8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Les Cinglés du cinéma (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Les Cinglés du cinéma
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 08:20 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a film fair that is held in Argenteuil (very close to Paris, about 15 minutes in train) each year. It will start on Friday 27 th September (but on that day the entrance is 15 euros) and continue (entrance free) Saturday and Sunday. It used to be the biggest film fair in Europe. It is still interesting event if there are less sellers (like everywhere I guess). 10.000 visitors are expected. If by chance you are in Paris (or nearby)at these dates..."cinglé" means crazy.

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 09:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great. Are you going?

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 12:12 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I go there every year.

--------------------
Dominique

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 21, 2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a dealer there for the last 15 years. There was an ongoing topic (click here) on the forum but I haven't done any update this year.

Dominique, tu sais où je me trouve sur le plan, viens me dire bonjour.
Jean-Christophe, tu viens ?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 21, 2013 12:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pictures ! I can't wait to be there. Je passerai te dire bonjour (I will look for you to say hello).

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 26, 2013 05:56 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is near. I will take the train to Paris this afternoon...

--------------------
Dominique

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 26, 2013 10:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished setting up the table. I'm now occupying the entire back section of the smaller dealer room. You can't miss me!

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 04:08 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great event. One of these days hope to make it.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a great time guys! I'm sure you will. Please post some pics for everyone [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 30, 2013 02:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will try to post some pictures I took during the two days (sadly I didn't get the free pass for Friday that was sent by post from Tony from Buckingham Film Services who also travelled to Argenteuil, it will maybe be in my mail today...). There were less sellers and public that last year but was still great. There were new organisaters this year and, from what I understood, the informations about the event came late so that some sellers already planed other conventions. It may be better next year. Although the number of sellers and material has shrinked these last years, I found myself with two bags full of (heavy) reels and I could (if I had more money and a car to carry it) have bought a lot of more things. There were several sellers projecting films (among which a tv show from French television with a famous presentator, Guy Lux), which made keeping the magic of the ambience. I was lucky to meet Jean-Marc from this forum ! He will probably give his own feedback (as a seller). For me, for sure I go there next year.

--------------------
Dominique

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 30, 2013 11:13 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a seller's point of view, this year was OK. Not as good as last year but better than 2 years ago. A group of exhibitors, including yours truly, had a chat with the new guy in charge and we are trying to bring back the convention to its original date, which is the last weekend of January. So, the next "Cinglés" could happen either in September 2014 or January 2015.

The atmosphere was very friendly. Glad I had the visit of the Belgian contingent (ie Jean-Christophe and Dominique, who agreed to pose for a snapshot with me - see last picture).

Here are a few pics :

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2013 11:24 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG!
I think I'll pay a visit next time! [Big Grin]
I've seen things that don't come out so often (Bauer studio, 70mm spools, Kodak Sound 8...). Were all those beauties for sale?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 30, 2013 01:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your pictures are great (I am not photogenic but that's another story), so I don't need to bother Doug with mine. Fabrizio, of course all what you see was to sell.

--------------------
Dominique

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about the projector with the additional arms on top in the third picture.
What are they for?

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 30, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question, Fabrizio. At first, I thought this was a sync mag tape system but it's just a long play unit for larger reels (used when the original arms are folded back into their idle position).

--------------------

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2013 04:22 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing, it is an original one I suppose. What brand is the projector?

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2013 01:44 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Salut Jean-Marc,

I read that the organisator would probably change the date of the convention in january.
Is this really a good idea?
For my opinion, every changment for a convention ( date and place ) reduce the impact on the sellers and buyers. I've seen a difference by changing the date of the paris convention from January to september. now that everyone reserve the last week-end of septembre for the paris convention, why put it in januray again?
Overmore, january is a very bad month. If the Paris convention was in january 2013, I didn't go there because it was a snowy weather! In spetember, the weather is even better than january.

So, I think that changing the date of the Paris convention is like killing the convention!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 08, 2013 02:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was a mistake to change from January to September (but I know it was because of the building was used for the vaccination against the flue H1N1). The bad weather hasn't prevent people to go to Argenteuil for years so I don't know if it is a real problem. September is not a good time ; for those who have children as it is the (expensive) back to school time and for those who have no children it is often an holiday time (still hot and less crowded. I agree with you that changes of habits are not a good idea neither and that it should had been decided before the last convention and announced then. But what to do ? There were less sellers this year (even if from what I heard, one of the reason is that there were new organisators and they promoted the event late, it has benn dropping for a while). If nothing is tried, the convention could not attract enough people anymore to be viable (it was not the cas this time but who knows for next year ?). I prefered personnally January. I will go anyway, whatever it will be in this month or in Sepember but I think it worths considering doing it again in January. By the way, I am sorry I didn't meet you there (maybe I crossed you without noticing it).

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 27, 2014 01:30 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I readed that the convention will be held on 27th and 28th September this year (with the traditionnal sellers day, one day before, so on 26th September, this special day is also open to anyone but then you have to pay 15 euros while the two other days are free). Can anyone confirm, as it has been talked about moving the event from September to January, its genuine date ?

--------------------
Dominique

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 27, 2014 11:55 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard from the organizers yet. Last year, I got the table booking form in June so I'll let you know.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 12:48 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jean-Marc. I got my information from this site http://www.forum.westernmovies.fr/viewtopic.php?t=15581 but I was wondering if they received the official date from the organisators or if they calculated it as being the last week-end of September as it has been for the last years. Anyway, I am waiting for the event.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 20, 2014 06:14 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a confirmation of the dates ! I will buy my train tickets as soon as possible (end of June, as they sell them three monts before you travel).

--------------------
Dominique

Harley Jones
Junior

- posted June 05, 2014 07:52 AM      Profile for Harley Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Harley Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would like to attend this event, but have no idea where it is. Somewhere north of Paris? Any advice on where to travel and hotel nearby would be useful.
Many thanks

--------------------
Harley
www.cinenostalgia.co.uk

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 05, 2014 10:41 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a train from Paris (gare, gare means station, Paris Saint-Lazare) to Argenteuil (gare d'Argenteuil) which takes about 10 minutes. I personnaly always combine my visit to Argenteuil with a stay at Paris (I did the same when I went to the BFCC in London). The last years, there were less dealers so less to see and less time to spend (it was easy to stay two whole days about ten years ago with all the materil dispayed to admire) as there are less projections (not like at the BFCC). One year is not the same as the preceeding one so you never know what you will found. Last year, event if it has shrinked, there was still a lot to buy, so try to save on accomodation ;-) If you go there, you will more than probably see the stand from the shop "La bande des cinés". This shop is located in Paris (http://www.bd-cine.com/index.php) and is a kind of Ali Baba's cave. Try to visit it (open from Tuesday to Saturday from 1.30 pm to 7pm). They have lots of films and material in their shop (more than what you see on their website). Remember that the soonest you book the train from England to Paris, the cheaper it will be (they start to sell the tickets, if I am not mistaking, three months before the travelling date).

--------------------
Dominique

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 06, 2014 03:54 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you perform a search on the forum, you'll find all details (maps and explanations) from previous years.
here, for instance.
The location hasn't changed.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC