8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The last footage of Laurel and Hardy Together

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The last footage of Laurel and Hardy Together
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 12:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some ways, it's kind of sad footage to see, but fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYAeYj8-G4w

This was shortly after Oliver hardy had lost most of his weight after some surgeries other health complications, and it's quite surprising to see him this thin. Perhaps those who are official "Fraternal Brethren" could add details as to Oliver Hardy's waning days and what brought on his ill health, (beyond the obvious weight issues).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 17, 2014 01:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read a dual biography of both of them a couple of years ago. It said Ollie's doctor told him to lose weight. He dieted intensely and dropped a great deal very quickly. Unfortunately the strain on his system was more than it could take and his health declined quickly from there on.

Losing the weight would have been better if he'd done it more gradually and been younger too.

With Ollie gone Stan never entertained again. He was offered a cameo in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World" and responded "-not without Babe".

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He had suffered a heart attack while on tour, but it wasn't bad, and was kept quiet - THIS IS YOUR LIFE (1954), showed him at his biggest weight, he was advised to reduce, he did going from over 300 lbs to about 185 - Losing half your body is a shock to any system - I understand he was on a beet diet mostly - The STAN VISITS OLLIE film (1956), was the last time they were together - As a side-note, they were scheduled (NBC) for LAUREL AND HARDY'S FABULOUS FABLES, which was to be color hour-long storybook stories for children - In 1955, Stan had a slight stroke, so production was put off till fall, but Babe became ill and the project was shelved - Shame really, what these two would have done on TV, garned them the accolades and awards they deserved - And can you imagine, if they had lived to accept a lifetime Oscar - Fraternally, Shorty

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 03:45 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with alot of movie stars on TV or the movies like these two they will always look the same as when they appeared in their films (as we willremebmber them at least).....it's only in later years we see them aged and think WOW !!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 04:42 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sure that they did not talk together anymore at the end. Following what follows, it was a wrong information. Well, better like this !

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 17, 2014 05:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of brothers out there that aren't as close as these two were.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 06:04 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My youngest Son whos Eleven love the lads, and thier magic, it just flows off the screen in to you.

Sadly as I was saying to a forum member the other day he has many friends who have not heard of them as very rarely on TV now in the UK. Can`t remeber the last time.

We watched a few on dvd the other day just on the TV as handy and it was wonderful.

The timing, the warmth, the magic etc.

Best Mark.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 06:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love them both and have many of their classics on super 8 or 16mm. Their humour never dates. I showed 'The Music Box' at school last week. My students are autistic and intellectually impaired.I have never seen them laugh so much!

[ December 18, 2014, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Trevithick ]

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 09:04 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a classic team. This last footage was remarkable, thanks for the link Osi.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2014 04:57 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....might have been adressed elsewhere on the Forum,but was this released on 8mm? I know of a film in color showing them together in the '50s...

--------------------
Yannis

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2014 12:28 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis,Yanis...... why don't you simply ask me?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 18, 2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Shorty, for that very good info. I wonder if that "Stan visits Ollie" footage is out there somewhere, as I'd love to see a link to it in this series of posts! [Smile]

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 18, 2014 04:23 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RED FOX released it - And to those who wonder, yes, those men stayed together some 29 years as an active team, close to the end - It is a testament to this legacy that, Stan would continue to fashion gags for them, even after his partner's death - Add to that, he was grateful for the Honorary Oscar, but lamented why they couldn't wait while Babe was still here - Fraternally, Shorty

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2014 05:50 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....uuuuuuppppsssss you're a Jedi now Ke Takh mas--what would I know!....
[Razz]

--------------------
Yannis

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 19, 2014 01:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the expanded info Shorty!

I remember reading how truly sad and stressed Stan was with the MGM movies, as he would write great material for them, but would end up having to literally follow the scripts to a "T" and, as we fans of the Lads know, those MGM films were nowhere near as great as the Duo's pre-MGM lot!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC