8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Chrome & Firefox

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chrome & Firefox
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 02, 2014 06:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went onto my local Council's web-site to register a change and after clicking the relevant section I was greeted with a comment that it could not accept my input and gave me two choices, to download Chrome or Firefox.

I am using Windows 8.1 with Internet Explorer.

If I download one of the suggestions will it upset my existing I.E. or will it just sit in the background unless required for a function?

Also, will it take up more storage space?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 02, 2014 06:46 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My computer has all three installed and nothing wrong to happen. But yes of course take up more space.

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 02, 2014 07:20 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try using the "compatability" feature if IE. It's the icon next to the refresh arrow. This may fix the issue.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 02, 2014 08:34 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running XP? If so, you can't get the new IE's, but if you have Windows 7, update to IE 11

Too bad the "new" flashy stuff should keep older browsers from working. I use straight HTML code myself, so should work in even the oldest IE. New stuff sucks more and more. Long live reels and retro

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 02, 2014 10:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My computer is Windows 8.1 and runs Internet Explorer 11. Whilst I can go into the Council's web-site, when I click to be forwarded to their section that I need I get the following screen:-

"Sorry, this page uses features that are unavailable in your browser. Please download one of the following CHROME FIREFOX."

I have spoken to a computer literate friend (I am not!) and he says that when a computer has more than one browser loaded one also has to be the default, and as such it is necessary to change this setting as and when required.

I am not going to download anything new, and will now rely on using the alternative method offered, the good old telephone.

Many thanks to all for your comments.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice...

I have a computer running Windows 8.1. It too came with IE loaded, but generally I prefer Firefox. Since getting the computer I have downloaded both Firefox and Chrome. Both simply place an icon on the desktop, and if say you wish to use Firefox you just simply click on the icon and the Firefox search page opens. Initially, when you instal Firefox and/or chrome, or both, they ask if you wish that particular search engine to be the default engine. You can simply say no and leave IE as the default. Then Firefox and Chrome only open when you click on the relevant icon on the desktop.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2014 02:37 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a part-time ICT consultant I can strongly recommend Chrome. Also; you should never use IE. It has loads and loads of security holes and is generally a lot less safe than Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 02, 2014 03:00 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christian. IE is poor in all respects really.
Maurice, I use Chrome as my default browser. It's so much quicker. It's not at all a problem to download and use.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 03, 2014 05:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate all your kind comments. I have decided to keep my computer as it is.
I have just come back from my Council Offices and have done what I wanted "over the counter", and also expressed my comments about their Web-Site. A non-committal reply was received.

--------------------
Maurice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2014 09:58 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christian I use chrome all the time you should have all your eggs in 1 browser since ie is the most widely used browser out there it most likely to be attacked and if something should happen to ie you would have another browser to use, by all means one should have at least 4 browsers on your desktop they are small enough icons that do not take up much space, safari, chrome, firefox, and even opera are good choices.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 03, 2014 10:46 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately there are still some sites that are coded for IE only. As previously mentioned...IE has so many security holes that it should be used only when necessary. Chrome is my default browser and it works extremely well with 98% of the sites I visit. Firefox has a nice add-on app for downloading videos, so I use it occasionally. Between Chrome, Firefox, and IE they cover 100% of my web browser needs.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC