8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 33)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 31, 2018 08:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Been There!

Well, not literally "there", but back when I was 7 years old "Scrooge" was playing at Radio City Music Hall (When they still played movies there...).

We arrived for one screening, but found ourselves sold out, standing outside between the ropes in a line literally a couple of blocks long waiting for the next show!

They had to have gaps at the ropes at the intersections (obviously...), so people came to the gap and dodged across when space opened up, trying hard not to get mowed down by a cab or a bus. Times being what they were, nobody tried to cheat the line.

It was December, and I was something less than 5 feet tall and well under a hundred pounds. I was the youngest in the family and surrounded in a canyon of taller people's coats. They crowded in on me and kept everything but my feet from the temperatures! I spent an entire feature like a Flamingo! -first one foot and then the other!

I thought I'd still be standing in that line when I was twenty! (-as if I could imagine ever being THAT old!)

-but eventually we reached Radio City, (and the HEAT!), and saw the movie!

Twenty years later I met my wife: turns out she was there too! -maybe a thousand feet away, maybe five (With all those taller people's coats around us, it didn't really matter!). Who KNOWS what would have happened if we met that night?!!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 01, 2018 05:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

When I was very young I used to think people that left school at 15 years.... were old [Big Grin]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 03, 2018 03:15 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the "big" news this week and after no swimming pool for the local kids and others since the 2011 earthquakes due to complex beyond repair. The new pool opened across the road from where we live this week. It might not seem like a big thing to others, but after six years of city repairs, getting this new one built although smaller is really something. From 7am this morning, lines were forming to get in and was soon full, so it was a case of one out one in.

The grandkids are really going to like what planners came up with, anyway here are a couple of photos I took of the old complex sadly being demolished a few years back.
 -
 -
 -
 -

And now the new one [Smile]

https://youtu.be/j70v9ysGOVM

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 07, 2018 02:45 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mid Winter here at the moment...

Just got back from an evening walk.

7pm 7th June
Mostly Cloudy.
10'C.
Precipitation 39%
Humidity 83%
Wind 18km/h
[Smile]
 -
 -
 -

Now for a cup o tea [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 07, 2018 08:40 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Graham!

The snowshoe is on the other foot, Eh?!!!!

Upton, New York

60F/19C

9:28AM 7th June
Mostly Cloudy.
60F/19C.
Precipitation 0%
Humidity 84%
Wind 6mph/9.7km/h

Don't you call this time of the year "Autumn"? It's Springtime here and summer starts in about two weeks.

-actually we are at the beginning of fawning season right now:

-

These are kind of "Jurassic Park" deer: 100 years ago deer had been driven to extinction here on Long Island and then some local Sportsmen's clubs decided they'd bring a few from the mainland and have something to shoot at. Lo and behold without the wolves that are supposed to come with the deer as a set, the deer caught on and are actually a nuisance in some places!

I work within a 2500 Acre Federal reserve and there is no hunting allowed within the boundaries. There is an urban legend that the deer actually crowd inside the Lab during hunting season and there's not a damned thing Elmer Fudd can do about it!

(Life will find a way though, there is discussion of Coyotes across the water in the Bronx and Connecticut and the idea they'll get here eventually!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 07, 2018 08:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good Steve [Big Grin]

Life will find a way....didn't Jeff Goldblum say that in "Jurassic Park" and he was right. [Smile]

Talking about deer, back in the 1970s [Roll Eyes] I went up with a guy I worked with, to do a bit of deer stalking in a place called the Lewis Pass. We spent the weekend in there and the person I went with had grown up on a farm, so he really was in his element doing this sort of thing...not me.

He shot a deer cut it up then and there, then filled his freezer with venison when he got home. I should add the only shooting I did was with a camera.

Photo taken at the time with my green woolly hat looking serious [Big Grin]
 -

Oh! I forgot to mention the sessions out here Spring.. Sept, Oct, Nov. Summer... Dec, Jan, Feb. Autumn... March, April, May. With Winter... June, July, Aug. another month yet to go to hit the middle [Smile]

PS When I joined the ACF I was 13yrs old, it wasn't until I was about 15 until I received my marksman badge in a shooting competition with an old Lee Enfield 303. We used to go to military bases on summer camps etc and they supplied the weapons and training and of coarse the range.

Looking back we never had any ear protection etc nothing like today. The army range instructors were very good, and sometimes would grab a hold of the rifle and give you and it a good shake, just to make sure you were getting the butt into your shoulder properly, as the old 303 had a strong recoil and could knock you shoulder out. To this day I have a healthy respect for the 303 Lee Enfield its very accurate and very deadly if you are on the wrong side of it.
 -
The worse thing for me, was being left handed as I used to fire from my left shoulder and have to twist the rifle to get to the bolt which meant having to move position. I don't think they ever made them for left handed people like me
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 19, 2018 11:34 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ancient Traditions

We went camping and canoeing on Saturday, kind of keeping an ancient tradition. My family started camping the summer when I was between kindergarten and 1st grade. If you do the math, that’s 51 years ago.

-

It’s a great family activity, because everybody gets a job to do and a lot of them you need to work together.

-

We went to a county park that my favorite paddling river flows through. We set up the camper and my son and I took our solo boats down to the launch and paddled about 3 miles on the Carmans River estuary. My wife took a camp chair and a book and stayed back at the campground. (-as it's said: "Whatever floats your boat!")

-

Now, what a lot of people don’t understand about camping is how much it is about the food: it may be the best food that you’ll ever have! By this do I mean it’s fancy? Not at all! If we were wearing cowboy hats and had been trailing a chuck wagon all day, this would be called “grub”! It was just a can of chili over elbow macaroni! However, when you’ve spent an afternoon in a tiny boat trying to shove the World backwards with a big stick it’s one of the best meals you will ever have!

-

Of course we had a campfire that night. I think campfires are a good thing for modern people, because they are all about patience. You get this tiny lick of flame, and somehow you need to keep faith that you can nurture it into something big enough and hot enough to reduce an entire log to ash without just dowsing it in gasoline and losing your eyebrows!

Based on my years of campfires I am utterly shocked that a house ever burns down! Truth of the matter is that the average house is built of better firewood than what gets used in a campfire: it’s been under that nice roof drying for a couple of decades and probably arrived from the lumberyard kiln-dried to begin with, but “campfire wood” was probably still a living tree a few weeks ago! My bag of tricks starts with something that actually burns quite a few houses down: dryer lint. It is disturbingly flammable and it is what I light even before the kindling.

A campfire is different than a TV: it’s fascinating to watch but you don’t have to focus on it. If you are alone you tend to think, if you aren’t you tend to talk. We talked about my Mom and Dad because Saturday would have been their 67th Anniversary. It would have been great if they could have been with us at our fire that night, but in a sense they were anyway.

The next morning we had another great camping meal: grossly misshapen pancakes with sausages and hot coffee percolated on the stove. We'll skip the heat of Summer, but we'll go again before Fall.

-Great Weekend!

-

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 24, 2018 04:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had to wait a couple of minutes for a table at lunch today...

-

-took the chance to appreciate some local architecture.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2018 11:33 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Is that building in Brooklyn?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 24, 2018 11:41 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Steve [Cool]

Yvonne just got back yesterday from visiting a friend up in the Nelson area... top of the South Island. Although its winter at the moment the weather was good, anyway Yvonne did manage to take some nice photos.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 25, 2018 06:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

-definitely looks like an above-average winter to me!

Mike,

It's Main Street, Northport: right down by the harbor.

--------------------

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2018 07:34 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I like your folding camper, we have something similar, if you Google Dandy Folding Camper you'll see it. Fits 4 of us in comfort in proper beds, with running water, cooker and underfloor heater. A quirky British design that dates back to the 1960's. I'm never happier than when we're camping.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 25, 2018 08:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart,

Always nice to meet another Camper!

Our Pop-Up is kind of a marital compromise: early on in our marriage we tented and my wife decided we needed to stop sleeping on the ground! I resisted at first, but I have come around! Every so often my son and I throw a tent in our boats and go back to basics, but for the most part this is the way.

This one is specifically designed to be towed by a small car: many compacts here are rated to tow no more than a thousand pounds, and this one weighs in at 980. Since we became parents we've towed with minivans or SUVs and it's practically nothing for them to tow.

It sleeps 5 in three beds, but they'd better be close, close friends! It is fine for the three of us.

Of course we are in the era of four wheel disk brakes with power-assist. My Dad towed a 1400 pound camper with 4 wheel drums and whatever pressure he could apply through his shoe soles. The leg muscles that man must have had! Then again when everyone had drum brakes there was probably more room to stop!

I think if there is anything that encourages the excess accumulation of gear more than collecting films it HAS to be camping: I have an entire bin of implements just for cooking over campfires: hot dog forks, a popcorn popper, pie irons, a Dutch oven, a waffle iron! You stand there in a store and you see this stuff and it just calls to you! ("buy me!, buy me!!!")

-it's a mania!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 01, 2018 11:13 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going through our old home movies at the moment and with the school holidays coming up soon. I might show the grandkids what there parents used to get up to. I used my spare GS1200 and unlike the other GS machine, this one I have kept with its original three bladed shutter, a must for 18fps.

Of all the films we have, our old movies taken with a Canon 512XLE at the time are the most important. I do hope Kodak come to the party this year with new film stock, in both slide and Super 8 form.
 -
flying a kite
 -
 -
blowing bubbles
 -

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2018 11:56 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful Graham [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 02, 2018 04:23 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill [Smile]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2018 03:43 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham - It never ceases to amaze me how the colour from these home movies we made years and years ago has stood up sooooooo well! It is a pity that can't be said about a lot of the package movie colour films! But at least if we must have one that fades and one that doesn't.... at least it is the right way around in my opinion. Home movie memories are priceless!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 02, 2018 04:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
........the difference between Kodachrome and Eastman print stock Melvin. Right now it looks as if home movies shot on Kodachrome will last at least another 100 years. No digital format will come close to that.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 03, 2018 07:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really nice, Graham!

I find even the Ektachrome I shot back in the 1970s still looks like new.

We have great old friends of the family who have one reel of Kodachrome R8 shot at their wedding reception in 1957. They don't have a projector so when I was 20 and 45 I showed up at their major anniversary parties with a machine and showed it for them.

It looks brand new. Now, the bride and groom have changed a...little... (You recognize the smiles: that's pretty much it!)

What's neat about it is they see it so rarely it's like a first viewing to them every time they do.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 03, 2018 09:41 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that stands out with home movies is that the image still looks so fresh, like it was just taken yesterday. Its hard to put into words, but unlike a video image, those Super 8 home movies just seem to come alive when running them through a actual film projector.

It does make me wonder what has happened to the millions of feet worldwide of film either taken on Std 8 or Super 8 since home movies came out, I guess around the late 1920s.

Came across a neat bit of advertising of the Canon 512XLE....incidentally the camera still goes, always thought Canon made nice lenses in both there still and movie. [Cool]
 -

[ July 04, 2018, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2018 09:46 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the millions of feet of home movies looking awesome especially if shot on Kodachrome. I have 10 400' reels of Regular 8 Kodachrome handed to me when I bought an old DeJur 750 projector. The seller didn't want them. I think they were shot by his grandfather. They are beautifully shot and look like new. I have no idea who the people are in these films but I refuse to part with them. They are also beautifully edited.

[ July 05, 2018, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: William Olson ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 13, 2018 08:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evening Band Concert down by the Harbor:

-

-looks like it really IS Summer!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 27, 2018 06:47 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about finished with bits and bobs reels. Reel 15 will be the last one, its been very interesting making up those reels full of ads, trailers, shorts etc. This last reel will include all twelve McDonalds ads all joined together. [Roll Eyes]

All those made up 2000 foot reels are for the Ernemann projector. I have been picky with everything added, making sure each of those reels have an interesting mix.

The one thing I have found is all the films are in excellent condition. Its funny looking back at this stuff.
 -
 -
 -
I never realized we ran so many McDonald.....
 -
 -

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2018 06:11 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working in Cottage Grove, Oregon all summer. To escape the heat I go out to the coast on my days off. These were shot on a foggy day with a Kodak Medalist 620 camera using re-spooled Fuji Acros 100. I developed it in beer (similar to a Caffenol recipe).

-

-

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 07, 2018 04:13 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan

That's fantastic, great to read about developing those photos in beer, they look good. [Cool]

Took a couple of photos of my round trip to fellow forum member Pats cinema last Friday. I took along a back up 35mm film print for a private screening he was doing that night. The round trip was 300klm, five hours driving behind the wheel. I really do need a bigger car, as this we Starlet is a great shopping basket for town running, but no use for long distance.

Loading up the back up print on Friday morning Reel one not in photo as its already in the front just 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.
 -
 -
Running a test reel on the Kinoton, this is the very projector we used at Movieland, great to see it running again and consider the Kinoton one of the best modern 35mm projectors...certainly my favorite for cinema use.
 -
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC