8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The H8ful Eight is shot on 70mm :)!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The H8ful Eight is shot on 70mm :)!!!
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2015 02:19 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Brothers has announced that they are considering releasing BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE on 70mm.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2016 09:13 AM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was asked to watch this film with a friend over xmas, and I must warn you of the graphic sex act which is quite distastefull and not at all necessary in my opinion,tho not easily offended,this scene will offend a few and not what you would want to view with your wife /gf. Beautifull location scenary, spoilt by obscenity....be warned....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 03, 2016 09:38 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obscenity in the Hateful Eight ??????

--------------------
Dominique

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 04, 2016 08:06 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its Tarantino...that is one of his trademarks..obscenity and some graphic scenes. Its not called the "Happy 8"! [Smile]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2016 10:47 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being promoted with this sort of 'mock-up' 70mm film strip. Certainly they are making a big point of the film presentation...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141868611185?_trksid=p11400.c100175.m3015&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140218130328%26meid%3Dbabd43b7c18046a3b0f4698c037f1d5 c%26pid%3D100175%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D371515658738

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 05, 2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Micheal on that one scene. The scene could have just had the material spoken about, with reactions back and forth between the scenes, without graphically seeing it. A lot of cussing, but that's a Quentin film for you. The overall story, however, wasn't too bad. I thought one of the high points was that Ennio Morricone (of so many classic western scores) contributed to the score of hateful 8!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2016 06:22 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just seen it advertised in the morning paper listing that the Odeon Leicester Square is showing this from a 70mm print.

Jamie Biggs
Junior

- posted January 10, 2016 11:16 AM      Profile for Jamie Biggs   Email Jamie Biggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've been reading, there is only 1 print of the 70mm roadshow version in the whole of the UK. It's currently being screened at the Odeon Leicester Square, then will move to the Edinburgh Filmhouse in February. I'm fortunate in that I live within easy reach of London, so needless to say I'll be going there!!

--------------------
Jamie :D

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 11, 2016 04:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One in the UK is a very limited release compared to the USA! Anyway, I'll be going on the 14th. I'm trying to find out if it will be available on 35mm in the UK, as I might be able to make a case for 35mm screenings in Croydon.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2016 05:39 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That one scene was indeed graphic, but who could expect less from Quentin?

I thought Ennio was fantastic on the score.

Unfortunately I had a poor viewing due to improper masking and underwhelming screen at Cinema Village East.

I was informed the Regal E walk's Presentation was fantastic.

Unfortunate this projection was butchered in so many unprepared theatres

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 11:12 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Hateful 8 in 70mm and looked fantastic. Only Tarantino can make you laugh at someone being blown away. Re: the graphic sex scene I personally didn't find it that bad but that's my opinion. A girl sitting next to me didn't seem to either but did leave about 10 minutes before the end after the massive blood shed kept going. I suspect she wasn't able to stomach it. Wild film! Highly recommend!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 16, 2016 12:00 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can certainly now recommend seeing it at London's Odeon Leicester Sq, sop long as you don't mind a cool temperature. Excellent presentation and nice to have the souvenir programme.

As I'd read the comments about the sexual scene here, it didn't seem as bad as I feared. It's shocking but not really graphic as there isn't nudity at the time.

Does anyone know if the non-roadshow version is DEFINITELY 2.76:1, as this might influence whether a local community cinema with modest-sized screen that I'm involved in screens it. The film's Wiki page says the non-roadshow version has different takes of certain shots, so I wondered whether this might mean that this version could perhaps be 2.39:1? And has anyone heard of any 35mm prints circulating, other than the one Tarantino is showing at his own cinema?

[ January 17, 2016, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2016 03:30 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Adrian, I too saw it at the Odeon Leicester Square, London. I loved the welcome from the stage by a young lady and the presentation couldn't be faulted. The Cinema was cold but when I mentioned it to an usher they took me upstairs to the circle and it was beautifully warm!! As far as the film was concerned, I found it slow, long, and more like a stage performance. It started out as a read screenplay in a hotel. Not much to my liking but the visuals were impressive.

--------------------
Dave

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just back from seeing this at the Odeon Leicester Square, early show. It seems to be warmer there now.

I sat right at the front to get the full effect of the wide screen, though it seemed they lowered the masking instead or as well as opening out fully as most 70mm films would have been 2.2:1. By the time I got in there was a DLP presentation of Odeon welcome/please turn your phone off. The adverts and trailers were disappointing as the aspect ratio and size (both width & height) of picture varied with the screen at full width. They did close the curtains before the feature so there was something of a "show". It was great that I could look up at the projection box and see a projectionist looking out as the DLP machine went dark and the 70mm started.

From where I sat the overture did show up a slight unsteadiness compared to the non-film start as there was a static picture with a stagecoach just at the lower screen masking level, but the picture after was really good, the best looking film print I've seen since the West End showing of "The Cook,the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" which is the best 35mm 'scope print I've seen. It was also good to see the Cinerama logo at the start and the screen is slightly curved. Unfortunately two of reels had a bit of scratching nut it wasn't really noticeable after the end of the snow scenes.

The snow was really bright and made me think it would have been better to have been shot at the TodAO 30 frames/second as there was slight flickering at that brightness level. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and looked up the dates for "70mm revival" showings at the Prince Charles cinema on the way home.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC