8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Boychoir..the movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boychoir..the movie
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 29, 2015 12:00 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at first I thought... Dustin Hoffman.. conducting a choir [Roll Eyes] ....so I was not really expecting to much from this movie. However, always keen to watch something a bit different we gave it a go.

To my surprise "Boychoir" actually had a pretty good story to it, and as such found myself glued to it until the end.

If you are looking for a movie, that all the family can watch, this is it, something you don't come across much these days. As well as Dustin Hoffman I thought "Kathy Bates" Titanic 1997", as the no nonsense "with the staff" school principal, came across really well. Film Director "Francois Girard" casting young "Garrett Wareing" like the rest of the cast was spot on.

So folks if you haven't seen it, give the movie a go, you might be like me.. surprised [Smile]
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2015 10:33 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, as a generally "choral" sort of person, I'm embarrassed to have missed this. But it doesn't look like it's had a US release in theaters, so maybe it's unknown here? Anyone else seen this? Interesting considering the big-name US stars in it.

Thanks for posting this, Graham.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 29, 2015 03:44 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill

I forgot to mention and "I really should have" is the music. The choir "American boychoir" and the orchestration, from the start of the film is consistent right through to the end credits is excellent....very impressive.

Graham.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, We saw this recently at our local Independent "Kavanagh" cinema here in Herne Bay at one of their Wednesday morning Seniors "Classics" shows. It appears to be titled "The Choir" in the U.K. Thought it was really good. Got quite emotional with the music!! It is out on DVD so will be looking to purchase it as it is well worth a repeat viewing. I did not appear to get much of a showing here in the big circuit cinemas. They all seem to concentrate on the never ending sequels of "Blood and Guts" Sci Fi, and C.G.I. cartoons these days. Ken Finch.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 30, 2015 03:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken

You are right. I had look at the US and its only got a "limited release" over there, which is a real shame. For anybody in the US its going to be very unlikely they will get to see it on a big screen. I cant understand this thinking by the US exhibitors, they seem to be simply not interested in this film, and as you say more geared to screen the usual brainless stuff. I might seem a bit critical, but when you look at the "end credits" and all the work my many, the "American Boychoir" in particular that went into this film it should have been given a wider screening.

I think this film will do better in Europe, its been out in Blu-ray in NZ for a while and with a DTS 5:1 soundtrack the music is really good.

Here are a couple of screen shots I quickly took the other night of the Blu-ray
 -
 -
 -
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 01, 2016 02:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was checking up a bit more on this movie of late. It does seem there was no general cinema release in the US, also later dvd and Blu-ray release in the US and that's still seems to be the case.

What a shame that this has happened, considering out here its been generally available from last year in the stores to buy in either dvd or Blu-ray format.

It makes you wonder what's going on in the exhibition side of things in the US when a movie release like this is restricted to that extent.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 24, 2016 07:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit of a sad update on this movie...well although it was never given general release at the cinema or released later on DVD or Blu-ray in the US, it was to be screened on the US TV CBS Hallmark Hall of Fame's under the name "Hear My Song"

What I have read, that much to the surprise of the school and for those living in the US and wanting to watch it, CBS has pulled the plug on the TV screening of it.

I don't think I have ever heard of a movie being treated in such a bad way and certainly a sad outcome for all those involved with it, Out here its still available locally on either DVD or Blu-ray format, its a pity the Blu-ray format does not allow those in the US to import copies from down under.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2016 05:15 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did it get pulled?

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2016 09:40 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/blog/bc-beat/cbshallmark-song-wont-be-heard/155674

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 25, 2016 03:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting article but its a pity that the school and kids are having to pay for something that happened 24 years ago and that matter was taken care back then.

The thing is "Boychoir" is just a movie and a good one at that, the story is fiction, and nothing more, the reasons why it be denied a screening is not relevant to the present.

At least the "Becker Film Group" that have the Australian and New Zealand rights to its release in both cinema .DVD, Blu-ray don't have a problem with it and those living in other countries can see it.

Some of the reviews from down under.
 -

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you totally Graham, what a stupid reason to not show the movie...well I guess now there will never be a movie about a choir ever shown on TV in the USA....no wonder I don't watch TV.

Bill [Smile]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2016 10:10 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater! Bunch of PC wimps.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 07, 2017 04:13 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is an old topic, but tonight they screened it on Sunday night TV as "Boychoir". No name change or anything like that, just as it should be.

My better half Yvonne was watching it when I came in. I understand to date, its still never been allowed a screening in its country of origin the US....pity.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2017 01:18 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure this topic has been mentioned some time ago. The film was titled "The Choir" in the U.K. and had quite a wide spread release. I liked it so much that I purchased the DVD which was released by Curzon. The singing is really beautiful and quite emotional. It had very good reviews here. I always thought the U.S. was supposed to be a country of "Free Speech". We do not appear to be afraid of making and showing films and T.V. programmes of controversial subjects here, whether fictional or based on reality. I cannot imagine why this particular film was singled out. Ken Finch.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 12, 2017 01:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I am seeing, the school in the story was just a little too close to depicting a real school (The American Boychoir School) that had been sued multiple times because some of the boys who had attended were sexually abused by the staff.

It's really not so much a case of censorship, but that Hallmark really didn't want to have their brand name stamped on a story that was going to ignite controversy and declined to show the movie. Nobody forced them.

If I worked in marketing at a company whose bread and butter is selling Mother's Day cards and Christmas ornaments, I would have done exactly the same thing. It's much better than having to release a statement condemning sexual abuse after the fact. Once this kind of stuff gets on you, it doesn't easily wash off.

The problem started as soon as they chose their title. Once they did that they couldn't escape it.

-Somebody should have done a lot more research. Even a space between "boy" and "choir" would have helped their cause.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 03:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is Steve the story is basically about a kid who comes from the wrong side of the tracks you might say, but has a gift in singing and from that basic story line of being accepted and encouraged to change his ways for the better is basically an uplifting story.

To hold back the screening of this film, because of things that happend in the past and has nothing to do with this story or the present is wrong. All the hard work in producing and making this film plus the kids that contributed so much to it, has simply gone down the tube because of a narrow mindness and a lack of interest in allowing times to move on.

If I was in marketing I would not think twice to release it.. the film should not be looked on as controversial.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 12, 2017 04:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is anything wrong with the movie. The problem it has is it has a title that associates it with something awful. Even if the association is innocent, it is really hard to shake loose from it.

I know these specials well. Hallmark gets some major network time and they run a nice, heartwarming tale along with their commercials. Mom and Dad and Junior and Sis watch together, maybe Grandma and Grandpa come over. The following week they buy greeting cards and chocolate bunnies.

-winding up on the wrong side of this issue, even innocently is deadly. A friend of mine who is a teacher once said "Anybody who wants to ruin my life just needs to accuse me, they don't even need to prove it.".

It was a mistake for them to title the movie that (Why couldn't somebody just Google "Boychoir" and see what popped up?). It was a mistake for Hallmark to buy the rights (Google, ditto.). It was a mistake to try to rename it ("whitewash".) They couldn't particularly even try to unload it without the association sticking.

There are a lot of people who thrive on controversy these days. Some do it for the right reasons, others for wrong ones.

-I'll give you odds any of them don't sell a lot of chocolate at Valentines Day.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2017 06:34 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with your view of the matter Graham. It's unfortunate that Steve is right also that it is all about the money and selling products. People don't get over anything.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 06:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree Bill and Steve.

As you say there are a lot of people who thrive on controversy these days.. many tend to think the worst of everyone...shame as the world is also filled with a lot of good people as well...its not all bad.

https://youtu.be/eunqp5a1OgM

https://youtu.be/XliFq6TF7E8

[ May 14, 2017, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC