8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Outdoor Double Feature Movie Night 9/5/15

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outdoor Double Feature Movie Night 9/5/15
David C. Lucidi
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2015 09:32 AM      Profile for David C. Lucidi   Email David C. Lucidi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I posted this on another site (late to begin with) and figured I'd post it here too, for those that may be interested.

This is our 'once a year' mega party that we have. This was our 5th one (actually, 5½, because the last one we hosted, only had one movie shown before having projector problems -- no second feature).

The lineup was Toy Story for the kids, and Beetlejuice for the adults. We started off with the National Anthem (always), followed by a drive-in snipe (Welcome to Our Theatre), and a trailer for Toy Story 2. Then, we had (2) Warner Brothers cartoons -- "Guided Muscle" (Road Runner), followed by "One Froggy Evening" (Michigan J. Frog). Finally before the first feature, we had 4 snipes:

-Simpsons parody "Let's all go to the Lobby"
-Simpsons "THX Sound" parody
-AMC Theatres 'Silence is Golden'
-AMC Theatres 'Feature Presentation'

Toy Story started immediately afterwards (I had 2 projectors running for seamless changeovers). After Toy Story, we had a 15 minute intermission, with the last 5 minutes counting down using the original 'Let's All Go To the Lobby', followed by a drive in '5 minutes countdown' intermission. Then it was straight to Beetlejuce.

We were VERY lucky to have AWESOME weather that night. We also had a mega feast for food -- 29 pizzas, popcorn (with butter dispenser), nachos & soft pretzels (with nacho cheese dispenser), candy bars, soda, beer, and a ton of 'pot luck' stuff people brought. We had approx. 46 adults and 22 kids at this event.

The inflatable screen worked flawlessly, and was well worth getting compared to having to construct my own again as years past. I took a shortcut for fastening it down (used cinder blocks) so as a result it kinda had a small 'curve' at the top, but this didn't both anyone. A GREAT time was had by all and after doing this for many years, this was by far our greatest night ever!!

(FYI: The reason I run 'AMC theatre' snipes, is because we playfully say that 'AMC" stands for Annaliesa Mega Cinemas, named after my daughter (she's in the pictures below, wearing the 'Hello' pink shirt). So, it fits having real 'AMC' film spots on screen before the movie starts [Smile]

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2015 10:18 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You think Big, Dave...

I'm having a living room full of friends over for the 20th anniversary of Toy Story in November (seriously...how is that possible?), but it will not be nearly as ambitious as this!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 09, 2015 04:17 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

That looks great [Cool] excellent line up of film [Smile]

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2015 07:56 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic job David, you are a true showman.
I also do an annual backyard Super 8 / 16mm show and we always have a great time.
Cheers
Terry

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2015 08:57 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks super fun and professional!!! Wish I was your neighbour.
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2015 02:56 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be sweet to have a neighbor like David! One can dream. Not that I have bad neighbors, actually, they're pretty great. Just not into film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC