8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Black Friday (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Black Friday
Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 02, 2014 07:58 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminder:

No discussion of politics or religion on these boards.

Posts that disregard this will be and have been deleted.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 02, 2014 08:29 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black Friday has extended its reach into Thursday, Thanksgiving day. Store employees have less time to spend with their families.
The stores are notorious for having a very small inventory of the highly publicized sales items and they are not required to supply a rain check. I'm assuming they figure once you're in the store you'll purchase something else.

Isn't time with one's family the best gift of all?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2014 07:41 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've posted my picture to the DFS photo thread.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 04, 2014 09:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing with Black Friday (at least what I found when I was in Canada), people lined up so long to get the items and straight away the following day they lined up again to return. It is such an irony.

I am buying because I want the item (and will use it) not because of the price is cheap.

Lining up so long does actually cost $10.25/hour based on minimum wages in Ontario (CA). It means if someone is standing in front of the shop for 3 hours has made a cost for around $30, plus another cost if he/she returns it on the following day... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2014 12:39 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a long-standing family tradition of avoiding shopping in crowds, and especially Black Friday, although not opposed to dealing with a real deal for a need. But how sad that commerce has overshadowed societal grace, and more importantly, the original purpose for celebrating Thanksgiving.

Not wanting to break policy and post either politics or religion here, an external link instead, for those who are interested where the US Thanksgiving came from, here's a link to the original Proclamation of Thanksgiving establishing the holiday. How far we've strayed.

Personally, I'm quite partial to celebrating our abundance by overeating, however!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC