8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is This True?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is This True?
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2014 01:46 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The European Union has decreed that the old imperial measurement system is now outlawed.

The Paul Newman film 'Never Give An Inch' is to be retitled 'Never give An 25.400mm'

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2014 03:02 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fight back. 16mm film to be known as 5/8 inch film.

--------------------
Paul.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 28, 2014 03:15 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`m a beggar for often reminding the kids what a score or gross is, and a bakers dozen etc etc.

We get weighed in stones and pounds, and they know about old money and inches and feet. Oh dear. We had better watch out !!!

Best Mark.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 28, 2014 03:36 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just when after all these years I was adjusting. [Confused]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2014 05:25 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to disappoint, but it's another Euromyth, probably invented by the Daily Express or the Daily (hate) Mail.

quote:
The EU has criminalised the use of imperial units in Britain.

Trading with non-legal units has always been an offence through the centuries. It has been a criminal offence to use the peck and bushel since 1968. Other units whose use has been a criminal offence for some years include the stone and hundredweight. Penalties are set by national governments.

On the wider issue of denying freedom of choice, weights and measures legislation is there to protect the public, by ensuring that the standards used for measuring equipment are maintained, and that traders are providing honest and open information to the public. Trading Standards Officers protect the public against unscrupulous traders. To permit traders and public to pick and choose which units they want to use would lead to anarchy, and the sort of confusion that anti-metric supporters claim to be against. There was no outcry by such people when a UK publican was fined by Trading Standards for selling beer in metric measures! Nor were there any complaints when it became illegal to sell by the stone several years ago.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2014 02:19 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo Mike!! [Smile]

--------------------
Paul.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2014 03:13 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We laugh now, but Derann actually went through a short phase of listing all the second hand films in metres [Eek!] [Confused]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2014 04:52 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Other units whose use has been a criminal offence for some years include the stone and hundredweight. Penalties are set by national governments."

I wonder if that's why why I go to the hospital and they weighed me in kilos and I ask for it in English, they then proceed to stick a needle in me. OUCH.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2014 06:45 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that joke from when the UK introduced the metric system to replace imperial weights:

Female pensioner: " I'd like two pounds of potatoes please"
Grocer: "Sorry, my lovely, it's kilos now"
Pensioner: Oh, I'll have two pounds of kilos please"

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC