8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My friend Derek Simmonds - and the hobby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My friend Derek Simmonds - and the hobby
Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2014 02:54 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I became a good friend with Derek especially in my 8mm/16mm collecting days - Silvoscreen, etc, right up until I went into digital projection...a subject Derek and I discussed right up until he sadly passed away. I am also still a good pal with Adrian his son.

Not long before Derek passed away I swapped him a mint 16mm LPP print of "007, Roger Moore's View to a Kill" for his own personal first print run of "Shane"...which happens to be my favourite western. I did sell that on I think to a guy in New York...great days...I am just starting to dabble a little again...but nothing like before . My goodness some of the 16mm and 8mm films that passed through my hands...great days..and Merry Xmas to all. Must visit Phuil in his new shop as it is only about 600 yards from where I work "Open Minds", Cleethorpes, take care all. [Wink]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2014 04:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have fond memories of derek miss him so much

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 18, 2014 05:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here here Kevin. Btw buddy cannot reply to your last PM as I am still on your ignore list. Oops pressed the wrong button have we again Kevin! Ha ha

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2014 11:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry buddy my son goes nuts about me im crap with phones and computers the times ive froze it just wanted to say thanks for all your help with getting my gs1200 and my eumig done

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 18, 2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries Kevin, just happy you are finally getting it fixed matey. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 19, 2014 09:37 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe someone will put together a book containing the many stories of film dealerships and their great people - Sort of a book of film collectors by film collectors, in a way - Shorty

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2014 02:07 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall from Derann mag or maybe one of the UK film mags about Powell Films. It seems he liked the odd tipple, in addition to films and equipment at the shows he also had a fridge delivered.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I seem to remember he had the look of a heavy drinker - red face and enlarged nose when I last remember seeing him Tony Powell wasn't it? (It's been a long while so I can't be sure)

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2014 04:43 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was quite a character-won't forget our dialogue when he emailed me a saucy pic from Snowhite & his piss-taking at the open days... happy times long gone...

--------------------
Yannis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC