8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 25)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2017 05:36 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice, we went to an elephant camp near Chiang Mai with our children, about 3 years ago.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 31, 2017 06:52 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zack that must of been a great experience for you and your kids. I wasn't even aware of these refuges in Thailand until my son researched places to go on his trip. I think it's a blessing that these wonderful creatures are being rescued and can spend the rest of their lives in a protected environment.

There are also over 500 dogs and 200 cats in the Elephant Nature Park which otherwise would be dead or roaming the streets. All the dogs and cats are up for adoption.

-

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 31, 2017 11:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you're all ok Zach. [Smile]
(After your storm of course)

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 01, 2017 03:09 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good photos everyone [Cool]

Zack.. glad everyone was ok.

Steve..Hope you get a chance to own a convertable VW one day. I bet the person looking at it in your photo, was recounting his memories from the 60s era. I remember changing a clutch assembly in a VW at a garage I once worked at in the early 70s in 32 minutes.. on my own. They were very popular out here for heading up to the ski fields in the 70s, with the weight of the engine on your drive wheels they were good cars for that uphill grind on rough tracks.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 01, 2017 04:02 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first car when I was going to college was a used VW Bug. It wasn't a convertible, but it did have a sunroof. I was living in San Francisco at the time and driving those hills was very challenging with a stick shift. I wonder who decided to put stop signs at the top of the hills. [Confused] [Eek!]

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 01, 2017 05:03 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw subject on the news a few days ago about wild animals in the US. It is legal there to own them as an individual and to keep them at home. That's completely forbidden here so it was interesting to see the good and the bad sides of that.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 01, 2017 05:59 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,

Generally speaking it isn't legal to privately own wildlife here. For example, I can't catch a sparrow out in my yard and put it in a cage. However, I can go to a pet shop and buy a zebra finch, which is actually an Australian bird that is bred in captivity for pets.

I actually could keep something like a cougar or a liger (lion/tiger mix), BUT, it's not that simple! First I'd need to be trained and certified as a wildlife rehabilitator, then I'd need to be living in a place where it's legal. I'd also need proper facilities and a lot of spare time and cash.

I think it's fair to say you can't "own" any of these since it's illegal to buy them. Usually it's a case of an animal being injured or orphaned or confiscated because somebody else had them illegally. The rehabilitator can then volunteer to take care of them.

-I really don't see this flying with my wife in any case.

Two house cats are enough, thanks!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 01, 2017 06:24 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve for these précisions. they showed in the news subject (I don't find it online ; it was on French television and it seems that there is no replay for news or if there is it's well hidden on the channel's website) they showed an auction where you could buy a giraffe and also people who owned lions. So it looked like it was "easy" to get these animals. It's probably the same as with weappons. Here we have the feeling that in the US you can go to any gun shop, show your id, use your credit card and go in the street with a gun and carry it almost everywhere. I suppose it's not that easy, neither.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 01, 2017 06:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a big country with a lot of different jurisdictions. I've heard there is a county in Texas where adults are required to carry a side arm. Here this would require a license plus a carry permit and you'd better have a valid reason like transporting a lot of cash for your job.

-different places, different cultures, different issues.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 02, 2017 09:09 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here we have the feeling that in the US you can go to any gun shop, show your id, use your credit card and go in the street with a gun and carry it almost everywhere. I suppose it's not that easy, neither
Yes it is Dominique, at least in Florida and some other ststes. You can even go to the many outdoor gun shows and purchase an AR-15 semi-automatic assault rifle. In fact it is much easier to purchase a gun in the USA than it is an automobile.

[ June 03, 2017, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 04, 2017 07:19 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Show must go on!

We had company last weekend, so it all came down.
The show must go on, so yesterday it all went back up!

(-wellll...MOST of it!)

-

-with a little added emphasis on cable management.

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 04, 2017 10:51 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...I'm guessing your table just doesn't look right without your projectors sitting there proudly waiting to be run [Smile] I always get a warm feeling seeing the Elmo ST800. Just love that projector.

Last night I watched a 3x-200 Std. 8mm print of Two Tars before heading to bed. My little buddy Buster decided to join me and initially I was projecting right onto his fur. But he eventually moved down and seemed to be more interested with something on the floor than the film [Smile]

-

[ June 04, 2017, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 04, 2017 01:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice!,

I actually delayed setting up again for a week, it' s good to give it a rest here and there. It' kind of amazing how good those first films look after just a few days without.

If there was only one machine on that table, it would be the ST-800. The DC motor makes it a lot more friendly to speed changes than the ST-1200HD, so it's good for when I want to watch silents. It's my travel projector too: all the way from central Maine down to Wildwood. It's just an all around good, versatile machine.

The ST-1200 has its own advantages, especially the 1200 Foot capacity and twin tracks. This machine hasn't switched out of 24 FPS in about 8 years.

In this setup the ST-800 grounds the whole projector end of the audio system. Everything else going into the mixer is through balanced connections so we don't have a ground loop among the machines.

My Blu-Ray player is there sitting in front of the ST-1200, but the video projector is still stowed away. That end of the table is normally reserved for (-you know...) eating!

I've got my own "Busters". Every so often you see those two triangular ears 5 feet across on screen. One of 'em is obviously looking into the lens: time for an intervention!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 04, 2017 07:21 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some pictures of the German city of Saarburg that has kept a kind of Middle Age aspect.

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Dominique

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2017 08:27 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pictures Dominique! The architecture is so cool.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 04, 2017 08:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ancestors are from that area of Germany and the part of my family that didn't come here in the 1920s is still there.

This is why I have a French last name with a German spelling. They had certain...theological disagreements with Louis XIV and needed to relocate fast! The Rhineland is where they lived about 300 years.

I've been there a couple of times: it is a beautiful place. It is wine country, and my family were winemakers.

[ June 04, 2017, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 04, 2017 10:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, we know.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 05, 2017 07:26 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super! Then you'll do fine on the exam, buddy! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 05, 2017 07:37 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have a delicious white wine called "Riesling" [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 16, 2017 08:47 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not February 2nd but...

-it's Groundhog Day here!

-

My carpool friend dropped me off a couple of blocks away and on the walk over I met this fellow.

It's a gray, cloudy day: I'm pretty sure he isn't seeing his shadow today!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 20, 2017 07:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I was digitizing a reel of film...The take-up reel stopped and some film landed on the floor. I was on the phone when it happened only to look over and notice Buster getting all cozy on top of the film and thinking it was a new toy just for him [Smile] [Cool]

-

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 20, 2017 07:47 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Lucky I have no cat [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 20, 2017 08:15 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah come on Dominique...I feel lucky I have a kitty [Smile] ...and no harm came to the film or the cat. It was just entertaining [Cool]

--------------------
Janice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2017 08:39 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what cats do eh Janice,when I'm packing stuff that I've sold and use a box,my cat is in the box quickly>Lucky cats are soft or else they would crease the film lol

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 21, 2017 02:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been catching up with some mods and repairs lately to the now 90 year old projector. With some interesting 35mm film to project in the very near future this projector along with the platter is going to get a lot of work.

Anyway I thought I would post some photos of what it looks like inside and the stunning German engineering that was put into its manufacture at Dresden back in the 1920s.
 -
 -
I found another drive shaft housing with good bearings and after swaping the parts over, plus shimming out any end float there is now zero play in the drive shaft.
 -
Its interesting that they didn't use oil seals, but an oil throw on the drive shaft to direct the oil back to the base of the machine.
 -
After getting things back together I ran the projector without film for a while and very pleased with the results. [Cool]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC