8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Hollywood Directors in Talks with Kodak to Keep Film Alive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hollywood Directors in Talks with Kodak to Keep Film Alive
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2014 11:00 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally some good news from the film front:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/29/5950215/hollywood-joins-forces-with-kodak-to-keep-movie-film-alive

Nice to see someone making the effort, and for the right reasons: to preserve what is a unique and timeless production format.

Claus

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 30, 2014 11:28 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love those guys. I do hope so that they get the point across, cause digital just ain't doing it for me

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 30, 2014 11:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always good to hear!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2014 05:49 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
While it selfishly does my film heart good to hear of the development, the Wall Street Journal reports that Kodak's motion picture film sales have plummeted 96 percent since 2006. Wow. A business can't be expected to sustain those type of losses, no matter how much one pines for the days of yore.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2014 08:04 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let's forget we're in a time when even digital's becoming obsolete, & the future is the cloud-they say; so whatever prolongs the existence of film as medium is good news...

--------------------
Yannis

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 31, 2014 12:16 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The future is in the clouds". It is almost philosophy [Wink]

--------------------
Dominique

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2014 06:39 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...well whole thing with the cloud is kind of 'sublime' isn't it? [Razz]

--------------------
Yannis

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2014 01:38 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this comment from a reader of the related Wall Street Journal article: "It would be ironic if Kodak were saved so that it could continue to produce film, given that the reason it's in bankruptcy is precisely because it did continue to produce film."

So true!

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2014 07:40 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe at some point, new methods incorporating 3D printing will be integrated to revolutionize film manufacturing into the 21st century, with the result of multiple emulsion choices at lower costs than ever before.......a game changer for the motion picture industry.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2014 04:20 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree-3D printing might offer a good solution;let's hope we'll also see this on S-8 too!

--------------------
Yannis

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2014 09:13 AM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A company named Organovo is already 3-D printing human tissues for the eventual goal to use in transplant surgery. It seems that technology would make film emulsions a piece of cake.
One hundred years from now... movies will still be made on film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC