8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » New, dreadful software ... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New, dreadful software ...
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2013 03:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly: all technologies. No matter where and when you believe man sprung up, he started out naked and bladeless: somebody discovered these things and then improved on them.

What makes us US though is that we have the brains to figure it out, the hands to do it and the language to teach others.

How far along would we be if everybody that used fire had to invent it first?

Man shapes technology, and technology shapes man too. The guy that made the better spear ate more often and his children survived too. The people that made the better dugout canoe were able to spread out further so when the volcano blew they weren't all concentrated on that same island.

Mankind is the technological creature. If it's all bad, so are we. I'm suggesting we aren't all bad, so it isn't either.

That it is even debatable among a bunch of people with a passion for cinema using the internet as a medium is actually kind of funny!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 30, 2013 04:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep...those were the days...
 -

[Big Grin]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2013 05:02 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one Million Years B.C at the cinema as a kid. Steve, fire was discovered not invented.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2013 05:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True: Fire was discovered. (observed?)

The means to start one at will were invented. Probably the people that were good at it were the IT Gurus of the Stone Age.

-got the nice caves, ate the cooked food, dated the women with two eyebrows...

One of my favorite movies: Castaway, has the hero go through a lot of the earliest stages of technological development all in a few minutes on screen. What he had going for him when he developed his fire starting methods is he aready knew about oxygen and combustion. The earliest guys did whatever worked and the science gradually caught up later.

--------------------

Michel Boulet
Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2013 11:49 PM      Profile for Michel Boulet   Email Michel Boulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well Steve you're like 99% like the rest of the planet wich is dépourvue de romantisme.

a shame.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 31, 2013 05:50 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attack the facts, not the speaker.

I'll have to admit that's a criticism I've never been slapped with before. As an engineer I guess that wouldn't come naturally to me, then again I can't say I care either.

Hey, you make a sweeping generalization and you're going to get disagreement. Life is full of exceptions.

Technology is sometimes used to bring misery to people, I never denied that. However, it also puts food on our tables, clean water in our faucets, rooves over our heads, and information at our fingertips. It allows us to get out and experience other places, people and ideas.

Life without technology is people scratching in the dirt just trying to survive. It leads to short, ignorant, desperate lives. (There is no "Romanticism" there.) When you liberate people from these burdens they can learn, they can think, they can create, they can even be happy. It's hard to be that way when you are always a snow storm away from starving to death and your children keep dying.

That's how I see technology: a possibility for the betterment of people's lives. If that's a "cancer", then I'm proud to show up at the Department of Energy every day and be a "carcinogen".

-at any rate, going out on the Internet and denouncing technology makes you a hypocrite. You should live by your principals and cast all of it away. Be an example! Careful though, it's going to be mighty cold in Montreal in a few weeks.

--------------------

Michel Boulet
Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2013 08:18 AM      Profile for Michel Boulet   Email Michel Boulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
je ne parle ici de nourriture mise sur la table mais bien de la misere de ce qu'n peuple peut se faire avaler comme merde. je ne possede ni cartes de credits, ni de cellulaires. je suis ici pour partager mon amour pour le vraie et seul cinema soit: la pellicule et non les images froides du HD.

as a friend once told me: were not showings FILMS anymore but INFORMATIONS.

BY THE WAY: it will snow on the east coast as well.

calm down and make love to yourself and above all: DREAM.

SANS RANCUNES------------------Michel.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 31, 2013 08:51 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michel,

dépourvue de romantisme....Steve? No way.

I don't believe that can be said about anyone on the 8mm Forum.

Steve,

Technology....both gift and curse. No hypocrisy, just shades of grey.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 31, 2013 12:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't knock those people from a couple thousand years ago, they weren't just sitting around in togas. They have found a couple thousand year old batteries that actually worked, (scientists claim they were used for gold plating items), but there were quite a few advances in technologies way back then.

actually, the sciences and math were far more advanced. I do believe we were even flying thousands of years before the "Wright Brothers". Remember those rock drawings in our USA that can only be seen from the air. Why do that ...

unless SOMEONE was flying.

Or perhaps, look at the mathematical accuracy of ancient pyramids that if you draw a line from one pyramid in, for in stance, Aztec remains, you will find an exact path to pyramids in ancient Egypt, and other pyramids all around the world.

We have, 9as humanity) actually lost a lot of sciences, even with all of our cell phone laptop world of today.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2013 02:51 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much of Western herbal medicine comes from the ancient Greeks (Hippocrates); Victorian Herbalists laughed at Thomas Culpeper for saying that Herbs came under planets, and you should use herbs corresponding to your star sign; when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle came back and spoke through a medium he said the same thing, and talked about the healing values of colours. No one would laugh at him.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 31, 2013 02:59 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, you understand French ! Congratulations.

--------------------
Dominique

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 31, 2013 03:00 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The old argument of "I've nothing to hide", should make you think
what gives them the right Martin.

I have to agree with Martin. I don't really care who monitors me or why...AND I also don't care what gives them the right. None of it is important.
But, that's just me...
[Smile]

quote:
Technology is morally neutral. It's up to the basic decency of people to decide how to use it.
Absolutely correct, Steve.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 31, 2013 05:11 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've deleted a few posts here. I think there's been enough name calling and schoolyard insults to last for quite awhile. The topic is closed.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC