8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Question about DLP Projector S-Video Cable (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question about DLP Projector S-Video Cable
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2014 09:28 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found an old Toshiba DLP Projector fairly cheap. It has an S-Video input and I want to hook it up to a blu Ray player but the player only has HDMI. Do they make a cable with an S-Video with a HDMI end? I looked on the internet and could not find anything? Is there a way I can hook this up to a blu ray player going thru the S-Video Cable? Right now I have it hooked up to my old VHS/DVD player that has the S-Video input. The picture quality is stunning.

Any advise on the subject would be greatly appreciated! [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2014 09:41 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roger,

You'll need to convert the signal with a US version of something like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005CAMFDI?pc_redir=1405129285&robot_redir=1

Have a look around the internet.

As I suspect you know, you'll only get 480i resolution.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2014 09:52 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,
Thanks for your reply and input. Since the resolution would be only 480i I'm probably better off just running it thru my VHS/DVD player. I might try and find an old DVD player only with a S-Video input. The trouble with them is the laser that reads the disc they go out way too soon.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2014 09:56 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Composite-S-Video-Converter-DA-HDRC/dp/B 009TC9T7K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I suppose it would let you watch Blu-ray Discs on your projector, but yes it would be limited to Standard definition as only HDMI to HDMI can provide 1080i / p and the projector sounds like it is SD anyway.

Still, I used a DLP with DVD and S-Video for many years with very nice results.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 26, 2014 04:05 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Component can also do do 1080i i think if memory serves me right. Is that right Rob as your knowledge on these matters will far surpass mine?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 26, 2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats right Andrew. The three RGB component connector will transfer 1080i, but not 1080p which has to have an HDMI connection.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2014 05:14 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Andrew, you are correct. Intact component can actually carry 1080p, but I didn't want to overcomplicate things because in practice, many manufacturers either block component 1080 HD signals due to fear of easier methods of HD piracy, or just don't support it.

In the early days of HD, many displays would happily accept component 720 from HD DVD or Bluray, etc., but these days, although technically possible, the potential complexities make it a rather uncertain and rarely supported option to pursue when HDMI is readily available.

Maybe Roger could confirm the resolution of his projector and any alternative available inputs so that we can be sure he is getting the best results.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 27, 2014 01:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for clarification Paul and of course Rob for his detailed explanation. What a fantastic knowledge base we have within this forum, just superb!

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 27, 2014 02:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What model projector? It shouldn't be hard to find all the specs and input options online with the model number.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 08:53 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your valuable input. Brad the model is a Toshiba
TDP-XP2U. I'm really impressed with the quality of the picture it gives. It has the Texas Instruments Brilliant Technology and as I understand from what I have read on the internet it's the best for picture quality. The colors are really vivid and very clear with a really sharp picture!

I hate to say it and I realize it's a new toy to play with but I'm liking this more than the films. I'm sure in time the fad will eventually wear off and I will go back to viewing my films again. [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 09:28 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.projectorreviews.com/projector-specs/toshiba-tdp-xp2u/

Component inputs looking promising.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 10:23 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello roger. i think you may find that the fad does not wear off. once you experience hd digital projection in your home it is very hard to ignore its advantages. stunning large picture. tremendous sound and being able to watch films as they should be seen. have fun.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 27, 2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Films were not intended to be projected with a digital machine. You're free to prefer digital, but be aware that it is not cinema, it is something else.

--------------------
Dominique

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 27, 2014 01:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely use the component inputs and set your bluray player's output to 1080i. Ditch that S-video nonsense.

Get yourself an older bluray player that has component outputs. I can personally vouch for the Panasonic DMP-BD30 model as being a good machine with component AND discrete 6 channel outputs.

Here is a current ebay unit for sale for $70.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 27, 2014 01:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on setting up the digital projector Roger. I have had digital for 10 years now and I never get tired of watching one of the tens of thousands of DVD and Blu Ray titles projected on a big screen, with great picture and sound, all in the dark like the real cinema. It has opened up a whole new vista of film enjoyment for me and my family, and I could not live without it - simply the best investment I ever made. Anyone with a digital projector will tell you that there is no comparison with a big flat panel TV, which IMO is still like watching TV.
Unfortunately though you have been bitten by the cine bug, and even though it may go into remission for a while, the urge to scratch some reel film will eventually come back. [Smile]
I have found though that the cine bug will live quite happily with the digi bug. [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 03:16 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad for the heads up on the blu ray player on ebay. Does that accommodate regular DVD though?

And Paul I did not mean this to happen my wife and I were out riding our bikes and stumbled upon a yard sale. The guy had two of them the other one was LCD and he hooked both up and the DLP was the winner hands down. So it was an accident waiting to happen I guess? One positive thing that came out of it all is I now have more money in my pocket to spend on the DVDS. Film was getting kinda expensive!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 27, 2014 03:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it will play bluray or dvd.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 27, 2014 03:52 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger,we have all made the transition to Digital projection at one stage or another, I even sold almost every film I owned once because I thought I had seen the light in the advent of a certain Sharp XVZ1E ha ha.

Nowadays it is has all gone full circle for me. I love my HD perfect screenings, but it has to be said, that once you have fell in love with film and film projectors once, it never leaves you. It is very much like a drug or smoking in that you simply HAVE to re-visit it one day once it is in your system or dna!

Enjoy your screenings Roger in whatever format you choose but don't be at all surprised if in the future, you like them in all different ways! lol.

--------------------

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 05:14 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew and Brad I just bought the blu ray Panasonic on ebay you recommended. Looks like its exactly what I have been looking for. Has great reviews and many features.
Thanks again.
Roger [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 27, 2014 08:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger, I hope you decide to keep cine in at least one of your many hats, but even if you do now go 100% digital I hope you will still continue to visit and post here and keep in touch on this forum. Whether you know it or not, you have made many unseen friends here, and I include myself, so we all hope you don't now do one of your disappearing tricks! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 10:04 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries Paul I'm not getting out of film because it's in your blood and thanks for your kind words and the feeling is certainly mutual.

I would never consider leaving the film forum because I have made many great friends here and everyone is really
friendly and always so helpful in sharing and I consider you all family now. So the only thing that is going to disappear is my bunny.

[Smile]

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 05:29 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That projector has a resolution of 1024 x 768,so if your BD player can output to that scale, then you will get a reasonable image via component cables.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 28, 2014 05:56 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better than that of an S video feed, that's for sure!

--------------------

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I may be in trouble here because on the back of the projector for Component inputs there is an S-Video, 1 yellow marked Video RCA Jack, and audio in & audio out but they are not RCA jacks but both are 3.5mm mini jacks. So now what do I need to do then get a splitter for the sound now? Or from my stereo RCA jacks do I just run them directly to the Blu Ray Player and avoid the audio in & audio out on the projector?

Also on the Panasonic DMP-BD30 model blu ray on the back has the audio out two rca jacks front & surround to choose from which of the two should I use then? Also it has a sub woofer input so would it be worth adding a sub woofer?

Any advise on what to do would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Roger [Confused]

[ July 28, 2014, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Roger Shunk ]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 11:03 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger, the audio doesn't need to go anywhere near the projector, just use whatever audio out you are using from your player straight to your amplifier.

Let's sort your video out first;

The component input should be three round sockets coloured blue, green and red and labelled as component input.

A Bluray player or DVD player with component output has three similar sockets labeled component out.

You'll need a specific component video lead to connect them.

The yellow socket is composite video, which is the lowest form of video and should be ignored.

Sounds like there isn't component input on your projector which is odd as it is on the specifications

Maybe it is located elsewhere on the projector body??

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC