8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2016 08:24 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're a funny guy. I totally agree with you about holding a book in your hands. In the past, as soon as I bought a car (always used), I bought the Chilton repair book for that make and model. Breathlessly awaiting next week's entry about the rear brakes.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 31, 2016 08:34 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nahhh!!!!

-you know sequels are rarely as good as the original!

I have a sneaking feeling there may never be a service book for this car, but Honda will sell you a service manual on disk for $150.

"Why is the keyboard...GREASY?!!"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 01, 2016 04:11 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are doing well Steve, the days of me being a mechanic on cars and aircraft are long gone. I don't even change the plugs or change the oil, I let someone else do it.

Regarding torque, the last time I used a large torque wrench it was on prop for a Rolls-Royce dart engine 960 lb/ft if I remember right. It took two of us to swing on it, while others held the blades.

For the most part either on cars and aircraft, unless its really specified its down to the person doing the task to make sure things are tight enough...just right....or else...

This photo was taken during an evening break back in the late 90s
 -
Back in 1975-76 I worked for Avis and this was my work area complete with heater and radio.
 -
 -
The thing was with both with the motor trade and aviation was that you had to be versatile and take on anything from working on Boeing 767, 737. ATRs 748s BA146 and so on, same with cars you never stopped learning.

Just lately I have been thinking about what to do with 50 years worth of tools sitting now in the garage, as tools were once my trade before projection work, its hard to part with them but one day they will have to go

[Frown]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 01, 2016 08:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, Graham.

My most ambitious days of working on cars are probably behind me now: even in my fifties all the up and down between where the work is and where the tools are is getting harder.

-back when we were in our 20s and it was a couple of young guys doing something a lot more inspiring on cars than swapping out brake pads it was a different kind of thing!

A couple of years ago I swapped in a starter on a night well below freezing. I figured it was two bolts and a wire: how bad could it be?

-between the dark and the cold and the dirt and all the stuff in the way keeping me from swinging the wrench more than half an inch at a time?

-plenty bad!

A couple of days later I found out from a friend that had the same car that the key to getting that top starter bolt was go to every friend you have and borrow every 1/2" socket extension you can round up and torque it from up by the radiator, but this was too little too late!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 06, 2016 06:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Steve a few months ago I was going to do some painting so decided to slip into my old overalls. I found that they must have shrunk in the last 20 years, as I got to the zip bit, I had to take a deep breath, pulled the zip up, then relaxed and "ping" went the zip. I said to Yvonne I never new tummy muscle's could be strong, she replied its not your tummy muscle that broke the zip [Frown] something else [Wink]

As Clint Eastwood once said, "a man has to know his limitations" and trying to get into those old overalls, he sure was right.

Anyway Yvonne has a thing about having a white picket fence so I am building one for her at the moment, hopefully will get back to playing with films after all this is done.
 -
Many a film arrived from Derann in that old letterbox but its time to make a new one, just got to think it out.
 -

-

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 14, 2016 11:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the front fence is now finished thank goodness [Cool] and apart from getting the spray gun out later after this winter is over for a white paint job.

So what that means... its back to films [Big Grin]

Anyway, although its winter at the moment, we had a nice sunrise "red sky in the morning is shepherd warning" remember that? took this photo before heading off, for the morning school run [Cool]
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 17, 2016 11:29 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After soaking what was left of the belts with turps over the last few months in a attempt to soften the rock hard remains stuck hard to the pulley "both of them" I finally today finished replacing all three belts, plus giving the projector a lube and clean etc. It runs really nice, the lamp and everything is good, checking the serial number it looks like it was manufactured around 1963.
 -
 -
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 18, 2016 07:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, HERE's something you don't see everyday!

This is what I saw out my front window this afternoon:

-

-let's hope this was after he drove the bride to her wedding!

Can you imagine?

"I KNEW she wouldn't show up!"

-In the middle of the Congregation one of her friends stands up:

"I'll marry you!!!"

-and that's how history is made!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 24, 2016 11:33 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came across this wonderful old cover photo, from an old magazine "How to make Home Movies" taken at a boys and girls camp, Malibu, California.. I think around the 1957 period.
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 28, 2016 03:06 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the last few days I have been watching our old home movies on a Elmo ST180 here are a few screen shots. One with Steven with my Canon FTB camera, and when we did a bit of gold panning over on the coast.
 -

-

-

-
Always a fan of Canon cameras still and movie, the 512XLE has lasted well.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2016 02:46 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. Elmo ST-180...nice reliable projector.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 30, 2016 01:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree with you there William [Smile]

This arrived in the post this week including the all important wiring from the reader to DTS processor, a free gift from a cinema owner [Cool] I still have a number of DTS discs and films to go with it not many but it should be interesting project, anyway another addition for the old Ernemann [Roll Eyes] [Wink]
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 30, 2016 02:29 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend I spent converting 3 projectors from the old tube-like bulbs to MR16 base bulbs. In doing so I found a new respect for this type of Bell & Howell 8mm projector. They are solidly built and with a 250W bulb they project a beautiful bright steady picture. The two models I have (Dual 458A, Super 8 482A) also have variable speed control making them good for DIY real-time captures.

-

[ June 30, 2016, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 30, 2016 04:08 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I praise your industriousness, Janice! I washed my car last weekend and felt kind of proud of that! (-and I'll do it again, too!)

They are making a TV commercial out in the lobby right now

-

Our local community college runs TV spots showing bright young people talking about where they wound up after they graduated.

-the bright young man in this ad seems to have joined us here bending electrons into a big circle!

(We were told to expect a film crew this afternoon....Yeahhhh...)

Edit:

The end results are now on YouTube:

Why we couldn't use the lobby stairs that afternoon...

[ February 09, 2017, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 01, 2016 08:19 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Fall we got a storm door. With the coming of warm weather I swapped the storm window for a screen. (-No, not THAT kind of screen!)

-some seem to be enjoying it!

-

Do they remind you of anyone….?

-

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 04, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We decided to celebrate Independence Day by starting with a little Outdoor Cookery.

I couple of months ago I found a cast iron griddle down in the basement. It’ very possible it’s left over from the family that used to own our house and has been moldering down there for at least 25 years. Being a film collector I’ve always had a warm spot for other people’s discarded technology, so I spent some time scraping rust and then re-seasoning the thing. After a break that probably started somewhere between the 1950s and the 1980’s it is now back on the job. Last winter we did steak and onions a couple of times, and a lot of Saturday morning breakfasts.

We decided we would bring it out on the patio this morning and try it out on the grill:

-

So it was pancakes and bacon: bacon first, just to grease the griddle and make sure nothing sticks. Something we learned was this is not a steak: it takes some time to preheat the griddle and it needs to sit on the barbecue a few minutes first or nothing cooks!

-

Later on, maybe we’ll watch “1776” or “John Paul Jones”, and tonight we’ll build a fire outside and watch the fireworks!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 04, 2016 07:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They look yum [Cool]

By the way the founder of the American navy "John Paul Jones" like all great men came from Scotland [Wink]

[Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 04, 2016 09:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know all about Captain Jones, Graham! One of the things that makes the 4th special to me is I greatly admire the Patriots and I've studied the lives of most of the major figures of the American Revolution.

John Paul Jones was nowhere near the Boy Scout that Robert Stack makes him out to be (seriously: you keep expecting lines from AIRPLANE!), but he has something in common with a lot of the greatest of the Patriots: he was at a point in life when he could really have sat back and let the young guys do the fighting and stayed home to enjoy his livelihood, but he risked everything he had including his own neck to take up a cause that by most sane measures was impossible.

-It took enough men like this to make a difference.

This 4th has been an interesting one. Despite fireworks being illegal in New York State, there is always a pretty impressive barrage on the 4th. This year wasn't so much Bunker Hill or Yorktown, but closer to Normandy or Guadalcanal!

The thing of it is somewhere around 8PM it started to drizzle just a little and then slowly began to pick up in intensity. The whole neighborhood seemed to sense they were going to be stuck with a lot of leftover munitions and the rate of fire approached the point of apocalypse!

We like having five fingers on each hand, so we sat out on the patio and built a fire and enjoyed everybody else's fireworks!

-popped a little popcorn over the fire, had a nice cold beer!

-

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 05, 2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Fireworks are illegal in Florida as well, but you would never know it by all the roadside stands selling them. Florida law states that fireworks are illegal "except for agricultural purposes", so when you buy fireworks here you have to sign a disclosure stating that you are using them for agricultural purposes, presumably to scare off crows, vultures, and racoons. What a joke! These 'loopholes' in the law, like the gunshow loophole, just boggle my mind.
A few years ago a guy in the neighborhood set off a barrage of mortar sized rocksts on our street for about two hours. It was like the London Blitz, the windows rattled and the house shook. He must have been nuts, if the whole lot had gone off at once he would have wiped out several houses. The next day one of the neighbors went around taking pictures of all the used rocket casings littering the area, and I assume he filed a complaint because that was the last time that guy set off any fireworks.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 05, 2016 11:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a 4th years ago when I was maybe 10 or 12. We went to my Aunt and Uncle's house for the day. My uncle's friend still had a practice grenade from the Korean War and his wife was getting on his case to get rid of it! (You just can't please some people! [Wink] )

-as I was lead to believe, this thing carried the full explosive charge of the real deal, the difference was it wasn't inside the fragmentation casing, but a cardboard tube for (you know...) "safety".

He pulled the pin and tossed this thing down the street: just like in his Marine Corps days! At the instant I was inside the house maybe 200 feet away and this huge blast roiled the floor under my feet and made me stumble. All of a sudden the front door flew open and all of these middle-aged men came pouring in. They slammed the door and turned out the lights. For maybe a half hour the Nassau County Police went back and forth up and down the block, looking for the mad bombers.

I believe some of them found the Lord that night:

(-at least they called mightily upon His name!) [Wink]

From the den, a female voice softly called up the stairs: "What the hell is wrong with you?!!"

-but they kept the lights out and avoided the windows until the cars with the flashing lights stopped passing by!

Out on the pavement there was a white scorch mark about 5 feet across. It was there when we left that night and still there when we came back for Thanksgiving!

So you see, you don't need to be a teenage boy to do something really dumb and make the cops show up. My safe, sober Dad was there with the rest of 'em that night. Maybe if they'd broken a couple of windows in the process he would have come out of it with a mug shot, but elsewhere in Nassau County, 2nd and 3rd degree burns were being achieved and the occasional digit was being blown off: Emergency Services had bigger fish to fry!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 13, 2016 11:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would have to be my photo of the day [Smile]
 -
Inside the front cover it states quote.... is an American air hostess called Sandra, John Sanders, who took the picture confesses that he can't recall her second name .But he does remember that the photograph was taken on Agfacolor. The location is Camelot Beach, St Lucia one of the dreamy Caribbean Islands. The article also states Sandra's fruit drink came from a conveniently situated bar.

Well that was Moviemaker way back in "June 1970". I think by now Sandra would be well into her 60s [Roll Eyes] good photo of a time long gone.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 14, 2016 10:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Saturday we went to a party. A friend of mine was DJing.

I enjoyed the music:

-

-but I really loved the wiring!

-

It looks like underneath our table when things start to really get out of hand!

-Case in point from last New Years Eve:

-

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2016 11:24 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have many places with wiring that looks like that...hilarious!

[ July 14, 2016, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Mathew James ]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 14, 2016 11:25 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cable management is an art in itself. Unfortunately it's an art I haven't mastered either [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 14, 2016 01:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cable Management as Art?

I'm more on the abstract side!

-

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC