8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 28)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 30, 2017 09:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your setup is much neater than mine Steve [Smile] What fun!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 31, 2017 05:47 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! -but this is the calm after the storm!

The People of North Table (and I guess I am one too!) have habit of putting stuff in the beam! Eventually I'll wind up with a shadow of schoolbooks or laptops in my picture! (Sometimes it's a cat!)

I live in fear of some immense Thanksgiving centerpiece showing up! "Pineapples! Did it HAVE to be pineapples?"

It takes a little compromise all around.

I know this much: if we ever move, I'll be sharp on the lookout for houses with full, unfurnished basements, kind of a blank canvas!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 13, 2017 07:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this schedule problem...

I needed to pick up my son after work. If I went directly to his school, I'd sit in the parking lot for half an hour. If I went back to the house first, I'd have to leave in about 10 minutes!

-so I needed a place to wander aimlessly for 20 minutes. It was either Barnes and Noble or Home Depot. The Home Despot brings back about 25 years of memories of leaky pipes, wet paint and credit card debt, so B&N it was!

I went into the music department and got a nice surprise:

-

(I guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself waiting for their film department to open!)

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2017 07:20 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've been to Barnes and Noble and have seen the vinyl section. Interesting offerings. Very encouraging. I only hope that they are decent quality.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2017 03:51 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's like our local B&N, these are new pressings only. I'm sure the quality is as good as vinyl can be, but if you only knew the processing the audio goes through to fit neatly in a groove, you might prefer the CD. Except the CD is usually brickwall-limited to make it as loud as possible.

Can't win!

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 08:18 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume they are all new pressings. I'll stick to haunting used record shops since I don't care much for new music anyway.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 23, 2017 08:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They look to be new records.

Accidentally, and maybe even involuntarily, I'm a record collector now. I had to sell my Parents' house last summer and I wound up with Dad's LPs. (-boxes and boxes and boxes of them...)

I'm going to thin the herd a little.

-How many Oktoberfest in Munich LPs do I really need? "EIN, ZWEI, DREI, G'SUFFAAAA!!!"

-but in the end I'll also buy a turntable...(and some beer!)

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 10:03 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William.... not all new records are new music. A lot of the new lps are re-releases of older stuff. In addition to film I am a record collector too from when I was just a kid. I have bought quite a few "new" releases and they are almost all older material with a few exceptions.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 23, 2017 07:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear folk talk about Vinyl.... [Smile] I was surprised at the title of some of them "Blade Runner" was excellent quality to listen to and many are coming into stores from Europe. The original score by Elmer Bernstein "The Great Escape" being another. There seems to be quite a range of new records for sale locally eg Saturday Night Fever, U2, Pink Floyd, The Beatles red and blue albums, Carole King 1971 album Tapestry...plus many many more [Cool]

I find that I can hear the sounds better on Vinyl than a CD, of coarse that might just be my hearing, but I am certainly enjoying it a lot more. Years ago I nearly threw out all those old LPs, glad I didn't. One old LP I bought new back in the 1970s was Country Joe McDonald "Paradise with an Ocean View" lately the guy in the second hand record store was really keen to buy it from me...but will hang on to it [Smile]

Steve once you buy a turntable, you will be amazed as to what you have been missing....next.. you will have to buy a valve amp to go with it [Big Grin]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 23, 2017 07:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had a projection booth I'd absolutely want a couple of tube amps in a rack.

-especially during the wintertime!

I found switches with red security covers like they use at a missile installations. Even if they weren't connected I'd have to intall some!

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 08:46 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Phelps...I realize I didn't correctly express what I meant. I feel that, since I prefer older recordings, I would rather find them as older pressings rather than new ones.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 09:40 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William... I prefer original issues as well, but of the new releases of older recordings I have bought they sound good. Depending on the artist sometimes the reissue is all I can afford!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 28, 2017 02:44 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I need a break from all this projector/film stuff [Roll Eyes]

What a week, at long last the Bauer U4 is wired up tested/adjusted.. sound/light converted to 36V 400W etc etc. With an large old roller blind hanging on the inside of the garage door, and with the first three reels of "Braveheart" [Roll Eyes] on a 6000ft reel. Its time to put everything to the test...soon..but going to chill out for a couple of days first, before threading it up for its trial run. I fitted new take up belts the other day so things should go ok...well hopefully..
 -
Its strange that this particular print ran at "Movieland" in 1995, later to be sent to a small local town cinema where it sat there for the last 20 years. The Bauer will be projecting it for the first time since then, but this time in my garage...I must be nuts [Big Grin]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 28, 2017 06:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give you a lot of credit, Graham!

-I'm dabbling along the edges of 16mm these last few weeks, and I feel like that's a big step!

-

-but if I think I'm the Wright Brothers, then you are Chuck Yeager!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 28, 2017 07:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, Having never ventured into 16mm myself, I will be very interested to hear of your 16mm experience as you get into it. Please keep us all informed of your findings as you go forward.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 28, 2017 07:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Basically what I want from 16mm is what I also want from video projection: access to material I'd otherwise not have.

One early impression is compared to a Super-8 machine: the Pageant dominates a small space in terms of machinery sounds and just raw physical presence. The focal lengths of the lenses dictate that the 16mm machine needs to sit further back than my 8mm ones: this is actually for the best.

This is an aspect we've never talked about when we are comparing the different formats. (I didn't need my wife's encouragement to figure out that this one needs to be stowed when not in use!)

A lot of you know I'm kind of obsessed with hum. I first turned on the machine and heard hum in the room and immediately started designing a notch filter to kill it off, but the Pageant really has a respectably low level of hum through the speaker. The internal power transformer: that hums audibly! (I was standing there holding the speaker to my head saying "What the...?")

I haven't plugged it into my mixer yet: I'll make a project of that! (I may run out of channels one of these days!)

-On the other hand the ability to go much bigger screen (250W lamp and a two bladed shutter) gives me other ideas. Out on the patio next summer all that extra size will go away.

Manual threading I can manage. Not trimming the leader? -now that takes some getting used to! One of my 16mm leaders has an end that looks like the cat chewed on it: doesn't matter!

To a certain extent this is also about CineSea...now I will have a lot more prints to shuffle through down there!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 29, 2017 02:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice 16mm projector Steve [Cool]

I am not sure about the Chuck Yeager bit [Smile] I dont think he would have threaded a test loop of Alvin and the Chipmunks to run backwards by mistake [Smile] ...it took me a while to figure out why the sound did sound weird...what a idiot.
couple of photos from last week [Wink]
 -
Adjusting the light for even brightness...as much as I can from that small lamp..
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 29, 2017 02:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be so sure, Graham!

-did you see what Chuck Yeager did with that brand new fighter jet towards the end of "The Right Stuff"?

"It's Colonel Yeager!...He must have clearance...right?"

(It seems shocking a man like that could live long enough to have gray hair!)

-We are all human, and have our moments!

The machine is a Kodak Pageant: kind of an echo of my days in Elementary through High School: they were everywhere and any teacher in business more than a few months could run one like a pro!

When a teacher wheeled one of this into a classroom, education was about to get a whole lot better!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 30, 2017 02:11 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve your photo of the "Kodak Pageant" reminded me of a movie we watched only couple of weeks ago, called "A Monster Calls" 2016 release. I took a couple of screen photos at the time as its unusual to see a projecter in a movie. I think its the same as yours.

The movie itself caught me totally by surprise, a complex story of a young kid losing his mother to a terminal illnes starring Sigourney Weaver, Felicity Jones, and a very talented young kid Lewis MacDougall as Connor, plus Liam Neeson as the voice of the monster.

Although it looks like a kids film with only a PG rating, its certainly not for the young, Yvonne had the tissues out at the end...very sad.
 -
 -
Lewis MacDougall as Connor in a scene with his unsympathetic grandmother Sigourney Weaver.
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 30, 2017 08:06 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the one!

As I saw things growing up this was the most common movie projector. They were a standard in schools and typically there was an "AV" room somewhere with half a dozen lined up, ready to go. My own is stenciled for a college in Wisconsin.

It's interesting: Even though they have a handle on top, I got well into middle age before I ever saw someone carry one. They were always perched on steel projector carts about 4 feet high. Of course I managed to hurt my back before I first carried one myself! (back repair in progress...)

This is mostly a creature native to North America. Ones set up for 50 Hz do exist, but from what I've heard they aren't very common.

-

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 01, 2017 05:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping to have a couple of days away from all this crazy film stuff, when fellow film forum member phoned me up...can you run a full 2000ft reel of 35mm trailers that he had?...said Pat...sure.. so we did, most were from the 1970s...

So yesterday I got motivated, got on the old push bike and headed round the plantation. What a stunning day with plenty of stops for a drink I was gone for 3hrs. I did not take a watch, as I thought forget about time, just enjoy the day...so I did. With summer here its time to enjoy outdoors. Arthurs Pass National Park is another place I have not visited in a while, I used to take the kids up there all time. Its really beautifull up in the mountains but, not a place you go on your own....to many Grizzly Bears.. [Big Grin]
From yesterday..
 -
 -
 -
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 05, 2017 10:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year roughly this time I said the Christmas Tree was up and pictures of the trains would soon follow.

Wellll...

-better late than never!

-

I present for your railroading consideration LGB Model 2018D: easily 5 pounds of model locomotive. Back in my college days we found that engines like these could haul an entire case of beer: Engineering students know how to party!

Merrrry Advent!

(Let's not rush: I haven't gone shopping yet!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 07, 2017 02:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Steve [Cool]

Last night when it was dark enough I gave the Bauer a run with the 6000ft reel of Braveheart. Sitting in the garage I was surprised how good both the picture and sound was. I managed to focus the Scope lens down to the 16-18ft throw..it worked fine, however I did keep the sound level down, as I didn't want the neighbours to hear people screaming and getting chopped up in some of the scenes, coming from our garage....they might wonder..WHAT.. is going on in there!...

I gave the old roller blind hanging on the back of the garage door from the 80s a good wash in the garden before the screeing.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 07, 2017 07:22 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love the train pic Steve. Really makes for a warm nostalgic feeling to Christmas.

As always Graham...great screen shots!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 07, 2017 08:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice [Smile]

Well we could do with a bit of rain, as things are getting a we bit dry, The temp today up in the 80s F, you would not want to be dressed as Santa...that's for sure.
Here are a couple of photos taken today...as Yvonne was watching TV last night I was sitting in the garage. The old roller blind with a black painted "schoolboard black" border worked well last night.
 -
 -
"Tweety" my car in the drive.....
 -
The ground is getting dry but every day we give the wee birdies some water and bread. When I go out in the morning to feed them they are waiting...just like in the film.."The Birds"
Yvonne had a customer who told her he had a complaint about our white picket fence... that to tell your husband that every time he go passes he has to put his sunglasses on...good paint eh!..
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC