8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Kids React To Old Cameras

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kids React To Old Cameras
Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2014 04:17 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was funny.
And the cameras aren't even that old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDtWxURLlPk

Toward the end, one kid, Tyler F. gives a heartwarming answer as to which camera he prefers.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 10, 2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was adorable Clay. I liked the kid that hoped there was a tutorial on YouTube to show him how to load the film [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 11, 2014 06:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way the cameras and how the system worked are presented to the kids will of course give them the feeling that it was suffering to make pictures not so long time ago. The boy who said that a picture kept on phone will not last forever is, sadly, right. How many digital pictures will actually survive ?

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 11, 2014 07:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just like digital music or digital anything, it will survive while ever it is preserved and treasured. New large capacity hard drives are very inexpensive nowadays, so just back everything up!.. Simple!

More in question I would say, is how much digital media is actually valued in the same way we valued or photographs, slides, movies or record collection for example.

I used to think I was doing well having a record collection that run into several thousands. Nowadays I have over 500,000 tracks on my hard drive! Do I value them all in the same way I did my 45's? No is the simple answer. It's just too cheap, accessible and throw away to ever be valued in the same way I did using my pocket money as a kid to buy records or films.

I was DJ'ing up to 5 years ago and believe me digital DJ'ing is far easier and far more creative than vinyl ever was. That's not to say I don't like vinyl or all things analogue because I do, but the digital age we now live in gives perfect repeatable results every time a file is played.

For us 30/ 40 / 50 somethings, we are privileged to have lived in an era that has allowed us to use both and therefore weigh up the technical merits of all technological advancements so far. Wind the clock on another 50yrs and those kids featured on there will be reminiscing about the the good old Mac book pro with their kids and Grandkids chuckling away at them!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 11, 2014 09:29 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's telling is the kids taking selfies with a 35mm camera. There was no such thing as a "selfie" back in film days. A picture cost money, and people would consider taking a picture like that a waste of film. (-and a little narcissistic...but that's another story.)

It's nice that a given picture is basically free these days, the problem with it is it doesn't encourage people to become better photographers: shoot a whole bunch of pictures, sooner or later one of them is bound to be a good one. People with machine guns don't worry about marksmanship!

I think in most cases the camera itself is becoming an endangered species. People take pictures (and movies) with their phones these days.

-an idea that back when a "phone" was something wired into the wall people would have found completely insane.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 11, 2014 10:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, the trouble is that many pictures are not saved on a separate hard drive and when your computer (or telephone) is stolen or definitely broken there is no way to get the pictures back. My aunt died last April. Her computer was stolen and with it all her recent pictures. The fotoalbums did not interest the fieves so only old pictures were saved.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 11, 2014 01:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear what you are saying Dominique and in your Aunt's case, it is indeed very sad.

I think the thing to keep in mind with all associated treasured digital media is always make a copy by backing the files up on a separate hard drive as they are now very cheap for a very large back up drive.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 11, 2014 01:51 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, another problem with computers is that they are almost protected by a password that only the owner knows. What happens when he dies ? How can you access the pictures ?

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 11, 2014 03:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A separate standalone Hard Drive doesn't need a password to access it Dominique and people tend only to password everything possible, if they have something to hide, is my experience of these things sadly.

--------------------

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The kids behave as if taking a photo is so VERY difficult. That's how I feel about using those blasted smartphones and Windows 8! I'd go back in time in a New York minute on certain things. I've got some rotary dial telephones I would like to connect at home (but my wife won't have them).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 11, 2014 04:13 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, you're right about the fact that you could not use a password but usually, you put other documents that pictures on your separate hard drive and they may content informations that could be used wrongly (to empty your bank account for example), so in practise, your pictures are protected by a password.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 12, 2014 02:40 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that was an old camera. [Roll Eyes] My "OLD" Canon FTB is ancient compared with that one. [Smile]

I must admit I am getting tired of hearing the word "OLD". I hear it on the school run. I don't think I would have the patience to be a teacher [Smile] that's for sure [Wink] ...

It would be nice if they could make a video with the kids taking an actual photo and following it through the developing process. Its sad that none of those kids have any photos of them on "film" as that is the only true medium to archive for the future, not digital.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2014 02:05 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital is not as good as made out. On one of the dvd extras it said that they have to copy to new disc every few years.

Give me analogue any day.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 12, 2014 02:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the kids are just a little bit coached to react the way they do.

There's another one in this series where the kids use a very early Apple desktop and it's pretty much the same reaction.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 30, 2014 01:24 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We went to a wedding last week where small Kodak film cameras were handed out "one to each table". It was funny to hear the reaction from the younger kids....how do you switch it on [Big Grin] and so on. I watched one youngster doing a selfie"...that's taking a photo of yourself for those here on the forum out of touch....after this kid took the photo it was amusing to watch him try and find the image on the camera. [Big Grin]

I will say this about those youngsters, they were not as negative about film, as some of those kids shown on that video...at least at this wedding they were into the spirit of giving things a go. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC