8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 34)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 08, 2018 02:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to a fellow forum member for giving me some centers for 35mm reels. This has allowed me to make two so far, with a third in the pipeline hopefully if I have time to make today. Up to now I have been using 2000ft reels, about 20 minutes of 35mm film, making these larger reels to a 3000ft capacity which the Ernemann2 projector can take, will in turn give me a chance of making up 30 minute worth of 35mm film of shorts etc.
 -
[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 11, 2018 06:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roll on summer... and I can then get and about and
of this computer [Smile]

I found a new place for "tweety" as he keeps falling down.
 -
[Smile]
Making up some films yesterday...must run my Super8 version sometime soon. [Cool]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 21, 2018 04:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I got to work this morning and found this where my friend usually parks his Delorean:

-

I asked him about it and he said he and his friend traded cars for the day.

-

-Sweet deal!

He said his friend works at Volkswagen. I told him he should find similar friends at Ferrari and Porsche!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 21, 2018 05:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

What year is it? for some reason it looks unusual [Smile]

My old boss in Scotland had a 1967 model, 12 volt, thankfully not the 6 volt system of earlier cars. Also had... if I remember right the 1500cc engine....it was his pride and joy [Smile]

PS I once changed a clutch in 32 minutes at a garage I once worked at.....not now [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 21, 2018 05:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,

Judging from the bumpers it's from the 1960s. The ones made in the 70's had much simpler designed bumpers: just a curved chrome bar with a rubber strip.

(Really wish I'd looked at the registration sticker before he left!)

Edit: The 1966 (and earlier) bug had no reverse lights. The 1968 (and later) had them integrated into the tail lights. 1967 was the only year they were mounted separately on the rear bumper, so it's a 1967.

(I LOVE Google!)

My friend had a couple of old MG coupes (Neither consistently ran: they traded parts backs and forth and took turns!). He had a 6V car and a later 12V car. The 6V had a battery bay in the back floor behind the driver's seat.

Did the 12V car have a bigger battery bay for a larger 12V battery?

Noooooooo!

-it had a second battery bay for a second 6V battery behind the passenger seat and the two were strapped in series!

[ August 21, 2018, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2018 10:04 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The taillights remain small, the headlights transitioned to more of an upright positioned modern appearance and I would say 1967, but where did that chrome rear vent come from?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 21, 2018 10:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike,

I see some with it and some without.

-maybe aftermarket?

We're lucky here: the '67 had a number of unique features that make it easy to distinguish from other years.

-this doesn't usually come so easily among VW beetles!

I love the roof rack: makes me think of plaid suitcases, picnic baskets and stops at Howard Johnson's!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 22, 2018 01:30 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest I was never a fan for the VW, however my old boss an X Royal Navy I should add, used to be "really" fussy on keeping it nice "covered up most of the time". I still remember him lighting up his old tobacco pipe and just standing there in a bit of a daze looking at it [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Memories [Big Grin]

This old ad made me smile....now here is a question ,once you are floating around in the lake as shown, how do you get back?

https://youtu.be/1qB0lb401ZU

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2018 04:09 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waohhh Graham !!!!

32mn to replace a clutch on the "Beatle" !!!!!.......

This is just a dream, now I don't see any car for which such a performance is possible yet....

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2018 04:35 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize there was a clutch on a "Beatle." The Fender can be replaced by Les Paul, but that is about it!!!!

(cryptic joke)

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 22, 2018 08:37 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's here again...

Confirmed!

-

That chrome grill over the engine air vent seems to be a sheet metal overlay on the regular one. I could imagine somebody years ago mail-ordering it from JC Whitney!

Does anybody remember the Rolls-Volks? This had to be the ultimate Volkswagen aftermarket accessory.

These cars last were sold new here in the early 1970s because they couldn't be made to comply with new safety and emissions requirements. They kept going in other parts of the world for a long time though: when I worked in Mexico in the late 1990s they were using them as police cars. (-obviously not for high-speed pursuit!)

Melvin: "Stratocaster"!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 22, 2018 01:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Phil and Melvin check this out [Big Grin]

Remember those engines were only held to the gearbox with about four bolts, although other things are connected as well, if you are properly set up for a quick clutch change, it can be done.

These days being in my 60s it would take me longer... probably around 40 minutes. [Wink]

https://youtu.be/7T51LmuhOA8

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 22, 2018 02:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Beetle is a great Hobbyist's car.

Parts are common (either NOS, used or reproduction), they are as simple as a stone axe and are always good for a smile.

-granted, by modern standards they are death traps, but nobody said you can't leave them in the garage until a sunny Saturday and drive something else the rest of the time!

We used to camp with a guy who was a NYC bus mechanic. He restored a VW bus camper. This was basically a beetle engine pushing around a tiny house! He figured on going through an engine every couple of years. No big deal to him: he'd pull it out in the Fall and rebuild it in his spare time before the Winter was out.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 24, 2018 03:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our here some of those cars are now fetching good money in particular the old VW Kombi Camper. [Cool]

Its funny how cars that I once worked on during the 60s and 70s are now considered classics, back then it was just another car. I was at the mall just lately, when I parked my car, got out and locked it, next to a car which had the bonnet/hood up. The owner asked me if I could give him a jump start he had the leads, which I did. When I disconnected the leads, I looked at the engine, stood back and said to him, this is a Datsun 260c, and that I have not seen one in around 40 years [Eek!]

I had a look at it, the car looked good with no rust etc. I said to him, that I once worked for Datsun agents as a mechanic in the past and told him to look after it, as these days it would be considered a classic and worth a bit of money, much more than an old bomb to go to the mall [Smile]

All that from a quick visit to get a cup of coffee [Big Grin]

Going through my junk, I came across this little tin I have had since the late 60s. This is the stuff my old boss smoked, but in it are the range of shims needed to get he right valve clearance when working on cylinder heads. The last time any of those were used, would be around the 1972 mark [Roll Eyes] when I worked on a Jaguar XJ6 4.2 litre twin cam cylinder head. They are also used on Hillman Imp OHC engines.

Its amazing the stuff you accumulate over a lifetime as a mechanic either on cars or on aircraft, but never to be used again [Frown]
 -
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 24, 2018 06:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a set of those steel ramps you drive one end of the car up to work underneath. Then my father in law passed away and I wound up with his pair too.

-When our friends in Brooklyn decided to give us theirs I put a stop to it!

--------------------

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2018 07:57 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember one time my friend parked his Beetle in a very slanted way. Rather than re-park it, four of us lifted it into a straight parked position.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2018 10:06 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I have this correct, and I can't explain how a colleague of mine refurbished his VW Van (Vanagon?) with a Porsche engine. Is there some kind of similarity with Porche and VW engines? Please explain.

Anyhow, talk about fast!

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 25, 2018 01:48 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

Cant help you much Michael as I have never come across one, but anything is possible. Apart from both engines being air cooled there is probably a lot more to it than just a simple swap. [Big Grin]

Anyway I did a google and came across this modified kombi [Eek!] and does it go [Big Grin]

https://youtu.be/BJ2frLTnPDs

I could just see Steve with this one [Wink]

PS In my long ago Datsun days, the 240Z was a real flyer, I used to road test up to 100mph on the Glasgow motorway. The 240Z had a five speed manual gearbox, but did not like slow moving traffic. You had to be careful with the clutch and throttle in first gear, as it really wanted to get up and go [Smile]

Although this particular car in this interesting video has been modified, they still went like a rocket.

https://youtu.be/EO2y_-vpolA

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2018 04:10 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No pictures but not a good start to the day when the smoke alarms went off at 4am. I traced it to the cellar and called the fire brigade. It looks like the dehumidifier there had caught. No serious damage (except smoke to the rest of the house) though the electrics are out downstairs and a few old bottles of home made wine got smashed.

The paramedic and ambulance crew checked me over and apart from initial high blood pressure everything seems OK. No films were damaged.

Now to get the carbon off everything!!!!!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2018 11:00 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
Thanks for the videos with the comparisons.

My colleague's VW had that get up and go speed without the skidding.

The second shot after the VW passes through the curve had the impressive rocket speed in his model too.

Steve,
Thanks for verifying the model is a '67.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 26, 2018 01:44 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first car when I lived in San Francisco was a used VW Bug with a sunroof. Loved that little car and it had a lot more room on the inside that you would think. I sold it for a new Ford Pinto and then after I got married we sold the Pinto for a Datsun 260z. However performance-wise it didn't live up to the expectations of it predecessor 240z. Graham...Did the 260z model last more that 1 year? I know it wasn't long before they came out with the 280z.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 26, 2018 07:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

We're glad to hear you came through it all right!

Life is never boring (even if sometimes we wish it would be!) Something new is always coming up.

We had a lightning strike in the neighborhood last week. It was close: sounded like Santa was up on our roof firing a mortar!

We had phone service back in a day, Internet back in two, our new TV is in a box sitting in front of me, I'm still looking for a stereo amp that will drop in where my old one was, and the check is on the way from the insurance company!

-Can't say nothing ever happens here!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 26, 2018 01:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

Glad you hear all is ok, it also shows the importance of having smoke detectors in the house. There has been many tragic cases of loss of life in the past without them.

Janice

I only came across the 240z in Scotland, when I came to NZ I did work for a Datsun agent, however never had much to do with the 240z mostly they imported the other Datsun models, I worked there until I moved to AVIS in late 1975, there it was all British or Australian cars.

I did a check on google and it does appear the production run for the 260z only lasted a couple of years. Compared to the 240z the 260z performance was reduced to meet the US emissions regulations that came into effect at the time. If I have read it right, the 260z was replaced by the 280z around 1975, and to boost its performance, a Bosch designed electronic fuel injection was added.

For me "Datsun" fell of my radar as I moved to Aviation from AVIS around the 1976 mark. In saying that, it would be great to once again have a drive of the 240z that's if I could handle its impressive performance. [Cool] [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 01, 2018 02:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took this photo of the inside of a Eumig S932 running after working on it.

However later in the day, I looked at the photo and saw "Tweety" looking at me through the projector....strange I thought "Tweety" must be keeping an eye on me. [Smile]

Do you think all this projector and film stuff make people a bit crazy? [Big Grin]
 -
I must open a museum [Roll Eyes]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2018 03:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Local Adventure! (One item OFF the bucket list!)

Well, after many years we finally pulled of a local canoe camping trip last week. The deed itself is no big deal: simply paddle to a campsite with a bunch of camping gear and set up house overnight. It’s done this way all over the world: people often travel for days on end this way. It’s just a smidge of pioneer living you can enjoy and then put away until next time. It’s commonly done in upstate New York, Maine and Minnesota and throughout Canada, it’s done in Europe and Australia too, it’s just not often (or ever) done here.

Long Island is a place with a lot of variety: the West End is Brooklyn and Queens and very much part of the City of New York, along with subways to Manhattan and bridges and tunnels to the Mainland, high-rises, sports stadiums and city parks. 120 miles away the East End is the Hamptons and farms and vineyards and boating, fishing and beaches. In between you have almost eight million people doing anything and everything you can imagine in modern American life, whether for better or worse.

-just not canoe camping.

I grew up camping. My parents started taking us when I was 5 years old. Most of the time, we are what are called “RVers”. We have a folding camper and a couple of times a year we go to a campground somewhere and relax around the campfire for an evening. We belonged to a camping club for decades and some of my best friends and best memories came from those weekends away. Today when we camp it helps me celebrate those days and my parents too.

This is low level adventure: there is running water and electric power if you want it. Many commercial campgrounds these days have cable TV hookups and WiFi! There are sometimes swimming pools. This is just fine for the typical family adventure, especially when there are small kids involved or when you want to do it for more than a few days, yet is it possible to take it further.

The next level is up there with back packing and canoe camping: basically living with what you can bring under your own power. There must be less stuff and it must be compact and lightweight.

I’ve been doing what can be called canoeing with camping: a car towing a camper, with canoe(s) on the roof rack. I camp near a lake, carry the boat down to the water and paddle around for a while, yet still sleep on a mattress not down at ground level.

I like doing things other people aren’t doing. For example, I like the idea that when I light up a screen with a movie on film, there’s a decent chance that among the tens of thousands of people living around me, exactly nobody is doing what I’m doing. That makes it MY thing! I’ve done canoe camping a little up in Maine, just maybe if I managed locally I’d get that same satisfaction.

Canoe camping is simply not done locally. Yes: there is camping. Yes: there is canoeing. There is even camping with canoeing, but camping from a boat is simply NOT a thing here. There are no (official) wilderness campsites, because there is not a lot in the way of true wilderness. You might say it’s just not part of the local culture: the idea of “Let’s do this” or “Let’s promote this” just isn’t there. It’s more “What IS this?” and “Go Upstate!”.

Years ago I decided I wanted to be the exception here, so I took my boat and started looking at islands in the local rivers. One day I struck gold: a clearing inside a wooded island. Somebody, maybe years before had the same idea I (eventually) did: the entrance was fairly hard to find and there was a fire ring in there made from stones obviously from someplace else. I forgot about it while my son was very little, but went there again a few years ago and found it was being reclaimed by the forest. Since then we’ve brought some saws and shears over and made it a campsite again. We named it “Camp Mason” in honor of Bill Mason, one of my favorite filmmakers. Last week we finally got around to really camping there, not just having lunch or building a fire and hanging out for a while.

Oddly enough: the biggest barrier was what to do with the car. If some local official finds a car with empty canoe racks at the launch after dark, their last thought will be “someone’s camping.”, more like “someone’s drowning!” and we didn’t want to have to pay for a Police helicopter Search and Rescue! (”YOU DOWN THERE IN THE SLEEPING BAG!...DON’T MOVE!”)

My wife stepped in here: she dropped us off, went home and then picked us up the next day: in honor of Neil Armstrong we called her and the car “the Command Module”.

Here’s the ground rules for what I’d accept as a real canoe camping trip:
-There must be an overnight stay. Without that it’s basically a picnic!
-Everything we need we bring with us and take away too: stash no supplies and leave no mess!
-There must be meals cooked and served there: no delivered pizza or sneaking off to McDonald’s!
-Bonus for a campfire. For me the fire is kind of defining here. Even in a fire pit out on our back patio, this is just a little bit “camping”. (It’s what popcorn is at the Movies!)

-and so we began!

The first impression here is how sluggish a 33-pound boat becomes when you add in maybe 50 pounds of gear (Firewood is SO heavy!), but we paddled about a mile and a half and hauled out.

-

Then comes the setup. Based on his 15 years camping with us and years in Scouting, Steven did a great job setting his own tent up, even though this one was brand new to him.

-

The two of us have a tradition going back to when he was in Kindergarten. I have a decent sized Thermos that holds two cans of Spaghettios and keeps them hot for many hours. When he was little and we went on a hike, I’d pack this along with some spoons and bowls and we’d have a trailside meal. Years later, be it a hike or a long bike ride or a canoe trip, the thermos, spoons and bowls still come along. If someday, years from now you hear about a middle-aged man showing up at a nursing home with a Thermos full of Spaghettios, you just may understand why!

This is how we started out that night: just some quick chow after the trip over. Soon the sun set. We got a campfire going and the evening meal continued!

There’s just something about hotdogs over a fire. The wood smoke adds a little more flavor, but I think more than anything it’s the ritual!

-

We do grilled-cheese sandwiches on the fire too. This involves the use of a pie iron: basically a cast iron clamshell mounted on two long handles. This is put directly on the hot coals. At night it’s a two-man operation: one has to operate the pie iron, taking it out of the fire often to see how the sandwich is coming along and the second one to operate the flashlight and have the plate ready for the end results.

The major safety tip here is to remember that “pie iron” sounds a lot like “branding iron”, and that’s no coincidence! Unless you want to explain a really weird scar for the rest of your life (“ROME PIE IRON”, mirror imaged), you should learn to respect this thing!

-

What’s a slight injustice is the iron is meant for square bread, but I like rye bread! My sandwich looked like this!

-

-but this IS roughing it, so I suffered mightily through a badly squared-off sandwich! (Someday they’ll write ballades about it for sure!)

(-note to self: find square rye bread before next time…or bring a better knife!)

By the fire, we talked a lot: he’s a teenage boy and for him life is going by at a crazy blur. I’m well along in middle age: Ditto!

How does your evening usually end? Maybe there’s nothing good on the ‘tube or maybe you’re going to have a long day at work tomorrow and need to rest up. Maybe you just can’t keep your eyes open anymore. In this case it’s simpler than any of that: we ran out of firewood around 11:00PM and called it a night.(-less weight for the trip home…) We’d brought a collapsible bucket with us to keep the fire from getting out of hand, so we poured river water over the coals and headed off to the tents for a well-earned night’s sleep
Good Night!

(More to come!)

[ September 04, 2018, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC