8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Saving Mr. Banks Blu Ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saving Mr. Banks Blu Ray
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 28, 2014 06:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney have just released the blu ray of Saving Mr. Banks and it is a stunner. Gorgeous colors and contrast, and pin sharp throughout. Just as Disney was the gold standard for super 8 prints, they are now the gold standard for blu ray releases (with the very notable exception of Mickey's Christmas Carol which is awful comparecd with the S8 print). Included is a very nice featurette about Walt and the Disney studio, including a moving 2013 interview with the composer of Mary Poppins, Richard Sherman.
What a great movie this is with perfect performances by Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks, and loaded with nostalgia for the Disney Studio during the period of Walt's reign.
Will someone explain to me why this wonderful film was totally overlooked by The Academy, and that crappy CG movie Gravity, which has zero acting in it, scooped up a bunch of awards? [Frown]
Essential for any Disney film buff. 5 stars.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 28, 2014 10:18 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

I am of the opposite mind when it comes to Gravity, however I completely agree with you about Saving Mr. Banks. Emma Thompson is amazing and so deserving of an Oscar nomination. Tom Hanks is splendid. Colin Farrell, B.J. Novak, Jason Schwartzman and Paul Giamatti shine in supporting roles.

What a wonderful film.

Hmmm....this is my three thousandth three hundred and thirty third post......Nice to see all those 3's lined up.

-

Doug

[ March 29, 2014, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2014 10:54 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I left the movie theatre at the end of Saving Mr Banks feeling quite uplifted without having been fed too many spoonfuls of sugar. I would have been disappointed by the film's lack of awards if I didn't believe such ceremonies are a load of nonsense.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 25, 2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got around to watching this the other evening having waited for it to become available on Blu Ray here in the UK.

As Mary Poppins was one of my favourite childhood films, I knew already that I would love the story, but the acting throughout far surpassed my expectations, from Walt himself (Tom Hanks) to PL Travers (Emma Thompson)to the Sherman Brothers and even The Chauffeur... Just brilliant.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film (or should I say movie nowadays), and was truly moved by the tragic childhood storyline running alongside present day life of PL Travers. It is no wonder it took Walt over 20 years to get Pamela to agree to the film (which it really was back then!),given that the story was so personal to her despite all of it's fantasy.. truly fascinating stuff for me.

Paul and I, it would seem, have very similar views and tastes on film and I can only echo his sentiments entirely.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 26, 2014 01:50 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to confess that I haven't any blu ray player, yet. My tv set is a HD ready one but as it not full hd, I wouldn't see any difference between dvd and blu ray. The only thing that could make me buy a new tv is to go for a 3D model. Otherwise, I will wait that my 6 year old Philipps shows signs of oldness before replacing it.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 26, 2014 06:27 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
As Paul has already pointed out here, Walt Disney Studios appear to have set the benchmark on Blu Ray picture quality standards. I have nearly all the released Disney films on DVD and a quite a few now on Blu Ray (in many cases duplicated), but the Blu Ray editions when projected large with a decent HD PJ give off the very best home projected picture quality I have ever seen... just stunning!

Some of the very best include: The Lion King, Lady And The Tramp & Beauty & The Beast.

--------------------

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 12:03 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Paul as regard the "Oscar" awards. I have always found the BAFTA ones far more sensible. I also think the same about the Disney releases. They have always seemed to be of better quality than other producers even on VHS and standard DVD which I still use. I have not bothered to change up to bluray as I have collected a vast quantity of VHS and DVDs over the years and at my age it does not seem worthwhile to change unless my current players give up the ghost!! Ken Finch [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 02, 2014 03:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the difference in picture quality is THAT noticeable between DVD and Blu-Ray when used in conjunction with modern HD flat paneled televisions up to say 46 inches, especially if the DVD player upscales.

For projection, the difference is chalk and cheese!
I used to think most DVDs looked ok on my 10ft diagonal screen, and they did...until of course Blu-Ray came along with full HD definition. It is unbelievably sharp and clear even on much bigger images than I project.

I can only imagine just how good 4k will look when the hardware and software becomes more affordable and readily available.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 02, 2014 03:49 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I watched a film this afternoon in what was a cinema and had, once again, this thought that profesionnal digital projection is still not as good as 35 mm when there is a scenery on the screen. It looks not sharp. Am I idealizing 35 mm ? (difficult to compare as you cannot easily watch 35 mm projections anymore) Did I go in theaters were they have cheap or outdated equipment ? (the screen was dirty by the way where I went this afternoon) I noticed the lack of quality of the picture of some scenes of "films" in several places in Brussels and Paris. It seems sometimes that my tv set, though it is a hd ready one and not a full hd gives a better picture that what I get at the "cinema".

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 02, 2014 04:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been said on many recent home cinema digital projector reviews, that the image quality far surpasses that of the cinema.
It is probably due to the relatively small screen sizes when used in the home environment Dominique.
However, I have to say, that when I have blown up the image to the the full width of my living room(around 16ft), the image in the screen portion is still crystal clear from my full HD Panny.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 02, 2014 06:40 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything that Andrew has said about digital projection. Just like him, I though that DVD projection was superb on my 10ft screen (and indeed it is most of the time). But Blu Ray projection raises home digital projection to a whole new level of clarity and beauty. Most Blu Rays are breathtaking to view on the home cinema screen, and in fact I honestly believe my blu ray projection from the Panny 4000 is better than anything digital that I have seen at my local cinema.
Flat panel TV'S leave me cold. There is something flat( [Big Grin] ) and unnatural about the Blu Ray picture on such displays. But Projected Blu Ray 10ft wide is simply superb.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2014 11:30 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with you, Dominique. There is really no need to go to the cinema anymore given home HD equipment produces far superior picture quality than what cinemas offer.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2014 11:31 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with you, Dominique. There is really no need to go to the cinema anymore given home HD equipment produces far superior picture quality than what cinemas offer.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 17, 2014 06:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched Saving Mr. Banks again at a local church social. It was very well received. Emma Thompson was brilliant, absolutely brilliant, and Hanks was superb as Disney. It is a travesty that this film received no Oscars, and specifically that Thompson did not get an Oscar for her stunning performance. Can anyone even remember who won best actress this year? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2014 09:52 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cate Blanchett won for "Blue Jasmine". I didn't see it. Emma Thompson was amazing in "Mr. Banks" and she wasn't even nominated for an Oscar! She was nominated for a Best Actress Golden Globe but she lost to Cate Blanchett. Blanchett won 30 awards for "Blue Jasmine" so she must have been really good.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC