8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » George Formby Society

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: George Formby Society
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 01, 2013 11:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The recent appearance of Lee on a programme with George Formby material reminded my of an incident of about 12 years ago. I had found a VHS copy of "Ukulele Man" at a car-boot sale. On the back were details of the George Formby Society with the name of a member/officer(?) of the Society and a mention of other tapes and material for sale.

So I 'phoned, I think it was Stan Evans, who sent me long lists of available material. I spoke to him a week or so later for a chat and he mentioned that a lot of the tape material had been taken off 16mm film. My ears pricked up. I asked if they still had the 16mm material, and if so, would it be for sale.

The result was that my offer was accepted and I went up to Warrington to collect it all, including a BTH 301. I was entertained to some of George's songs and saw his various ukulele-banjos, each one tuned to a different key, the songs which were in that key were hand written on the vellum. It saved retuning and George was able to change instruments in a moment for a new song.

I came away with a lot of 16mm films, including a feature and a half-hour documentary gleaned from early Formby films. There was a 10 minute unedited sound/silent Pathe newsreel of George fooling about with the Army in France in 1940, and an interesting short from 1948 called "George and Beryl at the Speedway", other items included George and Professor Joad (of the BBC Brains Trust) judging a Bathing Beauty Contest at Morecombe in September 1946.
Oh, yes. Not forgetting George singing "Fanlight Fanny" from "Trouble Brewing".

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2013 11:57 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great collection, surprised they parted with, but lucky for you. George was a great entertainer.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 01, 2013 01:35 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness I was so surprised to read the GFS film archive had been sold by a former committee member as I was myself once the archivist and projectionist for a few years. I had spent many months obtaining some of those films for the Soc along with others and of course projecting them at meetings it makes me so very sad to have heard them sold off even to such a dear chap as Maurice. I’m lost for words have to say....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 01, 2013 02:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unbelievable mistake by The George Formby Society. They obviously believe that digital media is going to outlast a 16mm print! [Eek!]
No doubt they will regret their action the first time one of their master DVD's is suddenly and inexplicably unplayable. Then Maurice will get a phone call.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2013 09:08 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how did you miss these lee

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2013 09:30 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered by accident a few years ago that Christies in London had auctioned some Sherlock Holmes films that had belonged to the Sherlock Holmes Society, one was an early British talkie in 35mm, the price realised was only £70. That's not going to go very far. One day these people may come to regret their decision.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC