8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ebay bid retraction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay bid retraction
Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2014 08:23 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe a bid can get retracted, I thought a bid was a binding contract. Someone retracted a bid on one of my auctions the reason given was:Entered wrong amount

Whats stupid is his bid amount retracted was exactly the opening bid amount.

Its appearing ebay is better for buyer then sellers, sellers have no rights

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 25, 2014 08:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Don't forget, however, on the other side sellers can also cancel someone's bid or cancel a listing.

The rule says retracting or cancelling a bid can only be done before 12 hours of the end of a listing.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2014 09:40 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a seller just refund my money after I won and not send the item. I assume they didn't think they got enough for the item. They got pissed off when I gave them average feedback but how could I have given any more than that when I didn't get my item.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2014 01:01 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes ebay does have some weird allowances for both buyers and seller...I have had more than 10 bids on auctions that were cancelled in just the past 6 months....I think some sellers have figured out a weird loophole where they can use ebay as some sort of free advertising by listing high priced items, their email and then cancelling the auctions.....

I have also had buyers cancel bids on me, so I think it is just one of those unfortunate annoyances we all have to deal with on ebay..

I almost had a meltdown last week with a seller where I won an auction on an extremely rare item (only one I have ever seen in all the years ebay has been around), the seller immediately filed a cancel transaction request and messaged me saying that he was approached by someone locally and sold the item for more money...I went ballistic and told him it was unethical, blah blah blah and that there was no way I would agree to cancel the transaction and that I would fight it til the end. Thankfully he came back with "Oh turns out I had another, so I'll send yours right out." I think sometimes you can appeal to their better judgement and get them to still act ethically even when they try to pull a fast one, so don't ever give up...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2014 03:14 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 2 years ago I was the winning bidder on a set of three projectors, all top end models, that I reckoned were worth around £300. The winning bid was £80. The seller then did the old cancel the transaction routine citing the fact that he had meant to place a reserve on them, he was selling them for his father, and other nonsense. I let it go but it did upset me. A more recent puzzle (only last week) is that i listed a camcorder which didn't sell with a starting price of £20. I then received an email from someone claiming to live near me asking me to accept £25 if he could collect the item in person. I informed him that I have relisted the item with a starting price of 99 pence. Three days later, he still hasn't placed a bid. A con of some sort? Ebay is getting to the point where it's hard to make a profit and leaves one wondering whether it's worth the hassle.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John
I have to agree with you there. By the time Ebay have taken their cut and Paypal too, It does make you wonder whether it's all worthwhile, especially when you get a buyer that expects a plug in and play machine which we all know is not the case with old projectors. The problem is where else would you get such a wide audience to sell stuff like ours?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2014 01:46 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep it is hard to imagine how much money actually disappears once both places take their cuts, but I still think they shouldn't be so forgiving of cancelled bids, and cancelled auctions...

There should be some sort of tally, so that if a seller or buyer cancels 2 or 3 in a 6 month period, they get a suspension or something, because the only time I ever cancelled something was an auction from ebay France and I failed to notice that the seller only accepted wire transfers, and since it was a pricey 35mm print that I was going to have to pay a boatload of shipping, I did not want to pay extreme wire transfer fees on top of it, so the seller agreed to let me cancel my bid..

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 28, 2014 02:06 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only reason (at the top of my head) I can think of to allow a cancellation would be if the item(s) they're selling turns out to be defective. If you "must" have 100 dollars for it, don't set the start bid at .99 if you won't let it go for less. Or put a reserve on it. It's legally binding, I believe, once you put the item up for auction

Had this cancellation happen to me a couple of times

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC