8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Master (2012)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Master (2012)
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2014 10:06 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm prints of "The Master"(2012) with Philip Seymour Hoffman were released to selected theatres that still have the 35mm/70mm projectors. This was probably the first 70mm movie to be released since "Titanic". Never really heard any chatter about this at the time. It was filmed in a process called Panavision System 65; it is suppose to be an improved version of Super Panavision 70.

I haven't seen the movie yet but according to the IMDB only some scenes were filmed on 65mm negative. The listed aspect ratio is the standard 1.85 to 1.

Well that's all. Go about your business.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 26, 2014 10:13 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new James Bond film will be shot on film. This is a surprise as Skyfall was the 1st to be shot digitally.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2014 11:21 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is still a lot shot on film. What is surprising is that shooting big budget movies on 16mm negative is not uncommon. Usually Super 16 which exposes a wider portion of the film.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2014 11:45 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found this:

"The Master" was shot with a Panaflex System 65 Studio Camera. It was framed for 1.85:1. 80% of the finished film is in 65mm. The remaining 20% is shot in standard 35mm. The reason for using both film formats was a creative choice.

I saw it at the Arclight in Hollywood and it looked beautiful. Great theater too.

BTW-Titanic was released in 70mm but shot super 35mm.

I wish Nolan would shoot his films on 65mm, not Imax. I saw Intersteller and it looked fabulous but I felt it needed to be wider, especially for the subject matter. QT is shooting The Hateful 8 entirely in 65mm.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 27, 2014 06:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the current edition of American Cinematograher Kodak have a lavish 10 page color insert extolling the virtue of film, so they are far from giving up to digital.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 27, 2014 09:03 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy to hear that there are still real cinemas in the US.

--------------------
Dominique

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2014 11:47 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The documentary feature SIDE BY SIDE will be interesting to all members of the forum.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014338/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2014 01:01 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, not really. Only Interstellar is currently showing in film, and you'll be hard pressed to find any theater with film otherwise. And even that didn't go so well in many of the advertized film venues because of incompetent projectionists or formerly abandoned equipment damaging the prints or breaking down.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC