8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Who is the millionaire (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Who is the millionaire
David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 11:44 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who is the millionaire bidding for the super 8 star wars feature on ebay item number 221686415612 I wish I was selling it .it would be drinks all round at blackpool up to 680 and still rising

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 11:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
All that money for a toy gauge eh David [Wink]

What a load of lunatics us Super 8mm fans are!!

[ February 19, 2015, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 11:58 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the print is good nothing worse than watching a film what looks like you have sand in your eyes

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 12:04 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish this was my print as currently selling at nearly twice what it would have been new ,but rember the last one on ebay sold in 2 parts went for over £700 in total crazy for 8mm print .must be a millionaire.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 12:11 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
may bee one of our advanced forum members may be able to put a link to it on ebay I have put on the item number but don't know how to do the link

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 12:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There you go David

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221686415612?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageNam e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There will be no sand in your eyes watching this David, I can assure you. These Derann later prints are simply stunning in most cases, hence the value.

--------------------

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 12:15 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well done Andrew I knew there would be someone

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 12:23 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Madness now on £740 will it hit £1000 ??

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 12:31 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with the previous members. I know that there are some collectors of Star Wars film but the bidding on this is manic. It will be interesting to see the final price! Personally I wasn't that impressed with the film, but perhaps that just me.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 12:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want it and money is no object, why not?
I wouldn't pay £100k for an oil painting, but plenty would.
It is a fantastic price for the seller though, just astonishing!

Rightly or wrongly Terry, you are in the minority with your view point of this film. For me, I like it quite a lot, just not as much as I like £800. [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 12:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like I said a few days back. STAR WARS super 8 items will go for premium prices, and it will get even worse as they new film gets closer to being released.

The main reason why it gets so ridiculous, is that this kind of item has a big "cross-over" appeal. That is, a lot of people, who don't even own a projector, would just like to say that they actually own a FILM PRINT of this classic movie ...

... and some folks say that us film gauge lovers are passé!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 01:01 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same seller also sold Pinoccio for £442.00, and Jungle Book for £285.00, so he's well on his way to £1500 just for 3 features on super 8. One thing Ebay does is get you into a bidding war, you certainly get carried away for sure. Just as Andrew says, neither would I pay £100,000 for any oil painting no matter who painted it, perhaps we should ask ourselves, would you pay this for a new print of star wars today from CHC?, I think we all know the answer to that. Would Derann have ever sold any at this price, I doubt it very much. Is this print that rare, for star wars fans this is still a must have, "May the force be with you".

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 18, 2015 01:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes (especially when you're the first bidder) you start to think of the thing as "yours" and it becomes personal. Once or twice I've let myself get caught up in this and felt a kind of gratitude when I "lost" it at the end!

This wouldn't be me: as much as I love "films" on film, I'd have to walk away as it gets closer and closer to the cost of a video projector, yet is still just one movie for all that money. As I've said before: I don't consider myself a "serious" film collector and this is deadly serious!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 01:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And just to follow on from what Paul was saying, let's not forget Beauty & The Beast for £381 also! just amazing prices for the seller.

I think what helps in this particular sellers case is the films are in as "on the shelf" condition as you are likely find now.

By that I mean, as if you were picking them off a Derann shelf in 1990 or 94. Original tails and leads all in tact, boxes and artwork all in more or less "as new" condition etc etc.

Ok you may have to point a bit of UHU at some of that artwork, but Derann used to put about 5 blobs on the entire A4 sized sheet!

These will appeal to Derann collectors as well as collectors of Star Wars memorabilia, double headed coin for some.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 03:15 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot about Beauty and the Beast Andrew, I didn't know it had gone for that !!!, almost twice what mine cost, but it was a stereo version. Still, star wars was a good investment way back then, twice the price so far and still not done. I think the millionaire is the seller here. Good luck to those buyers and sellers, it really keeps the forum buzzing.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 04:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
its an easy one to re record Paul. Mine was in German when I got it. It is probably the highest quality stereo soundtrack of any film I have now, its just brilliant!

I did it on the Bauer & PCDJVJ

-

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw it the price was £360 so it has gone up a lot. Still it is the original not the Special Edition so only on DVD in a (by comparison to a new digital telecine poor ex-laserdisc composite video master and not on Blu-ray at all.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 04:33 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and no screen shots. I certainly wouldn't pay the price it is now. Not without knowing for sure what condition it is in.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 04:40 PM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be one of the chosen 50 wanting to go one way to Mars.

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 04:43 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tick tock tick tock will it go around the clock

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 04:53 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You never know what story may be hidden behind that kind of things. I remember in the eighties being in one of the few shops who were still selling studio Super 8 films in Brussels. A man was asking for a complet Super 8 version of The Jungle Book (which was not available at that time ; there were only two extracts on the market). He explained that hiw wife was diying and that she expressed the wish of seeing that film. This man would probably have paid a lot of money for the film his wife wanted to Watch. Of course, I hope that in our case, there is nothing so sad loke that.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 05:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmm... interesting I wonder what my 16mm Scope print would be worth?...I paid $60 for it mmmmm [Wink] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 05:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little more I would guess than 60 dollars Graham if its on LPP!!! LOL

Get it Auctioned Graham! [Wink] you might be able to buy a holiday home in St tropez!!!

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2015 05:38 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind also that in regards to Star Wars beyond most films, is that if you are a big fan these Super 8 prints (and 16mm when you can find one low fade) are the best way to get the old versions these days that haven't been mucked about with...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 18, 2015 05:51 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely Crazy, its only a film and after all its watching the film that matters however you do it.

Blu Ray, DVD super 8 it all goes in to the background once you are away if you are actually enjoying the film.

These sort of silly prices are more likely to do the hobby more harm than good.

I think it all feeds in to the mentality of screwing everything out of the hobby you can adopted by once enthusiasts even these days.

Thank Gawd for some cheep and cheerful bits in 8mm and 16mm and some still very kind people in the hobby.

Best Mark.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC