8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Talking Pictures TV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Talking Pictures TV
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2015 11:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new television channel has appeared on Sky 343, it's a free-to-air channel which also hopes to be on Freesat later in the year.
It's called Talking Pictures TV and as far as I can see this is connected with Renown Pictures who have the rights to hundreds of old British films, often from E.J.Fancey.
http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2015 12:38 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank-you Maurice, I never knew of this channel, it's bit like the old 'Matinee Movies' Channel, I hope they show 'Stormy Crossing'...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From talk on other forums they had/have some bitrate problems on the channel - at least the satellite transponder.
http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showthread.php?47421-Talking-Pictures-TV/page8 for example, and the thread was started by Renown.

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2015 05:00 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having viewed films on this channel now for a few weeks, I can only say that the picture quality is very poor sometimes like viewing through the bottom of a 'pint pot'. When analog tv had a weak signal you could expect ghosting grainy picture etc, but when digital tv is of a low quality it's very soft focus, and becomes very pixelated, yes they screen some very good and sometimes never seen films, but at the expense of very, very poor quality. Personally I think the channel is to showcase the films on sale by Renown, at one point I cleaned my specs and guess what, the picture was worse...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 28, 2016 02:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have now been watching Talking Pictures TV for a couple of weeks and have to say that most of what I have seen has been quite acceptable. We must not forget that some of their films are very old and they have done the best they can. I have now watched some Old Mother Riley films which I have never seen before.

I have bought a Hitachi Freeview HD Recorder from Argos @ £139. I can report that it performs very well.

I attach links to the recorder and the programme schedules for anyone interested.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1168305.htm
http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/

--------------------
Maurice

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2016 03:32 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been watching this for a few weeks now, it's great, we have watched some great British classics from the 40's/50's and 60's.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 28, 2016 04:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should add that Talking Pictures TV is not transmitted in HD although you need access to HD receivers to receive it.
With the new Hitachi recorder all HD channels such as those from the BBC are available.
The recorder comes with an HDMI lead and if your TV has HD availability the recorder's output can be set to 1080p.
But don't worry if your TV does not have an HDMI input socket, the recorder also has the good old SCART socket to access similar sockets on your older TV. Note that a SCART lead is not included in the box.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2016 04:24 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and thankfully it uses the better coding that the HD channels also use not MPEG2.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 05, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now available on Freesat. Channel 306.

--------------------
Maurice

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2016 04:02 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great channel they even show b movie horrors too

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC