8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What's In A Name? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's In A Name?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 02:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UK and the US share the same English language, but do they? A local West Country man from Taunton in Somerset has been banned from Facebook for discussing his favourite meal-time dish under "I Like Faggots".

Faggots are old traditional British dish using cheap meat from offal, mainly pork, and from the bits of the animal which are usually discarded, heart and liver, etc. The meat is minced with onion and breadcrumbs, rolled into a ball and cooked in the oven.

Facebook has now reinstated the man and explained it was a misunderstanding and said that no-one should have been banned.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=261732978

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 03:46 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice

I understand the British terminologies because my wife is from Kent, UK. We try to visit family every year or so. For example smoking a "fag" or " playing the mickey" on someone etc. Good thing I had my wife to translate!

Cheers!

PatD

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 04:44 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Faggots isn't something you hear often these days, probably a lot of young people have never heard of them. A lot of innocent statements could be misconstrued, like discussing a book at bedtime 'I like to go to bed with a Trollope', or 'My local bakery had a couple of French Tarts in the window'
Comedian Max Miller said he never told a dirty joke in his life; it was peoples filthy minds that got him his reputation.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 08:44 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some interesting 'words'

meanings

fanny
cowboy
cider

cine camera. That reminds me of the first time I visited California. Coming through customs in LAX they seem to stop everyone he wanted to know what this is my cine camera A what? A cine camera, oh you call them movie cameras don't you. Yes was his reply, then he totally wrong footed me. What DO you call "Stockings and suspenders then?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 09:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife once held up her stockings with a suspender belt - A translation on request!
George Bernard Shaw is attributed as saying "England and America are two countries divided by a common language".

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 09:40 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father had a friend who visited America with his wife; after a dinner they enquired about a sweet, it was thought that they wanted toffee or candy rather than a dessert.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 07, 2013 10:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall: "faggot" is a word that's supposed to mean a bundle of sticks.

How it became applied to other meanings I have no idea....

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 12:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine the fun I had as a teenager (and still do), with phrases like "butt load"! (it's a standard of measurement, for those who don't know) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a restaurant in America has Fish and Chips on the menu there is usually a description listed below informing you that it's fish and french fries.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 01:21 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An employer of mine told the story of his visit with his wife to business friends in Scandinavia, where it was the custom to smoke between Courses at Dinner. His wife was greatly taken aback when after the Main Course their male host asked her..."Would you like an "intercourse"1

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2013 01:32 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're quite right Steve, bundles of sticks for the fire are called Faggots; with open fires largely out of use in the UK, it's a word we seldom hear. I didn't know that Osi. Interesting post you started Maurice.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 07, 2013 02:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Intercourse used to refer to any interaction between people, even just friendly conversation.

-so much that today there is still a pretty decent sized town in Pennsylvania called "Intercourse".

The gift shops there make a fortune from this!

We stayed at a campground in the Black Forest two summers ago. Camping just wasn't camping where campfires are verboten!

(Although they did have bier!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 07, 2013 05:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid the word "faggot" is not uncommon to be used, to "put down" lets say, to demean someone. I can fully understand the reason behind Facebook to ban it. It really should not be used.

On a lighter side, how did the word french get into French fries? [Roll Eyes]

Another thing americans refer to a "torch" as a flashlight [Roll Eyes] ....of coarse they do drive on the wrong side of the road [Wink]

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 07, 2013 08:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the English Speaking portion of the world we (and the Canadians) drive on the wrong side, but we're cool most other places! I did just Dandy in Germany: Autobahn included!

The most mind blowing place I've ever been is St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands). They have left drive cars but drive on the left!

To me a "torch" is something angry mobs carry. Then again I asked a coworker in Mexico for a "Flashlight" once and when he finally figured out what I wanted he gave me "una lampara". Seems we both learned something that day.

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 01:39 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Superman come from the UK?

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 02:56 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a FILM Forum? Come on, EVERYONE knows he came from Krypton.

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 03:35 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago, on a ski trip to Canada, we were holidaying with a mixture of Canadian and British friends. There was a confused exchange one evening when we were planning an early start for the next morning, being a heavy sleeper, one of our number asked the assembled group if anyone would be prepared to “knock her up” in the morning.

Several of the young men present were eager to oblige, but were disappointed when they realised that she was only actually looking for an early morning call… [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 03:46 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or the classic tale of the American take over of the Cheltenham Ladies College (an English high class educational establishment for young ladies from wealthy families).
They were billeted in the dormitories, and were amused to find a notice on the wall under a bell-push... "If you require anything during the night, ring for a Mistress"

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 04:18 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Martin [Big Grin]
A few other different words we use are (American 1st)
Elevator = Lift
Sidewalk = Pavement
Vest = Waistcoat
Pants = Trousers

In the 70s I worked for British Rail in the Parcel Office, my co-worker on this particular day was Polish, who had stayed here after the war. An American came in and said to him ' I want to ship some baggage', he replied 'Ship, ship, this is rail'

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 05:23 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boardwalk = Pier

And the fellow who "dropped his bags off" at the Hotel before going for a walk in the park?

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 11:23 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the English/American meaning for "PANTS" The English means undergarments, in American its trousers.So as "Superman wears his pants(UK) over his pants(US) he must come from England because he wears his pants on top.

The BEST Superman (Live action)

-

Could be pushing it here, you could class them as tights?

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 08, 2013 11:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Could be pushing it here, you could class them as tights?

Yes, and perhaps a excessively so! [Eek!]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 12:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the British Language ...

Years ago, a new a lovely British lass just over from Britain, and she said to me one time, "Knock me up sometime!"

I replied, quite amused, "Well, I'm not really looking to have kids right now."

She had a lovely blush upon hearing that, "No, not tha!" she said, (the "T" was mostly silent). I wonder whatever came of her, she had looks light Audrey Hepburn, quite "waifish" and the biggest deepest eyes you could imagine and a lovely slender frame.

You get the picture!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 08, 2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being originally from Scotland, it was a well known "fact" that south of the border in England that is, they do speak funny. [Smile]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2013 02:35 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about this from my county Yorkshire

Ear all, see all, say nowt.
Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.
And if tha ever does owt fer nowt, allus do it for thissen

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC