8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Black Friday (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Black Friday
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 27, 2014 01:51 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Belgium (which is logicals as it is typically American) but this year, several business advertised discounts for the "Black Friday" ! It seems that businessmens imagination has no limit...

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2014 02:01 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,the commercial world is doing "black friday" here in NZ as well.Anything to turn a buck-eh? [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 27, 2014 02:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually pretty funny [Smile] The only time I've ever gone into a store the day after Thanksgiving was years ago (before it was called Black Friday) when my sisters would drag me to the stores so I could save a place in line for them [Frown] Now it seems that Black Friday lasts much more than one day anyway... sometimes for weeks...so what's the point.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 27, 2014 02:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's supposed to be the point in the year when the retailers have covered their costs and start to make a profit. ( going into "the black")

I hate shopping: I usually go hiking on Black Friday!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 27, 2014 02:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It was explained on UK daytime tv today that the term Black Friday was referred to as "Black" due to the way the traffic congestion formed on the very first time of the sales.

Is this correct, you guys in the US?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2014 03:39 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And a few UK websites are advertising "Black Friday" sales.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 28, 2014 02:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The police were called to Supermarkets here in the UK overnight as shoppers fought with one-another to grab the bargains, some even leaving on stretchers.

--------------------
Maurice

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2014 06:33 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if stretchers were on sale as well.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2014 07:03 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the Internet and sites such as Amazon - I don't know what all the fuss is about - the sales after Christmas and through the year are just as good as this supposedly wonderful Black Friday - it's just a PR stunt.

Dave

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 28, 2014 09:03 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, no. Steves definition is correct. I worked in retail about 40 years.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2014 09:40 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah,
Black Friday started as an insider term used by retailers amongst each other because of the huge profits they get during the so called "holidays". Three days (Thanksgiving, Christmas, & New Years Day) that have lost most of their true meaning, and have been turned into the "holiday Season" by clever marketers....
The buying public should refer to it as RED Friday, as it drains their bank accounts and maxes out their credit cards [Mad]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2014 09:59 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the internet footage, filmed on there phones, its more like "black eye Friday", absolute madness.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2014 11:42 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why Black Friday? He in the UK we had Black Monday. The **** hit the fan over pound sterling.

Next thing you know we'll have kids coming round on the last day of October threatening people into giving them treats.

Give me mischievous night anyday.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2014 09:11 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I avoided this by going to a Winter Ales beer festival - in Dudley. I just had to go along to the old Derann building for old times sakes. It is still up for sale but now has a sign saying planning for 20 flats ans 3 retail units, I assume this includes the car park, but will give those who haven't been there an idea of the size of the site.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 30, 2014 09:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Please post any photo's you have Brian. They may very well turn out to be sadly some of the last! [Frown]

If not,hopefully Paul Browning or Kevin Hassall perhaps who live relatively close by can grab a few before Mecca disappears forever sadly.

[ November 30, 2014, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2014 10:59 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only took photos that day on real film, I'll have to get them processed first then I'll post.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 30, 2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Brian! [Smile]

--------------------

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2014 10:03 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing like a couple of fistfights and a bunch a swear words to help usher in the Holidays. lol

--------------------
Joe

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 01, 2014 05:59 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's Black about it

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 01, 2014 06:40 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you see the TV footage here in the UK? [Big Grin] Once the doors opened bingooooo
I think its a load of US trash that's arrived here in the UK and the company's involved all need to be fined for allowing what went on, its a joke and I reckon half of the TV sets they were fighting over wont work the way they were being fought after, these people are animals and should be put down. Idiots the lot of them..
This country hasn't grasped how there conned year in year out, there's the never to be repeated winter sale, the xmas sale, the new year sale, the Easter sale, the summer sale the autumn sale and back to the beginning. you got to laugh at these poor twats, they have to go to the sale because its there and like sheep everyone follows everyone else.
And for anyone who doesn't like my opinion, tuf s***. Its called freedom of speech.
[Big Grin] [Wink]
BTW, if you saw those TVs and noticed the makes of them you will know that most of them weren't bargains at all as they were crappy lower range models.

[ December 01, 2014, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 01, 2014 12:44 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
What I found most laughable about the whole U.S. concept of this, is that Thanksgiving (the day before BF) is all about praising the Lord for all what you have in life, basic essentials such as food on the table, clothes on your back, a loving family etc etc.
Then the very next day act like crazed lunatics fighting one another over materialistic goods which are most likely not needed,in most cases already owned in one form or another,nor will they improve the overall quality of an individuals life!

Absolutely Bonkers and we have just the lemmings in our society to follow suit just in the "sheep" like manner Tom spoke about.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2014 01:09 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YEH OK FELLOW MEMBERS, I'M PROBABLY CLOSER THAN MOST ON THIS FORUM TO GET SOME PHOTO'S OF THE,"NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN" SHRINE FOR FILM COLLECTORS, BOTH HERE AND ACROSS THE GLOBE, AND AFTER ALL IT IS CHRISTMAS, GOOD PHOTO'S TO ALL MEN AND WOMEN !!!!!!!.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 01, 2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with the sentiments expressed by you guys. My wife and I were watching the news last night and they showed videos of the stampedes in the British department stores. I said to my wife "I don't believe this, people in the UK just do not behave that way". Obviously, and sadlly they do, and these are a different breed of people than I ever remember being in the UK. You really have to shake your head at the mindless materialistic priorities, and the total lack of etiquette and civility, of today's younger generation.
Having said all that, I would probably camp out for a chance at a brand new boxed GS1200, but I am sure you guys would be ahead of me!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 01, 2014 05:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Difference is Paul, I wouldn't have you down as a man greedy enough to go and grab TWO GS1200's over everybody else in the same queue like I saw one woman in the UK doing with large LCD televisions, also I wouldn't expect you would be prepared to start a mass brawl in a large supermarket for one either!

As you say Paul, the UK has changed beyond all recognition,I am ashamed to say, since you resided here.
Sad fact of life that is an absolute statement of truth unfortunately!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 02, 2014 01:40 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this would have been somewhere in "England" [Big Grin] ...sorry.. being a tad Scottish I just cant help it [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC