8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Super 8 Madness! - the documentary (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Super 8 Madness! - the documentary
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 06:15 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is a message called "Super 8 Madness!" posted in the General Yak section? read on…

30 years ago, I was working for a magazine called "Mad Movies" (our equivalent to "Fangoria", and still being published). At the time, a couple of us had made super 8 shorts and we decided to organize a small film festival in Paris to display our work (essentially scifi, horror, fantasy…)
This festival ran successfully for six years, before enthusiastic audiences up to 1500 people.
When most of the aspiring directors switched to video, and when the crowds got slightly out of our control, we decided to pull the plug.

2 years ago, while having dinner with old friends from our super 8 festival days, we all agreed it was time to produce a documentary about what it was like to be an amateur filmmaker in the 80s. JJ Abrams's fictionnal work about kids making a horror movie was being talked about by fans all over the world. Our ambition was not to compete, but to show some of the real people who, three decades ago, were trying to be the next John Carpenter or the next Lucio Fulci.

Some of them have become bona fide film pros, be it VFX designers, make-up artists, screenwriters or directors. Others have simply chosen other careers (lab tech, lawyer…)
We tracked down two dozens of them, interviewed them extensively, digitized all the films they had done at the time and collected video archives of what the festival was like back then.

Our documentary is not only about the films and the festival, but also about the context (censorship was strong in the 80s), influences, finding a way to express oneself, the long road towards adulthood and how hard it was to make the most out of this small format support (as opposed to how easier it is technically today to make amateur films).

I've just finished editing and creating the animated graphics of this 90 minutes monster. We're in the final phase of postproduction: an original soundtrack is being composed, then the film will go to mix and colour correction. We should be ready by the end of January '14 as we will start touring the film festivals. A DVD release is planned for later.

In the meantime, you may have a look at the trailer
(with english subtitles):
CLICK HERE

Merry Xmas to all and long live super 8...

[ January 25, 2014, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 07:48 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done ! I can't wait to see the full documentary.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 04:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting project...the trailer looks good [Smile]

Graham.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 05:56 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, guys.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 16, 2014 11:20 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased to report that our documentary, "Super 8 Madness!" has been selected for the International Fantastic Film Festival in Gérardmer, France, one of Europe's leading events.

Here's our official poster :

-

All details on our FB page.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 16, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnificent Jean! (I'm surprised that I didn't see this post originally!!!).

I started out in "film" the same way, making short little sci-fi flicks, mostly stop motion and pencil/ink animation, (mostly little STAR WARS epics!), and now, looking at my productions I do, it's a fond thing to look back at that pimp laden teenager making those films. Most fond!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2014 01:57 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great, I really hope to see this Jean-Marc, as I spent ALOT of time shooting super 8 epics as a teen and pre-teen!

That kid (animating Kong)was way more advanced than I was. I usually built my monsters out of plastacine and then covered them with fur - as they slowly melted under the hot lights!

Cheers
Terry

Ahh yes the glory days!

-

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 16, 2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean and Terry

Looks good...any chance you might put some of it up on "Vimeo"?

Graham

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 20, 2014 04:38 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Jean-Marc.

--------------------
Dominique

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 25, 2014 03:14 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, a bunch of us here on this forum are roughly the same age and I guess we all started the same way.

Terry, those screenshots look great. Indeed, one of these days, you should put them online for us to enjoy.

Our Kong model was provided by stop-motion wizard Jean-Manuel Costa. Something he "built quickly" (in his own words) for the film and we are extremely grateful. We are seriously thinking about producing a documentary about Jean-Manuel. Check out his website.

As fas as postproduction is concerned, colour timing and sound mix are done. Animation for the end titles was finished last night and I'm currently encoding the master that will be sent to the lab this coming monday.

World premiere at the Gérardmer Festival: thursday Jan. 30 at 11pm. Have a look at the page that the festival created for us HERE.

--------------------

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2014 11:50 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc thanks for the link to the Jean-Manuel Costa site. Wonderful stuff I'll be spending some time there.

I'll be uploading a little film (Distant Planet) soon, as I have a mpeg of it somewhere. I had put the film on DVD for my "star" for his 40th birthday. I'll start a new thread with it.

Cheers
Terry

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 27, 2014 07:50 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations - this looks fantastic! I hope it might actually inspire a few people to shoot on Super 8, as although doing so is more challenging and expensive now, I expect an equivalent film about video/digital productions shot a few years later would be look much less fun.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 06, 2014 06:15 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Super 8 Madness!" has started its festival journey. Our documentary will be screened at "Hallucinations Collectives" in Lyon, France (April 20 2014) and "Bloody Weekend" in Audincourt, France (May 31 - June 1st 2014). A national TV channel has expressed some interest in acquiring the film, yay!
More madness to be announced soon. English subtitling in progress as the international leg of the journey should begin late June, early July...

--------------------

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2014 10:11 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exciting news Jean-Marc, please keep us informed.
Cheers
Terry

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2014 11:02 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Jean-Marc [Smile]

I used to love Mad Movies magazine but I couldnt read french in my youth so just looked at the pictures!!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 06, 2014 11:49 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waw. Good news !

--------------------
Dominique

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 06, 2014 11:59 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 03, 2014 10:25 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your support, my friends. (And Terry, thank you for linking the trailer to your own website).

New screening announced, and I'm particularly happy with this one as our documentary will make the opening night of "Tourné Monté", the Super 8 Film Festival in Strasbourg, France.
May 9th, 22:45, at Cinéma Star in Strasbourg. And I'll be there for introduction and Q&A.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 06, 2014 07:17 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm proud to announce that our documentary is playing tonight in Paris at the Max Linder Panorama (the best theatre in town!)

-

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 06, 2014 09:06 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic !

--------------------
Dominique

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2014 10:34 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Jean-Marc! Well done.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2014 10:42 AM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic! We need a screening in the SF Bay Area.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2014 07:18 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Felicitations! Maybe a screening at the next BFCC?...

--------------------
Yannis

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 08, 2014 04:45 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

What a great night! The house was nearly full. We're getting great feedbacks from audience members. Not only did we screen our documentary, but also a selection of shorts from the Festival's heyday. And there were free drinks for all.
"Super 8 Madness!" will hopefully play again in Paris this fall, prior to its DVD release and I'll soon be able to announce international dates. Subtitled version should be finished this week.

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2014 11:19 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been next to no documentaries or other projects chronicling the history of Super-8, so kudos for making this a reality. I can't wait to see it when it is available in the US.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC