8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 42)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 30, 2019 09:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like moutain bikes with sprung suspension, but I have to be careful.

My job assigned me a mountain bike because I need to be able to move around campus even on days when I don't have my car.

It has a sprung front fork and I'm accustomed to it being that way.

My mountain bike at home has a solid fork.

-then I go off a curb with it...

("Oww!")

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 04, 2019 03:33 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amphibious Update

So, as I’ve covered here before, I’m building this model car…boat thing. It’s a model of a WWII US Army Amphibious Jeep. These were the brainchild of the Allied Command while planning for D-day: build a whole bunch of amphibious vehicles and basically drive to France right across the Channel. The larger 6 wheel amphibious truck version of this was very successful, but this not nearly as much. It’s basically as if you forced an Army Jeep to drive around wearing a big bathtub: the end result was neither a good Jeep nor a good boat!

It is a cool model though!

It’s like my tenth project: I always have other things going on with films and projectors and the house and my job is basically made of projects, so it wasn’t getting done. Right at the start, I cut the two hull sides out and then left it for an entire year! (All priorities!)

I’ve used CineSea as an excuse to actually get some work done on this thing. I make some goal, and then I sail it with my son in the Pool at the Ocean Holiday.

-

The goal this time was to build the cockpit floor. This is where the seats will ultimately go, but more importantly the underside of it is where all the electrical stuff (batteries, switches, wiring) is mounted. Before I built this I had to round up a whole bunch of clip leads and wire it up poolside. Now I just throw switches (land or sea) and run either the wheels or the prop or both.

-but fate intervened!

-

When I got to CineSea the pool looked like this! This was opening weekend and the hotel was still cleaning the pool after being closed all winter.

Now I ask you: would you take a model you’d been building (on and off) for a decade and put it in that “water”?

Turned out OK, I remembered it’s amphibious and “sailed” it up on the sun deck!

-

(It wasn’t as much fun!)

October 31, 2018: The Back Story

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 06, 2019 03:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday Night

Now here's cooperation neither Kodak or Epson ever saw coming:

-

-Epson VP with Kodak Pageant. (Not shown: Elmo ST-800 and Elmo ST-1200HD)

I had one of those great nights on screen where I just pulled movies off shelves and kind of made it up as I went along. I bounced back and forth among the three formats and enjoyed them all.

(Of course my basket of films and disks to be re-shelved is full now!)

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 07, 2019 12:42 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Steve and reminded me of our 9.5mm meeting here a few years ago where we projected as many gauges as I could.
Standard 8mm, Super 8mm, 9.5mm, 16mm and finally 17.5mm. One of our members said " you must be mad showing all that lot" ah but what fun we had!

I'm gradually getting volunteers together for a local HOME MOVIE DAY where we will have projectors around a hall projecting local films people will be bringing in. It will make for a interesting picture on here later in the year. We will be projecting 8 9.5 and 16mm.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 11, 2019 08:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff Steve [Cool] ....will you be trying it out in some nearby pond?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 11, 2019 08:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its origins are in camping. There's a lake up in Maine where we've gone camping a couple of times and the original plan was to sail it full amphibious off the boat ramp, maybe chase it with a canoe if needed!

The problem was twice I got close to travel time and I had to decide if I wanted to rush finishing it or just set it aside. It's a great project and deserves to be done well, so I stopped. Of course, after we got home there were other things!

-at least it's close enough even now where the next time we go to the lake I'd bring it. Really from here on out almost everything left to do is cosmetic. (For better or worse, it turns out there was an amphibious jeep trailer and I still have three wheels left!...but let's finish this first!)

So I do imagine sailing it in open water sometimes. It would have to be really clean water though, so I think I'll mostly stick to swimming pools.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 13, 2019 05:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filming Cinema in Miniature II in Dudley finished the days filming popping some flowers on in memory of Derek Simmonds.
Emotional.

-

Some 42 years ago I helped out with some super 8 filming at the Bluebell Steam Railway and became very attached to a locomotive I was given the task to film on the day. Long since retired from service I tracked it down although not accessible to the public anymore. Thanks to the railway we were given unlimited access and it was nice to see it again although no longer in steam or the beautiful BR green paint. Some of you may even have a super 8 film print we made back then a memorable time and wonderful to be reunited with a old friend.
 -

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2019 05:30 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful story Lee. I have quite a few train films on Super 8, what was the title as I may have it.

Graham S

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 15, 2019 03:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jubilee Graham. Here is the old girl as I remember her, somewhat smaller but still in steam. [Cool]
 -
A long time ago now and I lost contact with the other makers many moons ago, they may not even be around now.

[Frown]

And as it was 42 years ago when filming commenced.
Memorable.
 -

I had been blessed to spend years with other film makers offering this youth good guidance in the art of film making and it was pretty much the case if the phone went asking if we could help with filming you just grabbed your cine camera to join in.
Good times and a whole lot of footage.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 15, 2019 08:07 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to keep an eye out for "Jubillee", Lee.

-by an odd coincidence last night:

Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway
RH&D Jubilee
Piccadilly Line to Shanklin
Terrier to Wootton

Would that be HO or OO gauge? (-seems a little chunky for HO!)

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 16, 2019 01:31 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OO Steve. Picked up another that I'm going to repaint in wartime livery. These USA tank locos were made for the United States Army Transportation Corps and later purchased by Southern Railway. Eventually repainted in BR green and heavily used at Bluebell for some years. Sad to see the old girl left on a back lot now but its the money once again.

Another life long passion of mine. The right notes but not necessarily in the right order. Playing at sunny Blackpool joining in the 125th birthday of Blackpool Tower around the town.
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 17, 2019 03:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big Bang: Big Screen

Sometimes something important happens on TV and I get out the cables and connect the VP into our broadcast cable TV. The first time was the last Winter Olympics. Last night was the final one hour episode of The Big Bang Theory. We love this show and have been watching it for years, so we decided to make an occasion of it: made some snacks, invited some friends, rigged for big screen projection.

-

I’m not sure when these episodes will air worldwide, so I’ll only make one spoiler: 12 seasons later, they finally fixed the elevator!

-

The shame of it is it’s basically the only TV show I watch right now, so I guess screen-wise I’m going to have to shift even more for myself, but at least we gave it a great sendoff.

-

I noticed something while I was operating this way: that I have made myself a really bizarre TV set! The screen is in the front window, the volume control is on the dining room table, and the channel selector is at the back of the house about 30 feet away from the screen. What’s also unusual is the fact that an Elmo sound projector pays a key role here. This all evolved from just one film projector on the table. When the sound system was added that entire end of the system was grounded through it. When other 8mm, 16mm and video projectors are added in, their audio goes to the mixer through balanced connections so ground stays with the first Elmo. Without that ground this wicked ground loop develops and you can barely hear the audio through the hum. So for just last night, I needed a movie projector to watch TV!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 17, 2019 08:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today was spent watching grandson Connor playing "Under 11 grade" junior rugby. All the kids did well, and it reminded me of a couple of photos I took 22 years ago, when Steven himself was playing "under 11" The "then" coach took them that year to top of there grade, which was quite an achievement in this city.

I must say though, that in general most parents, junior players and coaches are pretty good, although you will always find some side line experts [Big Grin]

Hard to imagine this was 22 years ago...
 -
There final game of the season, winning there grade..
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 19, 2019 01:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the worrying thing looking back through photos how quickly time passes.
We sat looking at some 35mm snaps of the old 80's film fairs and wound up counting film friends in the pictures no longer with us not to mention family. I'll always remember the Film Making magazine event in London during the 70's now forgotten but it was probably the most exciting film event I attended. Will dig out a photo for next time.

Been busy fitting another Analogue to Digital audio converter into a super 8 sound projector, the sound improvement is quite something and lifts a Stereo Eumig to new dizzy heights.
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 20, 2019 01:33 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stockport Plaza art deco cinema for SABRINA DAY 2019

Nice to see Sabby up on a massive screen in a beautiful art deco cinema complete with Compton theatre organ.

-

-

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 20, 2019 09:32 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, amazing! How great to have that kind of cinema in your home town Lee.
I would really like you to post more details of your Eumig analog to digital sound conversion, sounds intriguing.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2019 01:53 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Paul! That is one nice looking movie cinema!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 21, 2019 12:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have some great volunteers at that cinema which also doubles for stage shows having done one gig on the stage myself. Great place and people.

Paul if you get PROJECTIONS magazine I should have a article how to do the job going in using the little Yelco. Some of us have also changed the Capacitors over in the old amps which also makes a difference. I was fortunate to have studied ham radio back in the day which helps a bit with upgrades and repairs. Worth remembering as a very rough guide the life of a Capacitor is around 12 to 15 years so most of the 70's machines will have deteriorated somewhat.

Saddened to hear one of our super 8 film stars has received a drop kick thankfully OK we are told.
 -

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2019 10:43 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I seen what happen on the news! I'm glad they caught him! It just goes to show you that there is a lot of unstable people out there!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 26, 2019 05:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pre–Season PowerWash!

Hey!, It’s Spring!

You can tell because the garden centers have a hundred people in line at each cash register and I’ve already cut the lawn about four times. The snowblower is in deep storage and just as good: we’re getting ready to go camping in a few weeks. We set our camper up last week and aired it out, went through and decided what needed to be there and what did not.

Today’s business: Bring out the power washer and blast all the grime off!

-

I ask the same question EVERY year!

-which Rocket Scientist decided to paint a recreational vehicle white?!!

(-and yes, we’ll wash that back fence too!)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 22, 2019 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

So, as a symptom of time passing, we are looking for colleges for our soon to be 17 year old son. Yesterday we visited Stevens Institute in Hoboken, New Jersey. -looks to be a really excellent school. In addition to having a name that's basically begging him to attend, it's got this really spectacular view of southern Manhattan across the Hudson River!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 16, 2019 02:02 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been walking the local old disused steam railway lines taking a few images and some wonderful views.

-

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 18, 2019 03:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Britannia passing through here

-

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 29, 2019 12:40 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my last night in pictures [Cool]

I went to brush my teeth before bed and my cat Buster decided to jump up on the counter and crawl into the sink. I'm not totally sure what prompted this ad hoc behavior...but it was so adorable.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2019 12:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of ours fell in the kitchen sink once.

Between the mass and the velocity, a full grown, soaking wet, panicked cat represents a spectacular amount of kinetic energy!

-there was wreckage to clear that day!

-wet, household-wide, senseless wreckage!

A wet cat doesn't corner very effectively or brake well either. Their center of gravity is off and they lose a lot of traction on the wet floor. We followed the tipped over waste paper baskets and silvery streaks along the walls down to the two green eyes glowing under the work bench.

We toweled him off, and life went on.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC