8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The future of the Home Cinema (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The future of the Home Cinema
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 01:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have made a couple of visits to the local multiplex in the last month or so, one visit to see The Imitation Game which is a superb film, and once to see The Second best Magnolia Hotel which I would rate as mediocre but saved by the classy presence of Richard Gere. Watching both films, which were projected on 4k digital projectors it occurred to me that my projected digital picture at home, from a Blu Ray source, was every bit as good. IMO there was virtually no significant difference in PQ. So I think it is safe to say that projected home cinema has now caught up with the pro's. How lucky we all are! [Smile]
But, coming over the horizon, or actually here, are giant 4K flat panel TV'S. The biggest one I have seen is an 85 ins diagonal Sony. The resolution is so good that you can sit 3 ft from the screen if you want to, and that sure gives an immersive effect similar to Cinerama.
So I am wondering if this is the wave of the future for home cinema, where these vary large 4K displays will be favoured over front projection. I hope this is not the case, because for me the cinema experience is defined by front projection in a dark room, not a flat panel with the room lights on.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 01:28 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your post is about digital projection and not cinema.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 03, 2015 01:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seeing this at work. I am working in a facility that started out as a muddy field 5 years ago: everything is new.

Our older buildings have digital projectors in the ceilings of the conference rooms and a roll down screen at one end. The new building is just large flat panels.

I think it's plausible that someday theatrical "cinema" will go this way too: no projectionist, no projector, no projection booth..no projection.

-lotsa folks watching TV together!

They'll still dim the lights: they've been doing it in live theater for generations.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 02:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It has to be projected for me to call it home cinema. Cine or Digital now. After all, whether we accept it or not, cinema has changed irreversibly. There's no going back now Dominique whether us film fanatics accept it or not.

However for me, as said, it will always have to be front projected to keep the atmosphere and the experience the same as we have all come to know and love.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 02:18 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I know it is an endless (and useless) discussion but the fact it is projected is not enough for me. After all, a slide is also projected but it has never been called cinema.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 02:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema is just a term associated with motion pictures at the end of the day Dominique.

It is easy to allow our loyalties and sentiments to all things cine to cloud the overall enjoyment of viewing motion pictures on a large screen in the dark.

I enjoy both methods of doing so but of course by choice, I choose Super 8mm.

I really don't have anything like the same level of enthusiasm for any of the other gauges, but that's just me I suppose.
At the end of the day, we all love what we are comfortable and familiar with, in my case that's Super 8 and HD Digital projection.

Partly the reason I love Super 8mm above the other gauges is due to the fact that Super 8mm had the most modern and sophisticated equipment out of the non professional gauges.

I like for instance the fact that you can produce a decent Stereo track from the gauge for example.

We are of course all very different in our likes and dislikes from the hobby but share one thing in common.

We all love projecting "real" film and long may it continue in whatever format!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 02:44 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I was like you. I used to love being in a cinema and at the moment the room became dark it was magical. Since they changed 35mm for digital, the magical part is no longer there and I go lesser than before to the what is no longer the cinema :-(

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 02:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
My son's both prefer digital cinema ironically Dominique.
They used to find the "circles and dots" very distracting they tell me.

They do of course refer to negative sparkle etc but they've seen both and that's their opinion from the "pixel perfect" era they have lived in.

We on the other hand, are generally all of an age where bias comes into it just by virtue of the fact that we attach a certain very important aspect called nostalgia into the mix.

Who's right, who's wrong? ...I guess we will never know the answer to that one! [Wink]

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2015 02:56 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that the "movie theater" has a viable future because it is fast running out of the reasons it existed in the first place... those of 1. bringing to the public spectacles that they could only otherwise experience in real life, and 2. doing it on such a scale that it became totally immerseive to the audience.
The first has been slowly eroded by television... which has not been able to emulate the second by reason of the size limitations placed upon it by the technology. Now we have the situation where the "movie" industry gains strength by virtue of the fact that its output is of equal value to BOTH means of presentation, while home presentation increases in both scale and technology day by day, theatre presentation is actually reducing the size of its screening facilities and also of its audience seating capacities.
Result? When, in the not too distant future, home screen sizes become comparable in relation to audience size to theatre screen sizes (audio sophistication is already comparable) there will be no valid reason for the theatre to be more attractive to one's own home, where the SAME experience will be more conveniently available. And Digital home projection will play a part, whether the source be television broadcast, DVD or BluRay.

And the above is NOTHING to do with the HOME CINEMA experience of the enthusiast..... it's about "commercial" viability, which has ALWAYS been driven by supply and demand. Simply, if you already have the same product in your own home, why buy it again somewhere else? The remaining few who still see something different in theatre presentation will simply not be sufficient to support the costs of that approach. Even the draw of the live "telecast" of special events will inevitably be replaced by "direct to home" subscription services as theatres decline.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 03:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very valid points Martin there it has to be said, as is already being seen to be the case judging by audience numbers in the multiplexes of today, let alone the future.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 03:02 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem being the last of the Mohican ;-)

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 03:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad you dare to be different in this ultra sophisticated, ultra slick, ultra high tech modern world of ours Dominique! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 03, 2015 03:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree,

People will always want to go out, so they will always need places to go to.

With a little effort, you can have a better meal at your house: certainly a cheaper meal, but people still go out to restaurants, just for the sake of getting out of the house and doing something different.

-It's the same thing.

You need neutral ground sometimes. You invite a girl out to a movie: that's normal. Invite her to your house to watch a flat screen: that's just plain Creepy!

Until the day comes they can do home theater with a simulated audience in the room, people will still want to "Go out to a movie". I saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in an old Theater in a small town upstate: the audience really got into it. I've seen that movie many times since: it hasn't ever come close.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 03:10 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Also equally valid points Steve. I guess we will just have to wait 20 years or so to find out.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 03, 2015 03:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you think about it, back when motion pictures started people were probably saying the day will soon come when live theater is doomed.

-it's still here because it has its place.

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, you can't recreate it economically in your own home.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 03, 2015 03:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you accept the premise that the same production done as HD video on a home screen is "Just as good".

-Yes, you can.

(I do not.)

In just the technical aspects, home video should blow away actors on a stage: the sound is better, you can have closeups, location shots, you can be free from flubbed lines and prop and scenery malfunctions.

-but the difference for the audience is the experience of viewing it.

By the same token, if the movie theaters near me are any indication, theatrical cinema is going great.

-you want a decent seat, you'd better show up early.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 04:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on this topic of conversation, I would be interested to see if anyone projects really large screen sizes in the home and surrounding areas as a permanent set up.

I shall start a new thread me thinks.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 03, 2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big is "large"?

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 04:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well to give pro cinema a run for its money I reckon it would have to be at least 18 to 23ft wide Steve.

That's almost the entire length of my living room! Lol.

Maybe one or two of you guys in Oz or The U.S. would have enough space even if us Brits live only in shoe boxes (by and large).

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2015 05:38 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course the other thing about "Movie Theatre" is that the screen is further away and your eyes are focused at a greater distance than at home. This must make a (subconscious?) difference to the experience. Not to mention the other way that at home you don't have to think twice about asking other people watching to keep quiet. :-)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 03, 2015 05:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-that depends on who else is at home with you!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 05:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking at the local multi-plex to the young lady that once did a lot of the 35mm projection. It seems that they are doing a roaring business, even in this world of big TV.

I agree with Steve that people will still want to go out, and going to the movies will still be a part of it. Its like the other day, I said to my wife lets go out for a coffee, she replied, I can make you one at home. I said.. but I like going out, its a "social thing" so we went out [Smile] Watching movies at home has technically never been so good, but nothing could ever beat that shared experience the night I watched "Jaws" at the cinema when the movie came out, along with 1200 others screaming in the dark. [Big Grin]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 03, 2015 07:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theoretically it is not the actual width of the scren that determines its visual impact, but the angle subtended by the screen at the eye. So theoretically, a 10ft wide screen at home viewed at a distance of 10ft should seem just as big as a 80 ft wide screen in a theater viewed at a distance of 80ft. This is the case for my 10 ft wide home cinema screen which objectively should look as big as my local multiplex screen when I am sitting towards the back of the theater. The angle subtended at the eye is the same, but the theater screen feels bigger because it is bigger, and you know that you are sitting in front of it as part of a large audience in a very large room. So no home theater is probably ever going to be able to totally replicate the feel of the real local multiplex.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2015 03:22 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I was talking about "LIVE THEATRE" in response to your remark on it.

I am just about to upgrade my digital facilities to "larger screen" because I have a particular liking for "genuine" 3D movies. Slowly but surely the 1950s classic 3D movies are being restored... I now have six.... and they are something NOT available in the multiplex (perhaps on very rare occasions, if you are lucky to be near one?). Neither were they ever generally available in amateur formats, so no hope there. Large screen is what they were made for... and brilliantly made at that. I also collect the BEST of the modern offerings... NO "2D to 3D conversions"!!... with the accent on "genuine 3D".

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC