07:59 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advise. I haven't been to London for several years, so I don't know how it is now. The last time I noticed that the queues for the buses was completely a thing of the past (it was the end of it the first time I went to London) as people were rushing to go inside. Brussels has saddly become unsafe for a reason that I cannot write here to follow the rules of the forum. I think that unsafety is what all the European capitals and big cities have to face.

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2013 09:27 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, many ATM's are free to use inside banks and building societies, though your card supplier may make a small charge as you are making a transaction abroad.

Most people like to dress up, but sometimes you wonder if it is a good thing, you don't want to stand out as a tourist, that goes for UK members as well.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 23, 2013 10:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
What does a tourist look like? What should we wear for this great event?

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 23, 2013 10:53 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The classic tourist???
Shorts, white socks pulled halfway up the shin, sandles, basket type trilby hat and a big camera around the neck [Big Grin] [Wink]

Turn up like that and you will be asked to leave [Wink] [Big Grin]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 23, 2013 11:33 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could dress like John Steed to look British but the result would lead like beeing as discreet as the Thompson (in Tintin) who wanted to be discreet and attracted attention by dressing themselfes as they thought was the normal dressing in China. Those who readed the comic will know what I mean. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2013 01:46 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Maurice, I remember in the 1960s/70s when I used to wear a waistcoat and a gold pocket watch with a sovereign on the end, and started getting looks that made me feel uncomfortable. I can tell a tourist in Oxford. Dress smart, but don't look too affluent.

Trying to be helpful to our overseas visitors Maurice: I remember in the 80s reading about an American tourist in London who was stabbed to death by a complete stranger who was jealous of the way the tourist was dressed.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 04:38 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After Maurice's reply I decided to look at photos of past events to see what others were wearing to "this great event", seems the order of the day is Jeans. I must be old fashioned as I still consider jeans as work trousers, something they were originally designed for. On my last visit to a theatre to see an opera, young people were turning up in tee shirts and jeans with holes in the knees; there was a time when they would have been refused entry for not wearing a tie.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 29, 2013 06:11 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus Christ, and i use the Lords name. Wear whatever you will.
don't dress down to serve the filth we have imported to our English streets, if need be, put some loose change, or batteries
in a sock, and knock the shit out of 'em. I have bested muggers
in the past.I was once accosted by a bunch of thugs with my
Susie, I clobbered the mouthpiece, the rest took off, but I knew one of them and caught him on his own, all he wanted was sympathy & a nappy change.I've taken out the bad language.
Robert is so right best bib & tucker for your event, the clothes
maketh the man.

[ August 29, 2013, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC