8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Best Film Dealer and Why.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Best Film Dealer and Why.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2013 05:48 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which of the film dealers have provided the best customer service?

Top of my list has to be Barry at Independent 8.

Always top quality stuff and on the vary rare occasion that there is a hiccup, it is always swiftly put to rights.

Many years ago, I sold Barry several feature films and I was going to include some Disneys.

At that time, the Disney releases were all readily available new and Barry advised me that whilst he could pay a decent price, it was difficult to assess which titles were in demand.

He advised me that my best option was to take them to Blackpool and auction them, feeling that I'd probably get a better price.

He was very right!

What a bloke!

Also, of course, Ian at Perry's has always been flawless over the years.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 05:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Barry is the tops.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2013 08:48 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know. What about some to avoid?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 08:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It’s difficult to pick one as we are lucky to have any! Classic have been really helpful to me the last few years with all sorts of stuff and the open day weekend was a fantastic time with much effort from the company. Not many businesses open up there home to the public to wine and dine them that’s for sure. Personally I find all the professional traders excellent and each offer something different in some way what with Ian at Perry’s and his welcome sense of humour. He has been a grand lad over so many years I would have to place him really near the top but just pipped to the post will be Barry and Independent 8. He helped me the most completing my Collectors Club film collection and as has rightly been said he does check the films properly from end to end which will be very time consuming indeed. The films I purchased from Ind 8 have always been spot on and he is a thoughtful gentleman most certainly so top guy for me will be Barry.

As its Christmas and if we can look back at the ghosts of super 8 traders past Gary at Derann would have got my vote.

Happy Christmas and very best wishes to ALL our Super 8 dealers.
[Smile]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 09:23 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not wanting to be too negative, just mention that I rarely get answers to questions from many of the dealers. If I send 3 questions in a mail, usually only get answer to 1. Sometimes no answer at all. Maybe I ask too much, but I like to know things before buying. Lately I written 3 emails to Steve Osborne with no replies at all. Might be they go into the spam filter, don't know. Also asked for lists at a few places, after agreeing to send an email at the BFCC 62nd meeting, but haven't gotten anything

I do however feel happy that they give a damn and keeps trading, so hope they will continue with that

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2013 10:16 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian at Perrys gets my vote, excellent service and he seems to get the best movies coming through his hands and then on to us the collectors. I know some might say at a premium price, but he has no control over that final price, it gets what it gets in an auction like anything. Merry Xmas everyone and happy hunting in 2014.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2013 10:23 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi., Vidar, I have to agree with you .As a long time collector i have had the same problem (with a few exception ) most of the dealers do not like to answer to many question and do not mind bending the truth a little bit.However A Very Merry Christmas to one and all,all dealers included Alex.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, I had the same experience several time. However, I also had very good experiences with film dealers (even on Ebay).

--------------------
Dominique

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 10:41 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex, I am not so sure they are bending the truth, because it usually is as good as they say. But for me, the questions go unanswered, which is a bit annoying. I have mostly good experiences too. Ian at Perry's did say he throw in a few films when I bought the GS-1200 Xenon, but I never saw any, otherwise he's a great guy.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 12:28 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On this side of the pond Steve Osborne with out a doubt [Big Grin]

[ January 01, 2014, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 12:42 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For communication, consistency and honest description I'd have to say Steve Sigel (and I'm not just sayin this because he's a personal friend of mine [Wink] )

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 12:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh this would be a hard one to answer ...

In the US, Steve Osbourne! Okay, Steve is just about the only person left in the super 8 business in the states, (colonies to our friends in the UK!), but Steve has always been an incredibly generous person to the collector. he has often startled me at just how generous he is, and it's hard to startle me.

Over in the UK, it's truly a toss up between the already mentioned Barry Attwood and Ian at Perry's Films!

Barry is a very warm and wonderful fellow, with a very good knowledge of super in general, and he is the last person out there who dares to have contests!

Ian is also a very good fellow who has this incredible knack for finding prints on super 8 that no one else has ever been able to find.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But still hasn't found a Grizzly for you? I wish I had it to sell you, though what would you be looking for if you had it? ;-)

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2013 01:31 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi., Vidar, Just to give you an example off bending the truth. A dealer in the U.K. advertised a Elmo 1200 ft., Alum,.reel for sale ,which i bought, when i received the reel it was not an Elmo reel it had no name on it,same dealer film for sale told me the film was good purchase the film from him only to find on receiving the film that the sprocket holes on the film were half a frame out.Need i say more or am i expecting to much.Alex.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 01:44 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, of course not. But I haven't experienced that myself, so I can not say they bend the truth ... You can :-) Is it any of the big ones (I understand not wanting to single anyone out)?

Let's hope it doesn't happen too often, as we do need the dealers that still care enough

Merry Christmas

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2013 03:18 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Vidar. Yes i would like to name the dealer just so as let other readers on the forum know,however you or some others may have had no problems with this dealer , good luck to them. Nice to have corresponded with you .Good luck to you . Alex.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2013 05:29 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up to now I have found the dealers that are still about OK. If I have had a problem it has been sorted out quite quickly.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 11:09 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Osborne is a very good dealer. He ships fast, bills you, and his pricing is more than reasonable.
Paul Foster as well. I have gotten some great films from him as well as Ian's.
Barry is great to deal with too.

Michael Mc Dermott
Junior

- posted January 01, 2014 03:47 PM      Profile for Michael Mc Dermott   Email Michael Mc Dermott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Osborne has my vote. Always looking out for my film wants and a true gentlemen. So glad that he's part of the hobby.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 02, 2014 05:56 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2nd the nomination - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC