8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Calling Projectionists.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling Projectionists.
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 07:02 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have at least 3 professional cinema projectionists, maybe more. I was interested to know whether any of you during your training made mistakes noticeable to the audience, or was the system such that it couldn't happen.

One Sunday afternoon in the 80s, I was watching James Cagney in The Strawberry Blonde being broadcast on BBC; suddenly the picture went off and we saw the countdown leader before the start of the next reel.

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 07:11 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not so bad, is it? When I saw Mystic Pizza in the cinemas, they mixed up a couple of reels. That was a quite confusing film :-)

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 07:21 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember what movie I was screening, unsing a carbon arc 35mm projector, but I remember I forgot to change the carbons between the 1st and 2nd 1hr reel and I had to interrupt the screening during the 2nd reel to change them.
Thank gods, patrons said nothing particular

With another film (it was White Fang - 1991) the film broke up during the screening and we had to interrupt it and cut more or less 3 meters of film.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 01:21 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could say this was during training but, alas, it was at a point in my projecting career when I should've known better.The film was The Final Countdown (1980).
Both reels up to speed, open the shutter - nothing on screen. I'm frantically trying to find whats wrong. Lamp is on, but....lens cap is still on the Scope lens!!!

My dad was in the audience, to make matters worse.
[Big Grin]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 02:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my first day the projectionist, was told, you do this and you do that and before I new it he was quickly heading downstairs and out the door.

I shouted after him..what if I have problems?....you will figure it out was the answer, and he was...GONE..never saw someone leave a building so quick [Big Grin]

In the following 12 years I cant remember making any mistakes [Wink]
just to good I guess.

Graham [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC