8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Halogen Bulbs. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Halogen Bulbs.
Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 08:58 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read about the EU directive regarding the withdrawal and banning of the use of Halogen lamps? I am not aware of the details
and wonder exactly what they are because it may have implications for us and our projector lamps. Ken Finch.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 03, 2015 11:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some details from Mail Online:-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2976692/ Why-EU-s-plan-ban-halogen-light-bulbs-make-blow-fuse-JAMES-DELINGPOLE.html

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 11:39 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we all know where they can stick there EU directive KEN. These people sit in judgment about anything and everything to meddle in, I well remember being told about throwing away the bent banana's !!!!!.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 03, 2015 02:52 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here here Paul!!!

We would still have decent supplies of laminated striped stock more than likely if it hadn't been for the likes of these modern day tree hugging, ultra safety conscientious lunatics!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wholeheartedly agree with you Paul and thanks Maurice for posting the interesting article. My concern is that all of this EU legislation being introduced without any lateral thinking whatsoever. It is becoming increasingly obvious that "the lunatics are in charge of the asylam" as far as I can see. They give no thought to the consequences of their actions on our lives. At present I know of no suitable LED replacement for halogen bulbs used in projectors. I admit that the replacements mentioned in the article are becoming cheaper and give out as much light as the ones they are replacing. Dimmable versions are now available, but I have not seen anything available as a replacement for more than a a 50watt halogen bulb, or any low voltage versions. Ken Finch.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 03:01 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it may only be home lighting halogens. There are lots of theatre lamps that use halogen bulbs and not all film and TV studios have gone to LEDs or discharge tubes (though I think in B&W orthochromatic days some did use mercury vapour lamps).
I feel that "speciality lamps" may continue even if only manufactured outside the EU.

Mind you a 20,000 hr LED replacement for an 12v 100w A1 231 etc would be good. Long lasting and no risk of burning film on stills.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 03, 2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a little scary about this is specialty lamps like we use stay practical to manufacture because they can be made in the same factory that is also shipping a couple of thousand household lamps a day. As a matter of fact it seems to me that as halogen lighting has become popular the price of the projection lamps I use has fallen quite a lot.

Even if the specialty lamps stay legal, will they be viable business if the other 99% are outlawed?

The other side of that is are we willing to pay the price they'd cost in a low volume factory? We don't have a box office to help pay for our lamps.

100W incandescents are already illegal here in the US, so this kind of legislation is not out of the question here too.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 03, 2015 03:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily the Xenophots are still widely used in the medical profession or I believe we may already be doomed!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 03, 2015 03:33 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering about that.

In our "business" it's always better if the stuff we use is in demand by other kinds of users.

-you'll never have trouble getting a replacement power cord for an Elmo ST-1200HD: they're used everywhere, are common as dirt and every dead PC you ever shoved to the curb left one behind!

Elmo ST-800? Lotsa luck!

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 03:38 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Steve, don't speak too soon as they'll be changing the design so its locked into the fixture, just in case you want to swing it around above head, in manic frustration, safety first, its more than me jobs worth.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 03, 2015 03:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK now, no one can even change a plug nowadays unless they are 32 or older( like me ha ha).

For about the last 15 years or so, all new appliances HAVE to come fitted with a moulded plug. All you are expected to ever do is change a fuse.

I suppose there is nothing wrong in principle with this until your 25 year old stepson has to drag you out of the comfort of your own home in mid February having just cracked open your first tin of Stella after a horrendous 12 hr shift in the hell hole from Calcutta, all because the cord on his bedside lamp ain't long enough to reach the plug socket!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 03, 2015 03:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it came to it I'd become very heavily invested in projection lamps: if I leave this hobby I'd want a lot better reason than this one! I buy them 6 at a time now, it could become 60!

Can you imagine the feeling of putting your last good lamp in knowing once the light goes out the show ends forever?

Understood, Andrew: my parents used to rent a house out and one night we had to drop by and let a bee out of the porch light. (Tenant was a software engineer...)

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 03:54 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to laugh at these idiots the greens and others. Had an argument with them about why it’s the older generations fault of how they didn’t care about anything.

Well it got my back up. I used to take my pop bottles back to the shop and get deposit back. Milk bottles were reused beer bottles too they had crates for them. My dad used to collect jam jars for money. In Thailand they still collect bottles they pay you for them.

What now with all the greens about. Plastic bottles for milk throw your glass away. Progress NO way.

I hate those compact florescent lights can’t read with them. Give me a 200 watt bulb any day. Halogen are great for reading a nice white light.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 04:06 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they get wind of this in the far east, up the price will go for the equivalent led lamps, but our EU "DICK TATS" are all right you see, i'll put the cost of the new lamps on the expenses account and the taxpayer can pick up the tab, no matter what the cost.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 03, 2015 04:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Say no more Steve! Probably didn't leave his bedroom until he was 15!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 03, 2015 05:04 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's time to stock lamps...

--------------------
Dominique

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2015 05:42 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep a stockpile of bulbs which I purchase when I find a good deal. I know Eiko still makes some old bulbs like CZX and CXR that work in my Bolex M8 and 18-5. I guess as long as there's a market for them they will continue to make them but new ones are quite expensive.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 04, 2015 10:23 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some very old obsolete lamps cost more to replace than the projectors they are used in.
It's a case of supply and demand.

--------------------
Maurice

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 11:32 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let us all hope that common sense prevails. I am certain that the proposers of all these directives have no real practical knowledge of the subjects they are dealing with. Some of them do not appear to live in the same world as the rest of us!. Ken Finch.

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 12:58 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sooner we get out of the EU the better.
You Can Shove the EU up your flu!

--------------------
James Wilson

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2015 01:06 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know politics are out on here, the last post is spot on. Some decsions do create more pollution. Like my old gas fire/boiler over 40 years old, but bet the replacement condensing/combie doesn't last any near that.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 04, 2015 01:12 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the prohibition of halogen bulbs will make obsolete millions of lamps. How can that be eco-friendly ?

--------------------
Dominique

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2015 03:39 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't imagine anyone coming up with an alternative A1/258 (the lamp with prongs on the side) that fits the Bell/Howell 1695. As if we don't have enough to contend with what with, fading, v.s. no new film product and ageing machines (not to mention ageing operators!!!) Would I do better keeping goldfish as a hobby?

--------------------
Dave

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 05, 2015 05:10 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, the situation of the film market is not glorious but Ferrania is working on reintroducing super 8 cartridges and 16 mm filmstock, CHC and the reel image relesase nex super 8 films and different companies manufacture spares for our projectors (the 3d printers seem promising regarding that).

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 05, 2015 09:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave mentions the A1/258 lamp used by some Bell & Howell 16mm models.
The prices on these hard to come by lamps are increasing. However, it is possible to convert an old and defunct lamp into a 2-pin holder to use the A1/259 lamp which is still with us at the moment and at a reasonable price.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC