8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Your today in pictures.. (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  42  43  44 

Author Topic: Your today in pictures..
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 04, 2016 01:36 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as when I look back on my old school reports, I always have a little chuckle to myself at the forthright no nonsense approach that was utilized in those days with things like student reports etc lol.

Nowadays, if a student was written about in a similar draconian manner, the parents would be suing the authorities for character assassination of their child and the student would need counselling to aid their dented confidence in accordance to the same said parents! Ha ha ha.

It's great to see all of the important qualities in life,you had in abundance Graham!

"Could do better" were the words I most recollect from my early school day reports!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

In my school days, you were allowed "sports days" and someone was even allowed to win!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 04, 2016 01:49 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve you are so correct. I bought a nice little bed for my son's cat Buster to rest in.

...but this is what he preferred.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 04, 2016 03:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Too...cute Janice! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 04, 2016 08:38 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

He is my son's cat and his name is "Tigger".

We just got him a second one and he wanted to name him "Piglet", we settled on "Oreo" instead....

(-still beats "Pooh", isn't there enough cat pooh as it is?!)

I ask you: Could a human being be this delighted in anything without borrowing money first?

-

[ January 07, 2016, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 07, 2016 11:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I love about the job I have these last few years is it is in the western part of what we Long Islanders call “Out East”. This is no longer Metropolitan New York, but forests and rivers and lakes, vineyards, farmland, harbors, seashore, islands and prairielands. Every day I arrive out here and if I want I can take a short hike or ride my mountain bike out in a couple of thousand acres of forestlands during lunch. I’m not that surprised to see deer anymore, but I still enjoy it! There are foxes out in these woods, but that’s a rare pleasure. They know you are there a long time before you know they are.

I’ve been hanging around out here since not too long after I graduated from college. We canoe quite a bit. We bought the first boat a few weeks after we tried skiing (…didn’t go at all well!). One of the nicest places locally is the Carmans River. Since we are on an island it’s only about 10 miles from source to sea, but it has three shallow lakes joined by a lazy, crystal clear river through quiet forest lands. Lately I cross it twice a day, and if time allows sometimes I park my car and visit for a minute, just to take in the peacefulness.

It was a very warm December and it looked like real winter would never come, well…if you can call it good news it has arrived with a vengeance these last couple of days. Monday was well down into the (Farenheight) teens and every night since it has plunged well below freezing.

When I dropped by Yaphank Lower Lake this morning it was icing over. Of course if you were…ambitious enough to try to ice skate there right now all you’d get for your trouble is a pair of skates stuck in the lake bottom and wet, cold, muddy feet! –but suffice it to say I doubt I will be canoeing there until March (…at the very least).

-

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 09, 2016 05:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not today but last year.... [Smile]
 -
 -
 -
 -
...and that's how its done....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 12, 2016 11:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Graham!

One of the guys at CineSea taught my kid how to splice 16mm,...which I haven't,... ever!

(Teach 'em young!)

In other news:

Looks like someone had a pleasant drive to work today!

-

It's not mine! My car probably weighs less than the chrome on this one!

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 12, 2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bellowy clouds and rain all around the SF Bay Area...but only blue skies over my street in Sunnyvale [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 18, 2016 04:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick snap as we await the Flying Scotsman Locomotive to arrive as the snow broke out.
 -

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2016 07:00 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to prove that he loves film like his master, this is my Shih Tsu "Charlie" in his latest movie roles ......

-

-

-

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 18, 2016 03:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Keith! [Wink]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 18, 2016 03:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

The Flying Scotsman shows up regularly on my screen and through my speakers.

-hats off to someone who got to see it in person!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 20, 2016 03:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

In Praise of Percolated Coffee! (-and accidental discoveries!)

I’m what you might call a low-level outdoorsman. I can’t throw an axe 50 feet and embed it in a tree, and if I was stranded in the High Sierra at 30 below, rather than fashion a crossbow from tree branches and kill a bear for his fur I’d probably freeze to death just like anybody else, but I like to do things outdoors like canoeing and camping and hiking and mountain biking, even if I rarely get beyond cell service and quite often I’m home for dinner too!

I like to share this with my son, and that’s kind of become a tradition. From the time he was about seven I’d heat up a pair of cans of Spaghettios and put ‘em in a Thermos and throw that in a daypack and we'd head somewhere beautiful, safe and local and stop trailside for lunch. The beverage of choice is Hot Chocolate. I found this serious little camp stove that literally fits in the palm of your hand and can boil a pint of water in less than two minutes (-sounds like an itty-bitty Jet Engine!). This sent me on a quest for a small pot this thing could manage to heat the water.

-I found it: Five bucks on E-bay, two cups and barely bigger than a decent sized coffee mug. From the looks of it it’s easily as old as I am!

It came with the grounds basket. One day I decided to try to see if it really works and it certainly does!

Percolated coffee tastes great and not only that, it is an achievement! With the Keurig you stuff the little cartridge in there, fill up the water and push a button: thirty seconds and a lot of mysterious sounds later you have your cup of coffee.

-this you need to measure out the grounds in the basket and watch it closely while the water is heating up to boiling. After that first ”Glurp!” up top you need to immediately turn the heat down or you will have a geyser of coffee all over the stove top. (Boiled coffee is SPOILED coffee!) You then need to perk it five minutes before it’s ready. Too little it's weak, too long it can become bitter.

This is a very user interactive process! Whether it comes out right or not is the result of the care you put into it. Yes there are more automatic ways of doing the same thing, but the coffee tastes better because YOU made it that way.

-something a film collector surely understands!

-

--------------------

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2016 04:38 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lately I've been experimenting with different home brew recipes to develop black and white film. I have a recipe for developing with beer that I have been working on that works pretty good. There are also many recipes online that use instant coffee.

Recently a member of another forum that I'm on built a working camera from a coconut. The question then came up if it was possible to develop film with coconut water so I went to work and came up with this recipe for Coconol:

Pure Coconut Water (I used Vita Coco brand) - 500mL
Washing Soda - 20g
Vitamin C - 8g
Develop at 20 degrees C for 15 minutes. 30 seconds of agitation at start and 15 seconds for every minute after that.

-

Clearly the recipe needs some work but I think this answers the question that has stumped the scientific community for decades: How did the castaways develop the film in the Gilligan's Island episode Castaway Pictures Presents? Now we know.

Gilligan's Island: Castaways Pictures Presents

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 01:32 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good photos Steve

Getting out and about is great fun. One of the places we used to go regular was the "Devils Punchbowl", Its in an area with plenty of good day walks. The mountain air is just great, although my present fitness [Eek!] will have to improve a bit before I take the grandkids up there. I still have some Super 8 somewhere [Roll Eyes] ...anyway we were sorting out old photos the other day, and came across a couple of early 35mm ones when Steven and his friends was younger. The water fall is impressive straight of the snow, so its cold, but in a hot summers day its great stuff.

Time to get fit [Smile]
 -
 -

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 08:48 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is amazing someone else in the world has named a similar thing the 'Devil's Punchbowl'. In Ontario, Hamilton is the only place I know of with a Devil's Punchbowl, which is approx 2 or 3 kms from my house!!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/DevilsPunchBowl.jpg

http://www.cityofwaterfalls.ca/devils-punchbowl/

I am not so surprised to find another topological wonder, but to be named the exact same is interesting to me!

[ January 25, 2016, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Mathew James ]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 12:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting videos Mathew

Came across this short one on You-tube that shows the one out here.

https://youtu.be/e3w-44cVk-o

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2016 12:41 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Devils Punchbowl in Oregon as well.

Devils Punchbowl State Natural Area

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 02:03 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan, it looks like they are everywhere [Big Grin]

Steven came round to see me a few weeks ago and the subject came up about taking a trip with the grandkids, we usually combined the punchbowl with other walks while we are there to make the trip worthwhile. It such a quiet and peaceful area to visit, I like the mountains... should live there [Smile] ..here is one last old 35mm photo taken when Steven and April and "me" were a lot younger and I was a bit more fitter. [Wink]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 23, 2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Devil's Punch Bowl in Wales too!

-what I learned from my print of "Vale of Rheidol Railway".

I actually learn a lot from my films. Very often after I rewind I have something I have to look up.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 23, 2016 05:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bitterly cold day in Orlando was spent at the annual Orlando Antique Phonograph Show. As usual there were many interesting items on display, including Edison Phonographs, Victor Talking Machines, Swiss music boxes, and all kinds of memorabilia. Amazing to me is how loud the acoustic amplification is through these wooden horns, with no electronics.

-

This Pathe advertising sign was on sale for $500.00! [Eek!]

-

The famous RCA/Victor dog 'Nipper' had memorabilia all over the place:

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 24, 2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a new snow blower in December. My old one was not only electric and corded, it was not only made in Regular-8 days (-came with the house...), but it was tiny and getting tired. Some days I wondered if it wouldn’t be easier to just shovel!

Ever since I bought the thing, people keep saying “Since you bought a snow blower that means it won’t snow this year!”

MYTH: BUSTED!!!

-

The forecast was 6” to 12”, and we certainly got our money’s worth. Good thing it was a Saturday, at least most people could just stay in and let the crews fight the roads without complications.

My wife said “Steven, go help Daddy!”

-he called himself my “accomplice”.

-

The new machine does make it much easier, but it was still work. The walk is clear and the cars are free to navigate.

-Meanwhile, among the Leisure Class:

"What's all that commotion outside?"

-

Wonderful event, Paul! They look like kindred spirits!

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The view into our courtyard at our condo in DC. No shoveling, no going anywhere, just cooking, watching films, playing music and taking pictures.
As usual, the hysteria in the media was on in full force, as if the Second Ice Age was to descend.

The sun is out and it is starting to melt here already.

Claus.

-

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 24, 2016 11:48 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..."Myth Busted".. sure is... [Smile]

That's a lot of snow [Eek!] hope it does not freeze or get messy when it turns to slush, making driving very dangerous. Good photos Steve.

PS. Steve and Claus where are your snowmen?...you must build one [Cool]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 24, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wonderful event, Paul! They look like kindred spirits!

They certainly are Steve.In fact these people feel about Phonographs and records exactly the way we do about projectors and films. A grand bunch of people too, just like film collectors.

I envy you and Claus with all that snow. A lot of people who have moved to Florida from the north always seem to get a smug satisfaction when snow hits in the towns they used to live in. kind of a justification for their move. I have never felt that way, and still miss the beauty of Montoursville Pa. after a snow fall. Just magical to me.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central
This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  42  43  44 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC