8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Paramount drops film (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Paramount drops film
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 20, 2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what it is, and any idea it's going away is futile.

We may as well be honest about the issue and see the good along with the bad.

One way of looking at it is we live in an era where home entertainment is getting more and more capable, and at least from a technical standpoint the incentive to go out to a movie is smaller and smaller.

It's the same thing that's been going on ever since people started getting radios in their homes (never even mind TV): if the theatrical Cinema can't stay two steps ahead technologically pretty soon it will go away.

This gave us sound, then it gave us color, then it gave us 'scope, then stereo.

-and the process never ends. we're just in a new phase of it.

So it may be digital cinema, or none at all.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 20, 2014 10:13 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't confuse home video projection as being equal to TV. It is a totally different ball game. Blu Ray on a large flat panel TV can, more often than not, look grossly over saturated and very unnatural. Projected onto a large screen in a dark room however, blu ray comes into its own with a picture looking much closer to film.
Top quality Super 8 prints can often look much more pleasing than projected Blu Ray. Case in point, my Derann print of That's Entertainment 3 has much better color than anything I can get on digital, which looks muddy by comparison. Same thing for Mickey's Christmas Carol , the blue ray screen shots look a disaster in comparison to the Derann S8 print.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 21, 2014 12:32 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love film but I have to say that here in NYC, Digital Film is hard to tell apart from traditional film. It looks really good. That being said, when I hear of a Feature of a Super 8 film for sale that I want I get really excited. But somehow DVD's just don't do it for me as a collectible medium. I would rather keep digital files of the film than to have to put in a disc. But film...being able to hold up the film and see the frames...that is something that never ceases to amaze me.
When all the other film companies follow suit, and they will because of the savings in $$ and the increased profit margin, I feel many of the companies that make film stock are going to fold as well.
I had a discussion about Super 8 vs. DVD many years ago with a friend and told him that the Super 8 picture when blown up looks so much better than a DVD or Videotape blown up. That was true then but now the gap is closing and does so year after year.
Of course if you really want a great Video Projector, I saw one on my trip to Japan last year. The picture was truly stellar. Looked like film so I checked out the type of projector it was. I don't remember the model but when I looked it up on the net I saw that it retailed for $24,000!
You can get a lot of GS's for that money..but of course you wouldn't be able to see "Wolf of Wall Street" on it.
I guess I'll just keep on playing my 600ft'er of the Muppet Movie till it breaks!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 21, 2014 01:23 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just my opinion ... When I see new films, be it on Blu-Ray or cinema, I see the tint of blue or green, I believe it's mostly green. I can't say if my eyes is doing this or my brain, but that's what I see. When I saw Gremlins and the camera pans down the street when Billy goes to work, the background isn't moving as smooth as on the 16mm print. I guess I might be picky, but my friend and I see mostly the same things (he's even worse than me).

Had this problem with games when I collected them too. How can a game like Grand Theft Auto be sold in so many copies? It's absolutely appalingly coded with all the backgrounds stuttering. And people say it looks good. So I might be the problem myself, but that's how my brain receives this.

People are using Netflix and if someone here tells me that is good quality, I don't know. All my opinions and I can't change them because anyone says I should. Video give me much less satisfaction, film has given me a new hobby, which I apparantly love more than most. 2K cinema was even more horrible, with all the pixelations, especially in dark scenes. Almost threw up when I saw I am Legend, due to the quality. If my local cinema is bad or not, I don't know, but it's not better at the Odeon in London. The compression is not good enough and if you can't see the stutter of a missing frame or two, good for you. I see it and get a bad experience from it. My opinion

Sorry, I'll get out of this now and have not much more to say really.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 21, 2014 07:06 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the information we put here is great! Were just sharing experiences..good and bad. Its all good! [Smile]
I didn't notice the bad quality on the latest films Ive seen but once I went to an advance screening (free) for the press and public. So they could create a buzz for this film called, "Along came Polly".
Once I got in and they started playing it- I noticed the blacks weren't that great and also when they did an aerial shot of a building at night...I saw aliasing..stuttering..jerky.
I went up to the projection booth and peeked in. Digital Video!
That looked terrible and I felt short changed. Even if i didn't pay! But I haven't seen something that bad in a few years. But I have definitely seen bad video projection.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2014 07:29 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing to consider is sometimes they rush BluRays to market and the transfer is no good or the restoration team did a bad job color correcting.

This was usually the case of DVD vs Laserdisc. DVD has better picture than Laserdiscs but Laserdiscs, more often than not, had better sound mixes. In fact thats what Laserdisc is famous for besides being gigantic.

Usually I buy BluRay if it doesnt exist on Super 8 or if it is a long shot to find on Super-8.

There many many bad transfers out there though. Sometimes it exists on Super-8 but not on BluRay or the BluRay version is a crummy transfer while the Super-8 is a really nice Derann print. In those cases the choice is obvious. As long as I can get my hands on it:)

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 21, 2014 12:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really a terrible idea from the studios. Film, as we all know, has it's own specific qualities that, even with adding "grain" to digital, just can't replace.

With everything becoming so lifelike, (with digital), I really don't care for it, as were just watching a digital projection.

Quite sad, but predictable.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC