8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 31)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 09, 2018 12:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

Yes it is! My wife bought it for me for Christmas the year before last. (I guess she got tired of listening to me talk about it...)

Tonight we will watch the Opening Ceremonies.

-kind of strange: I'd expect those to come first!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 14, 2018 08:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Need for Speed!

We’ve seen a LOT of figure skating these last few days…It’s my wife’s favorite part of the Olympics. I’m into it more for the speed-based sports. I’ve been looking forward to big-screening something like bobsledding.

Tonight we got some mens’ skeleton sledding:

-

-including a pass down the track for the camera…

-

(In this sport, nobody luges!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 17, 2018 07:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great Steve [Smile] ...we have been watching it lately [Cool]

I came across this saying today, that brought back long ago memories of primary school in Glasgow [Big Grin]

I can still remember singing this....amazing [Big Grin]
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 18, 2018 03:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the world has certainly got smaller.. [Smile] I have been keeping an eye on the Argyll and Southerland Highlanders ACF Facebook page, as its interesting to me how things have changed in the last 50odd years since I was part of the ACF.

Anyway I posted them this old photo of me, and the badge, hoping they dont want it back [Big Grin] I got a reply saying quote "I think you have earned the badge" [Big Grin] and thanking me for the support.

Its great to see young people still involved in the ACF and the activities they do, for me looking back it was a great experence.
 -
I have still got the badge it should have been returned when I left but somehow it didn't
 -
As the ACF is now and good on them..
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 19, 2018 08:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobsled!

I finally got to the reason I bought all this electronic gadgetry to hook my VP into the cable TV: bobsledding. (My wife thinks it’s figure skating…I won’t tell if you don’t!)

This is my favorite event in the Winter Olympics.

-

I suppose I’d like it on my bucket list: I’d like to be one of the guys in the middle of a four man Olympic bobsled. I don’t want to steer the thing or operate the brake. I’m not completely sure I wouldn’t scream all the way down, and can’t guarantee I wouldn’t down a quart of scotch afterwards, but I’d like to know what it feels like to go 85mph through a tube of ice! (Just ONCE!)

-

(-and for the record, we did some 16mm too!)

Great memories, Graham! Something I've learned these last few months is you need to keep moving forward, but you'd be foolish to lose your own history.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 20, 2018 12:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So true Steve

I always reckon we are always learning something new every day and keeping a positive open mind to take it all in is very important, although when you do get to a certain age we start to reflect back a lot more [Smile]

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2018 01:39 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

You know that?

[ February 22, 2018, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
Tony

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 22, 2018 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antoine,

Please tell us the story!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 28, 2018 04:36 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I was out feeding the birdies this morning and reading of the extreme weather hitting Scotland at the moment, it reminded me of this old Press photo that I had come across a while ago, that was taken in George Square, Glasgow.. back in 1968.
 -

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 01, 2018 01:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Today, March !st is Saint David's Day, the National day of Wales, and it kicks off a week of celebration in that country. So out goes the Welsh flag on the front porch for the next 7 days. In the USA the Irish St Patrick's day is a big deal, but the Welsh national day get's no mention!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 01, 2018 09:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good Paul [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 15, 2018 08:28 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some cat wishes he was named "Mittens" today...

-

Well, if all else fails, I'm sure the fur coat is a plus.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 16, 2018 03:06 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I caught up with lady at the mall over coffee now retired, who for years along with myself used to drive special needs kids to school from this side of town. Strange thing that only weeks before Yvonne and I were out shopping at the same mall, when this tall skinny kid now 16 years old, came up and grabbed me and gave me and Yvonne a big hug. He had been on my run for four years, even with a history of violence and foster care I never had a problem with him after a quick chat, I was pleased he was doing ok. Anyway I came across some photos of one of the vehicles I drove... the transit. It was a manual six speed really nice to drive, but sadly when the contract expired they wanted it back [Frown]

It would have made a great camper [Smile]
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ March 16, 2018, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2018 05:14 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I went to Chicago for St. Patrick's Day to see the river turn green. I also shot some 8mm Ektachrome E100D film of it with a Bolex B8. They added the dye on Saturday morning at 9:00 AM, it was still bright green the last time I saw it Sunday evening.

-

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 25, 2018 06:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hibernation is (Almost) Over!

-

Every year right around this time we’ve had just about enough of winter. That feeling of wonder we got at the first snow flakes in December died about five storms ago. It’s time to get out of the house and maybe dream a little of Spring and Summer on the way.

Every year we head down to the south shore right around this time and spend an afternoon.

For people that live on an island with several hundred miles of them, we aren’t great beach people. We have no surf board, we do no Hula Hoop, we never met Annette Funicello either! It’s just right now it’s a great place for a good dose of sunshine and fresh air.

This time it was Jones Beach. In the summer literally millions of people visit here, but right now the crowds are pretty much as we like them!

That thin dark band between sand and sky is the same Atlantic Ocean a lot of us share, but we aren’t looking towards Europe here. This is a generally south facing beach. If you are a really strong swimmer and head towards the Horizon from where we are here, you’ll be in the Bahamas in about a thousand miles. (Pack a lunch!)

Where Europe comes in is every few minutes an Airliner passes overhead on a route to or from Kennedy Airport, Europe is most often the other end of their trip.

Look at that thin wisp of snow in the foreground: it goes to show it’s not over just yet!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 25, 2018 08:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks great Steve [Cool] ...good photos everyone.

Taking a break from films and me doing a bit of reading instead. Yvonne, after watching the movie the other night, is also a keen book reader, and came back from a shopping trip with this one.
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 30, 2018 02:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calm, yet Not so Cold!

-

We were up at the Harbor yesterday morning (Breakfast: highly recommended...)

It was very quiet out on the water: just this one sailboat moored out in the middle and a small fishing boat.

For people that have had enough of this particular winter this is real progress: a couple of weeks ago there were no boats at all: only ice!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 31, 2018 01:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I saw the moon...and thought I would try a quick hand held shot with Yvonne new camera.
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 07, 2018 03:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

There is something really interesting about your photo.

There is a crater on the Moon called Tycho. Maybe 100 Million years ago something very big moving very fast clobbered the Moon. It left a crater about 50 miles across and about 3 miles deep. Rays of material leaving the scene of the accident left tracks about a thousand miles long in many directions. It's so cataclysmic you can see it with halfway decent eyesight 200,000 miles away here on Earth on a clear night.

It was quite a hit!

All of that isn't what's interesting about your photo. I'm used to seeing Tycho on the "bottom" of the moon, but in your picture it's up top.

-just a matter of the hemisphere it was seen from!

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 07, 2018 04:02 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating - Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 07, 2018 04:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even better seen from the beach in Wildwood, Joe!

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2018 04:59 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What magnification does the camera have, Graham?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 07, 2018 07:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Philosophy Time

-

I brought my car back to Honda the other day for an oil change (JUST an oil change!), They said I needed an engine belt and it would be $250. I asked them if it was made of gold or if they needed to yank the engine out to change it. He said the part itelf was $125 an it was really hard to do.

I told them "No!", but its a long walk home from Wildwood if that belt gave up halfway there!

They were pretty shrewd about it too: somebody called yesterday to see if I was ready to surrender yet.

I got the belt, it was $29.

I put it in this afternoon, took about an hour. It was kind of nasty, but you give me 220 bucks and I will do one of these seven times a week!

Some Impressions:

1) Cars aren't built to be worked on anymore. His belt snaked around about 6 pulleys in a space maybe 2 inches wide between the engine and inner fender. The big old Fords I worked on in my twenties had enough room under the hood for a family of four to move in and invite people in for the Holidays! These new ones are packed so densely you could toss a bucket of water on the engine and it just might not run out the bottom!

2) Say what you will about YouTube, you can't fix this car without it! Honda has no service book, but beyond their control, people keep putting up how-to videos. Without them I would never have known where the belt tensioner was or the secret panel Honda put inside the fender well to allow easy access to the pulley on the crankshaft.

3) I kept thinking about projectors while I was doing this. There's a small belt on ST-1200HD to maximize the belt contact around the 18FPS roller pulley. Honda did the exact same thing around the crankshaft pulley with two idler pulleys. It just may be you can learn something useful from this hobby!

4) There's some things about owning a "new" car that aren't always a plus. I had my old car 25 years and knew every nut and bolt on it. This one I've had for five and every time I run into something like this it's a production! This will be an easy job the second time I do it!

5) If I'm going to mess around with Japanese cars I definitely need more metric tools: the pickings were awfully thin and that didn't help in the least. I used a 3/4" socket on a metric hex. (I checked to see if my Shop Teacher was watching first...)

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2018 08:02 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I'm curious, is the dealership Huntington Honda?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 07, 2018 08:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly Enough, yes it is!

The Three Ring Circus of Auto Dealerships!

I've seem less hectic Airports than Huntington Honda!

You have to admire (or even fear) their Service Department. They are fully trained in Psychological Warfare! I had this car a couple of months and came in for an oil change (JUST an oil change!), the guy behind the counter also said they had their Three Month Service Special: they'd rotate my floormats and check my tire pressure, they'd empty the ashtrays (I don't smoke...) and check fluids nobody else even knows about!

-they were having a Special that day: only $299!

I told them "No!". (I thought: "Isn't this the reason I got rid of my old car?")

The guy behind the counter slightly bowed his head and thrust out his lower lip! I could swear I saw a tear in the corner of his eye!

He made me feel like I was neglecting a puppy!

-for just a second!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC