8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DFS Picture (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DFS Picture
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 30, 2014 10:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this pic of the Derann shop in Dudley UK, that I took on a visit in 1993. At this time Derann were in their hay day.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 01, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm feeling all wistful and nolstalgic! Thanks for the photo.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2014 02:03 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul ,

This is great - I used to teach in Birmingham and occasionally when I had an early finish - I would get across to Dudley and pick up a few bits and pieces and chat to Duncan , Gary and Ged - great guys and happy memories - such a shame the shop had to go - I was there on the last day - it was so sad .

Dave

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2014 02:17 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great photo, Paul. Brings back great memories of my visits there during the 90s.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2014 07:40 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Photo of Derann's old shop at 99 High St Dudley, taken last Friday.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 04, 2014 10:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
probably one of the last photographed. I will store this pic before it quickly all turns to landfill sadly!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dudley High Street is still under occupied, especially that end of it. It may take quite a bit longer to sell. It doesn't cost me much to go there and I want to go to the Black Country Living Museum again so I'll post an update on the building in the New Year.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 04, 2014 04:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brian [Wink]

--------------------

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2014 11:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had enough cash to buy the Derann building! [Frown]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 16, 2014 12:26 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it completly empty or is there any chance to find remaining films or material in the basement ?

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 28, 2014 07:10 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really doubt there is anything worthwhile left at all: the guys knew there was still a market for this stuff and wouldn't have left anything sellable behind.

Just imagine an e-bay auction: "This is from the last remaining Derann inventory and includes a signed certificate of authenticity".

-a warped reel....some soiled scraps of film on the floor...a water damaged box of brochures they never got around to throwing away...probably nothing better than these.

(What a wonderful opportunity to start an urban legend: "In the last few hours before they closed up that final day, they plastered a mint set of all THREE Wallace and Gromits into the wall inside Derek's old office...They're behind this big "W", I tell you!....SHHHH!!! Don't tell anyone!")

It's possible that things will be changing there soon. There are plans to redevelop the site. If you Google "PLANNING APPLICATION NUMBER: P12/0974" you will see the proposal to the local council including some drawings at the very end.

Can you imagine the demolition crew? "Hey Boss! We found these three huge rolls of scotch tape in the wall, but they aren't even sticky anymore!"

"AGAIN???!!! If you guys don't stop finding this stuff I'll have to hire another skip to haul it all away!"

"Well...we think we found a couple of the machines that apply it, too."

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 06:06 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for what sold on the last day, I saw someone paying for Derann sign off the wall.
Also I'm sure Ged and Gary would have known where everything was in the film department.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 07:50 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, one of the DFS signs was bought by my better half, Sarah.

As I'm sure you know, despite rumours of "vultures" descending upon Derann for the last day of trading, trying to buy everything up at cheap prices, just the opposite was true.

There were indeed a lot of collectors there, but most had come to say goodbye, and everyone was very dignified in chatting to the Derann team for one last time in the shop, and buying films as souvenirs. It was of course all very sad, but such a nice way to send Derann on her way...

Many great tales were told that day, albeit with somewhat heavy hearts and I will always treasure being there.

Several signs were sold from the walls; I remember one chap asking Ged about the large golden "Rank Gong" on the wall. He replied that he used to clean it, but it belonged to Derek...best to ask Adrian (Derek's son and MD at the time)...I wonder was it someone here who has it?

Sarah asked if I would like one of the big framed DFS signs and I said, "Best ask Adrian if it's appropriate".

Anyway, he was more than happy to go and take it down and give it to Sarah. She insisted on paying for it, but he just gave her a kiss and said, "just enjoy it."

She paid anyway; more a way of saying, "go and have a drink on us!"

Of course I still have it and will always treasure it.

Sad times, but nice memories of lovely people.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 08:12 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I caught that last day on Super 8 100D and this was shown at Blackpool this year. This footage could be included in a DVD, but it's not me who is producing it and so further details are not mine to give. Further details will be released here as and when.

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 08:14 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was there was sad i had a great talk to adriane he was upset and said he will miss his friends so much he said a lot of people there saw him grow up

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 08:16 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I saw you filming as we arrived, Simon.

I took some 100D for myself as well...seemed appropriate.

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 09:40 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was there as well - had a long chat with Ged and Garry - lovely people who always went the distance to look for a print for you and when I worked in Birmingham I often popped across to Dudley when I was free - to pick up a few bits and pieces and have a chat with everyone - not been back to Dudley since.

David

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, well before Derann closed, I was there to pick up 2 gs xenons Adrian had put on Ebay for sale. I was mystified by the add because I recognised the phone number, and the next day I was there securing a deal with Adrian. I remember asking him about the Rank Gong sign then, and was told it was already sold. I remember even then the phone constantly ringing, and there being an almost complete set of Disney features on the shelves behind where the super 8 projectors were displayed. I wonder if it could have been an internet based company, perhaps now we'll never know.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2014 12:57 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, it's so sad when a long established company has to fold.

I've employed myself for almost entire working life, so I have nothing but respect for smaller companies that persist.

I remember those Disney features, although I suspect they were mostly empty boxes at that stage.

I dearly wish that Adrian or Ged would join us here on the forum to discuss Derann. I bet they would have some great stories.

I know Gary is here with us, but he is still trading, so it would be unfair to question him about previous employment.

So much great history...someone needs to research a book. [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 29, 2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous story regarding the DFS sign Rob. It is heart warming to someone like me to know it is in the hands of a sincere collector and a true gent who will no doubt treasure it.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 29, 2014 03:46 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Gary trading in Cine?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 29, 2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Now and again Tom. I purchased The Small One and Once Upon A Mouse from him earlier this year via e bay.

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2015 03:08 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing to do directly with the shop site but I have just read about the Danilo cinema which became the Pulse nightclub has been stripped of its licence due to being a haven for gangs, 2 stabbings last year. I believe this is where Derek worked as a projectionist as his Demon Internet email was derek@danilo.demon.co.uk. As the Cinema Theatre Association Bulletin put it "Another very sad state of affairs".

I'll try to get a new photo of the shop site early next month as an update on it.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2015 05:08 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took some pictures today and will add when I download them, but nothing has changed and with 20 odd shops seemingly vacant on Dudley High Street I doubt if it will sell soon.

Also I was in the area to visit the Black Country Living Museum and watched a Walton Films 16mm print of a Chaplin film in their 1920's cinema. I couldn't see the projector well but it was an auto-threading B&H, possibly a 652. Good to see film publicly shown daily in 2015.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 04, 2015 05:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt it will become an Aldi or Lidl soon enough , sadly Brian.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC