8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Let The Train Take The Strain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let The Train Take The Strain
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 02, 2013 06:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had planned to drive to the Ealing Convention next month, although its only 113 miles it does mean 108 of them on the M4 Motorway. I have held a UK driving licence since 1955, the roads get busier every day, and I don't fancy the two hour trip. Past Reading the motorway gets so busy, and it's a drive due east and if the sun is out it will be low and troublesome. On the return journey to Bristol (westwards) the sun will be setting and low once again. However, the advantage of the car is that I can load it up with all my purchases.

But thinking it over I didn't care much for my idea so I decided to use the train. I have now booked my ticket and hope to have a more relaxing journey. 60 minutes from Bristol Parkway, then change at Reading for a further 46 minutes to Ealing Broadway.

My change of plans will also restrict my buying. Perhaps not a bad thing!

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2013 08:31 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be a local train, as usually Paddington is the next stop after Reading, and would normally take about 30 mins. These days you have to watch what train you get on as they have different tickets for peak, off peak. you can check at the national rail website,and also get prices.

Have a good day.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 02, 2013 09:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you say, my second train is a local train. My train from Bristol continues non-stop from Reading to Paddington where it terminates. There would be no point in going to Paddington as Ealing Broadway is some five miles back westwards and I would have to retrace my journey.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2013 10:13 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much better that you can avoid the Underground. Nowadays you have to buy a zone ticket, you used to be able to buy a ticket from one station to the next for pennies, now you are forced to buy an all day ticket. I think it is around £7, the cheapest, but not 100% sure as I don't visit London often. We are very fortunate that in Oxford we have 2 bus companies running 24 hours to London about every 20 mins, and costs around £20 return.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 02, 2013 11:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My second train is the 0837 from Oxford, leaving Reading at 0933, arriving Ealing Broadway at 1019.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2013 01:05 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why restrict your purchases, Maurice?
Surely someone will lend you a "sholley"?

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 02, 2013 01:15 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7 pounds to take the underground ? That's very very expensive !

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2013 02:28 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, you used to be able to buy a ticket to the next station, now a map of the Underground shows zones. If you are going to arrive at Heathrow and take the tube it will be very expensive. I don't think you have much choice. I just hope you have a good day and find something you wish to purchase, so at the end of the day you can say you were glad you went.

Just looked at a website Heathrow Connect, and a return ticket from Heathrow to Ealing Broadway is £14.80

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 02, 2013 02:47 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin
I would probably need a reinforced sholley!
With my old flight bag I will be able to carry up to six 800'/1200' 16mm films, even more if they're Super 8.
I will be very selective with what I may buy.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC