8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Thermofilm cleaner and preservative.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thermofilm cleaner and preservative.
Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2014 11:49 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am rapidly running out of "Thermofilm" film cleaner and preservative which I used to obtain from the late Larry Pearce. Does anyone know if it is still available from anyone else, or an equivalent substitute if it is no longer available? Ken Finch.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 27, 2014 12:51 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken, the best one nearest to thermofilm is filmgaurd.

I think Paul Foster is usally the cheapest in the UK, its not cheap to buy, but goes miles so does work out very good value and leaves a nice bit of lube on.

Very ok breathing it wise as well, not like some.

Best Mark.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 27, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy a small amount of (rebotled) Filmguard to test it or if you have only few films to clean/protect http://theoldfilmcompany.com/Page9_4.htm

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 27, 2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, Lee Mannering is selling a new vintage tin of Thermofilm on e bay at the moment but i think the starting price is around £30 and it is only a regular tin so you may feel a brand new batch of Filmguard at £49 a quart works out better value perhaps.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2014 11:53 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys , I will look into Filmguard at from Paul Foster. Any tips on applying it? Thermofilm is applied with soft pads and winding slowly on the rewinder to allow time for it to evaporate.
Alternatively I have used a Supersound film cleaner which is similar to the Elmo attachment that used to be available for attaching to a viewer or projector but with rotating pads. Ken Finch.

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2014 11:58 AM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is no spirit in filmguard, so apply very very sparingly.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC