8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Silent movie theatre

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silent movie theatre
Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 06:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I visited one of the few theatres left in Australia which regularly screen silent movies.It's called the Majestic Theatre in Pomana, Queensland.

-

Although they use DVD these days, there is live accompaniment on the organ which was excellent and worked extemely well with the projected feature.

-

Afterwards, they let me rummage in the storeroom and I was allowed to come away with a little something for intervals in my home movie theatre (to those in the UK, Streets is similar to Walls Ice Cream).

-

For those interested, here is a link to their website:

http://www.themajestictheatre.com.au/

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 07:16 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the population of the surrounding metro area? It would be interesting to know how many people it took to support such a theater.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2015 09:15 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, it's run by a trust and people volunteer their services. On average, there are just 3 or 4 film shows a month. It's in a fairly remote area, 90 minutes north of Brisbane. It mainly gets some locals and tourists in from Noosa and the Sunshine Coast.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC