8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Future of Film "Dealing". (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Future of Film "Dealing".
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 20, 2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AHHH ... I see de point!

It's always in the best interest of a ebay seller to properly describe they're print, especially if they are a member of the assorted forums, as word would get around of a bad seller of films.

.... but you have to be careful, even of professional film sellers. One that stands out in my mind is a person who will describe the film condition as "very good", which would make you think that the color is very good, but the seller is actually speaking of the celluloid's "physical" condition, that is, no scratches, splicey ect. It doesn't cover the actual color of the print.

I bought two prints over a years time from this chap, and both prints were far less than "very good" as, in both cases, they were faded. yes, the physical condition of both prints were very good, but with lousy color, it's not worth it. I discontinued buying from that person after that second "sting"
(you'd think I would have learned after the first time).

So, be careful, even with professional sellers ... as it is in your own best interest.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 20, 2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...the hardest part is describing the condition of the film particularly as many people who buy via fleabay will hang onto and nick pick your every word.
That's true as a very general statement, but has nothing whatsoever to do with what Rob reported in his post. The seller in Rob's case has clearly described the condition as "excellent" which is totally at odds with how Rob has described them. There's no margin for subjectivity or anything else here. "Excellent" is a straightforward description.

Rob's description of:
quote:
I described them, fairly, I thought, as in far from perfect; unsteady picture / scratches, etc.
could not be described as "excellent" now, could it??

David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2013 04:18 PM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi stated EXACTLY what I was thinking too....how different people classify films when listing.

I won't mention Ebay names but there is one in particular who ALWAYS sells his stuff high, and then you read the description. "Excellent condition", "Rare", "perfect shape, with no lines, no splices, and no vinegar", etc....etc....then at the end, "color pink" or words to that effect.

Maybe it's just me, but I call a pink print a pink print. I don't care if it's a copy of Ben Hur with Charlton Heston's fingerprints on the leader....if it's pink, all other conditions are secondary. I take pride in listing my pink prints upfront, rating it on a 1-10 scale (1 being perfect/no fade, 10 being pinker than the pink panther). [Wink]

It just really bothers me when I scan Ebay, see a title (usually with NO pictures of the print), click on it to start reading all these "used car salesman" trick terms about the 'condition'.....only to find out it's pink.

Sorry, but in my opinion, with RARE exception, most 16mm prints arent so rare that it's worth buying it when it's pink...unless it's gotten for say, $50 or less (sometimes much less).

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2013 09:49 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem, as already mentioned on another thread is that sellers are not using the same guidelines. I bought one feature from an experienced dealer, it was described as Very Good; apart from the numerous splices, there were a couple that clipped the dialogue: this should have been described as Good, not Very Good.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2013 05:40 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this thread has certainly produced quite a bit of interest and varied opinions.

As it is the season of goodwill, I've decided to start a new thread with a more positive spin; "The best film dealer and why"!!!

Happy Christmas! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC