8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "worrying descriptions on e-bay..regarding projectors".

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "worrying descriptions on e-bay..regarding projectors".
Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2015 01:15 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all..

just had a glance at the 16mm projector's on e-bay..not been on e-bay for years, but saw this as part of a description for Eiki NT1...whilst a good solid machine (and I have had a few in the past)...I certainly do not agree with the following statement...part through regarding the " 2 prong" claw.. see quote below..asking price £350 for the machine.

"This machine has a 2 claw mechanism which works extremely well when running films with either warped or shrunken film or worn or torn sprocket holes. As well as keeping the film lodged in the film gate for smooth running."...here is the link to the complete auction for those interested:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-EIKI -ELF-NT1-OPTICAL-MAGNETIC-SOUND-CINE-MOVIE-CINEMA-FILM-PROJECTOR-1980S-/252078467918?hash=item3ab10c2b4e

The asking price for the machine is £350..

[Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 21, 2015 01:59 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I *think* the seller is a member of this forum.

It's not an Eiki NT1, it's an Eiki NT2 model.
The NT1 was equipped with optical sound only, NT2 had optical and magnetic playback, NT3 had optical and magnetic playback plus magnetic recording. The follow-up to the RT line of projectors, prior to the introduction of the SL and SSL lines.

Nevertheless, if you take good care of it (as all of us do for sure) this a good machine, I had a few of these, including the Xenon version. I'll agree with Mark here on the statement regarding kindness to films. With old or brittle stock, the projection can be jumpy, to say the least. With damaged sprockets, the loss of the bottom loop isn't uncommon.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 21, 2015 02:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Far better with the "three" claw Bell and Howell. [Cool]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 21, 2015 02:27 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc is quite correct in what he says.
I would not run an old warped and brittle film on any projector which only had two sprockets.

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2015 02:45 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re proj if you read all his posts on ebay has he sells a lot of projectors he always says about his projectors , these are the rolls Royce of machines and describes them to be the best .a projector is better with 3 claw and not 2 like he says maybe someone could ask why he states 2 is better than 3 .I bet you don't get a reply

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2015 05:57 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also states its a nt1 1 it looks like a nt2 to me gives a full page of what projector is and dosent seem to to know the difference between the 2 projectors

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 02:25 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to see a full description of a listed projector, but I am always suspicious when it goes into hyper mode like this - especially when they get it wrong! And there is more than one particular wrong here. Still - nice wallpaper [Big Grin]

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 04:17 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That wall-paper looks older than the projector...

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 05:15 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now corrected to NT2. I prefer the lens to swing out to nearer 180 degrees to clean the gate.

--------------------
Paul.

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 07:24 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Hope you are well.

Yes i am very much a fellow member of this forum, but with comments like this i don't really bother posting on this forum period. Unless something that crops up like this which is posted to highlight my selling technique.

It appears this normally happens quiet often on this forum like it's a witch hunt or something. Just because you don't like the description or there is a mistake in the listing (we are all human at the end of the day and not robots).

But thanks to all for pointing this out as i have now corrected it.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 12:29 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert

please do not think my original thread - "worrying descriptions on e-bay..regarding projectors" was some kind of witch hunt toward you.

It was simply the - in my opinion, a "spurious" direct claim in your advertisement.."quote" - ""This machine has a 2 claw mechanism which works extremely well when running films with either warped or shrunken film or worn or torn sprocket holes. As well as keeping the film lodged in the film gate for smooth running."..Simply wrong information..no way is this the case - I know from experience. You actually use that so-called positive feature as a "positive" selling point.

Many know such as Dave Guest, Mike Newell, Paul Barker and even Phil Sheard that I had, and sold a lot of 16mm p/j's back in the early 2000's...Eiki/Elfs...and also Bell and Howells and Bauer P7 and P8's the latter with the 3 prong claw. Only these can be trusted with film that may need careful handling.

This is just myself expressing my opinion purely based on your E-bay selling points, etc. Try not to be so sensitive, because as you say you deal with all kinds of big business..50 years plus...Tate gallery..Wilton Music Hall..etc...just get some of the "technical" facts a little more accurate. It is only fair that people comment if they wish - NO witch hunt. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 12:46 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very true and I totally agree when selling projectors its nice to see what a projector can do but the info given on this machine re claw movement is in correct and misleading and should be re edited I am putting the best ever 16mm projector on ebay tonight at 9pm don't miss this one I will put it on the forum as well and maybe can a put link to it for me. this is how a projector should look keep watching the clock tick tock tick tock

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 03:32 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
stunning projector its on ebay 141782201526

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 05:45 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like to see a full description of a listed projector, but I am always suspicious when it goes into hyper mode like this - especially when they get it wrong! And there is more than one particular wrong here. Still - nice wallpaper [Big Grin]
quote:
That wall-paper looks older than the projector...
I must say I love that wall paper, I have similar wall paper in my house that is only a few years old. It goes with our "Mid Century Modern" theme.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2015 08:25 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
still not updated the description re 2 claw are better for handling film .this is wrong info to a buyer who knows nothing about projectors and just starting .I don't think it will ever sell at the price advertised ,but you never know on ebay

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC