8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Antique Phonograph Show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antique Phonograph Show
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 28, 2015 06:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The annual Florida Antique Phonograph Show was held for 2 days this past weekend. Dealers and collectors attended from across the US and Canada. For me this is interesting as yet another opportunity to get hands on with old technology. You realize right away that the people who attend this show are as passionate about Edison Phonographs, Berliner Gramaphones, RCA Victor, and HMV, as we all are about Pathe Baby's, Eumigs, Elmo's, and Beaulieu's. Nipper, the famous RCA Victor trademark dog, was the unnoficial mascot for the whole event, with Nipper dog memorabilia all over the place.
My grandson made a video of the event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKmk3IrRs4

-

-

-

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Clay Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2015 08:20 PM      Profile for Clay Smith   Email Clay Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was very interesting to watch. Those metal disk players, Kalliope by Otto Pohland circa 1880-1890 incredible to listen to. The craftsmanship involved is amazing. I love these windows to the past. I have a 1914 Edison (unfortunately in storage) which I am going to have to get back out. Thanks for posting Paul, nice video by the grandson.

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2015 09:24 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Great Grandfather(he sold antiques) had a box of phonograph rolls in the barn where he kept his antiques. Too bad he didn't have the machines to play them on. Hell, too bad he didn't have boxes of old movies posters; mainly furniture which is pretty boring to a ten year old.

--------------------
Joe

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2015 02:54 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love the wooden horns!

--------------------
Trevor

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 29, 2015 04:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Grew up constantly playing 78's in our house and still love them to this day.
My Mum and Dad had quite a collection from the 50's and this formed the basis for my lifelong obsession with popular music.

I can still see " Memories are made of this" and the flip side "Change of Heart" by a certain Dean Martin on a beautiful purple Capital record label whirring around at sensational speed now!

Ah happy days indeed!

These two still sound every bit as good today as they did back then as do many others I could mention. Class never dates. [Wink]

From these earliest antique machines right through to the Linn Sondek.... I just love em all!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2015 07:48 AM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect and restore Those old phonographs and Tubed radio great to work and they sound awesome take a peek at my You Tube channel below.
I have been to Glen Mont and The edison Factor as well as The Wayne NJ Pgonograph Show. I went with friend Had an asweome tin Loved every munite of it.

[Smile] Sincerely Bill Shenette

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvU5nbpiReG9ViDNcV93Vtw

--------------------
Live life to the fullest each and every day. You never know when you will be called home to Glory.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 29, 2015 10:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that amazed me at this show was how loud the phonographs were. With just acoustic amplification through the exponential horns, the music could be heard loud and clear throughout the hall! There is something truly amazing about hearing someones voice, recorded on a wax cylinder over 100 years ago, reproduced through one of these machines!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 29, 2015 10:32 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The portable antique HMV gramophone I had when I was a youngster had no horn but just a hole in the rear of the cabinet after the platter. I used to deaden the sound by stuffing my pyjamas in there as it was so loud when left unobstructed!

The whole thing was constructed to an extremely high quality level and aged 10, I could barely pick it up it was so heavy as I recall.

I remember you had to change the needle around every 4 records! Lol

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2015 12:17 PM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes This is true on changeing the steel needles.
At times you shoud change the needle every second record .
Just so you will not ruin/destroy the record.
I Throughly Enjoy restoration of old phonographs.
I own a few machines a edison diamond disc a Victor Victrola
number 8 and Edison B standard &D standard .my favorite is My Edison Amberola 30.
I enjoy them all I currently worked on restoring My Victor Victrola 8 the outside finish was so bad needed to be re done and re schallacked.
Cheers
from Bill

--------------------
Live life to the fullest each and every day. You never know when you will be called home to Glory.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2015 06:16 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have some "quiet" needles which were not steel but a type of "thorn" IIRC these would not damage the record if they wore down.

I think I managed to play a smaller record with a real thorn off of a gooseberry bush.

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2015 08:41 AM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AH! Yes How soon I forget LOL,
I got got to mention that those are good types .
You can use Catcus needles as well as Bamboo but you have to have that special cutter.
I have that cutter but it is missing one important piece the V piece.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 30, 2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is amazing is that needles are still made today.

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2015 09:35 PM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Yes I know that I am glad you know that too.
It is Awesome isn't:).

Cheers .
from Bill [Smile]

--------------------

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2015 10:13 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, There is a shop in Sandwich, Kent where antique phongraphs and gramaphones are restored and can be purchased. They also sell the cylinders and 78s. I still have my collection of 78s which I started to purchase in 1946 at the age of 12. including a few very much earlier discs which used to belong to my parents. I was given and old wind up horn gramaphone to play with and a few very old records as a toddler but this was lost during the war. I can still play the 78s on a Garrard 8 disc autochanger, the model with the sloping spindle. Alternatively I have a Garrard SP3 deck which plays 78s,45s and L.Ps. Both have crystal pick ups and modern stylus. My early interest was probably influenced by my Dad who was an electrical and electronics engineer and built hes own radiogram and modified the one he later purchased.
I also had a friend who I did my National Service with who had quite a large collection of old cylinder players and horn gramaphones. and 2 huge cupboards full 78a and a number of cylinders. Unfortunately we lost touch with each other years ago. He also acquired a few aluminium disc recordings of BBC progammes, distributed to the Forces Broadcasting service while we were posted overseas!!!. With regard to needles, the thorn type caused least wear to the old acoustic machines, Copper ones for the earlier ealectrical pick ups. The worst were the hard "long lasting" steel ones particularly which the later 78s with there higher frequency range. Oh what nostalgia. Yo have really got me going now !!!! Ken Finch. [Razz]

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2015 12:31 PM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is good Kent glad to hear it.
Sincerely Bill

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC