8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Local Videma

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Local Videma
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2013 09:02 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I went to my local 'videma' last night to see the double bill of "The Curse Of Frankenstein" and "Dracula".

This is the first time I have been to my local 'Penistone Paramount' for along time, the last film I went to see was "Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves" At this time it was still a cinema.

What differences did I notice.
1. The screen did not seem as large, although they did have curtains this time. Not used though!

2. Picture quality was OK. "Curse" had slightly muted colours, but was filmed in Eastmancolor so this could be correct. The aspect did seem correct, not quite 1.33:1 but a little wider. The image had black bars down each side.
"Dracula" colour much more vivid credits say 'color by Technicolor' The sound on both was very good. aspect was a little wider than "Curse" still black bars down each side, but not as big.

I would think that both were shown in original format.

Now the question film or video which do I prefer.
I'll stick with film thank you. While it is good to see these films on the big screen, I feel something was lacking in the image. Baron Frankenstein's words "Give me life"

Would I go to see another video? Could do they do seem to have a regular screening of older titles, which is good.

I'll also mention the audience, I was quite impressed with how many came to see them. About 30 in the balcony and maybe 40-50 in the stalls. Which for 55 & 56 year old films was not bad.

The first one started at 7.15 we arrived at 7.05 the staff told us we had time to get a beer, which we did. The bar reopens in the intermission.

Re the title I refuse to call them cinema's because they are now videmas.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2013 10:59 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the next few weeks my local is screening four Hitchcock classics: The 39 Steps,North By Northwest, To Catch A Thief and Dial M For Murder which will be in 3D.

[ September 24, 2013, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2013 11:43 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal. We could get them too, I would go see them if we do. I would love to "Dial M For Murder" in 3D, but I don't think the system they have does 3D.

Here's a link to the videmaPenistone Paramount

They have at least kept one of the old 35mm projectors on display, which is nice.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2013 01:49 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I did go to see North By Northwest yesterday despite having seen it many times before. The image was a little grainy in places considering this was filmed in the VistaVision system, but the film itself stands the test of time.
Next one in the Hitchcock mini season is The 39 Steps

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2013 03:30 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info, I have the first three on super 8. "The 39 Steps" from PM Films was slightly edited to about 72 minutes, but you can't really tell what was missing. "North By Northwest" complete from Derann. "To Catch A Thief" 3x400ft Marketing Films cut-down, not too badly done. Think I only paid £30 for that new again from Derann.

No older titles listed yet, I hope they decide to show one of my favourites "Where Eagles Dare" that will be a must see for me.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2013 01:32 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to see 'The 39 Steps' today with a friend who beforehand said he had seen it before. Turned out he hadn't seen this Hitchcock version after all and really enjoyed it.

Unusually, it had two censor certificates,firstly for the digital version then the original 1935 cert.I know this makes me sound a little strange but I like to see the old certificates included on dvd releases,feels like watching a 'proper' film [Smile]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 14, 2013 01:40 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waw, there are still censor's certificates shown on the screens in the UK. I didn't know that.

--------------------
Dominique

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 09:48 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to my local today to see 'To Catch A Thief' with the same friend and no, he hadn't see this one before either.
The film itself was fine, but the keystone effect was visible for the duration plus the image was cropped too tightly. This was (to me) very obvious in one shot in particular where the top of Cary Grant's head was missing.
The last of the Hitchcock season will be 'Dial M For Murder in 3D. This film has added interest because its star , Ray Milland was born and raised in the town (Neath)

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 10:02 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
November they are showing "Roman Holiday" and December "It's A Wonderful Life"

I wonder how much it costs them to show these older titles?

Yes they still have BBFC, but now they don't call themselves censors, classification is the new name.

Some of my super 8 and 16mm films have the certificate on them, which adds to my enjoyment too. "King Kong" from Mountain Films if memory serves me had the 'H' certificate

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2013 10:54 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
Yes I was aware of the BBFC name change, I was being lazy [Smile]

'It's A Wonderful Life' 'White Christmas' and a couple more whose titles I can't remember at the moment are due to be screened in the run-up to Christmas. I hope IAWL will be in B&W no that awful colourised version.

I also had a KING KONG print with the 'H' cert.

[ November 04, 2013, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2013 03:00 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the last of the Hitchcock mini season today with 'Dial M For Murder'.
The 3D worked well given the claustrophobic settings, most effective shot was Grace Kelly reaching for the scissors while being attacked.

With regard to my comment in a previous post about 'It's A Wonderful Life', well the trailer screened today was in glorious pin sharp black & white so hopefully the feature will be the same.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2013 04:14 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight four of us went to see 'White Christmas'.
The same friend who came with me to see the Hitchcock season recently was again present, this time we had our wives with us.
The 'film' itself was fine except the opening credits and the beginning of the first scene were heard but not seen until someone remembered to switch on the lamp!

At the end of the film the audience gave a spontaneous round of applause - something I haven't heard in a cinema for a long time.

I'm slowly educating my friend (who is 73 btw) because yet again he had never seen the film. That's four out of four for him now.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2013 09:07 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to see "White Christmas" last night thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt happy after watching it. It always makes me a little emotional too.

A good mix of people too, ranging from about 10 years to 70+ I would think about 90 people in total.

A few of the scenes had an almost 3D look to them, I have seen this before on films made in Technicolor, so I don't think its just to do with digital projection.

As usual the bar was open before the start, and they still have an intermission. I do feel this slightly spoils the show.

I got talking to the staff about how they pick the films! I suggested "Where Eagles Dare" Hope they can get it. 45 years old now.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2013 04:31 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I know what you mean about the 3D look; that was my thought too when we went to see it.
Tonight it was 'It's A Wonderful Life' in near perfect black and white. There was some damage to the master material on the extreme right hand side for the last few minutes, proper masking would have covered it.
On leaving the auditorium we were asked to fill in a little questionnaire about what genres of classic films we would like to see as well as specific titles.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2014 03:07 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Sunday went to see one of my favourites 'Zulu' Got there quite early as bar open.

-

The was played before and in the intermission.

Really enjoyed this film, but in some of the tracking shots I noticed a odd effect. The detail seemed to become poor. In the close Ups and more static scenes very good.

The one thing I saw this on its re-release sometime in the 70's at that time the screen was 4x3 and when a scope film came on you could here the masking moving, but down so you got a smaller image.

Coming soon Die Hard , Its A Wonderful Life & White Christmas.

I had a major lapse in dates last week. I went to see 'Plague Of The Zombies & Dracula Prince Of Darkness on the 3rd. Funny not open yet. Damm was on last night. No the 1st.

Zulu Trailer

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2014 02:29 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't go to see the others films, but my son Henry went from school on Thursday to see their Christmas treat. He was really excited he had looked at the listings for other films. I had told him that The Great Escape was on this month. Henry spotted it was on, and off we went.

Now this is quite a long film almost 3 hours and with the intermission. Got there at 7 and it finished about 11,15 I though he had dropped off to sleep at one point, but he watched it all the way, and when we were walking home he said he really enjoyed the film.

The intermission card had a nice touch the poster on the right, and the other left wishing a merry Christmas. This bit I also liked Make The Great Escape to the bar.

As to the presentation, this time it did look film like, I could see grain on the image, which did make it much better to watch.

I was also glad to see the number of people who also made the effort to see it. There were quite a few family's there, I would think about 100 in total.

I also heard a family talking on the way out how much they had enjoyed it on the big screen "It was like watching a new film"

The Great Escape trailer

Penistone Paramount

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC