8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ged Jones (from Derann) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ged Jones (from Derann)
Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2015 03:03 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

just to let you know that Ged has not been well and is in hospital awaiting further surgery. I spoke to him on the phione yesterday and he sends all his best wishes. He has had a "tough" road to travel but hopefully will be back home mid - December. I know we all wish him the best and I will tell him so as a collective membership - good guy Ged and very instrumental in the development of Derann. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 14, 2015 03:05 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will be thinking of him Mark thank you for letting us know.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2015 05:21 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ged's a very nice person-always helpful in the good old days of DERANN-hope he gets well soon...

--------------------
Yannis

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2015 08:46 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all wish him well. Get well soon!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 14, 2015 12:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Wishing you back to good health Ged as soon as is possible.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2015 03:00 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish him a speedy recovery - I remember talking to Ged at the Clarendon suites in Birmingham for the last Midlands convention - if I remember rightly he told me he was instrumental in the editing of Derann's Quatermass and the Pit - which I have in my collection and is a cracking 4x400ft.

David

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 15, 2015 03:18 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish that Ged will be quickly better and that everything will be ok. One month before going home is a long time.

--------------------
Dominique

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2015 04:50 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I hope Ged gets back on form soon, I did many a deal with him over the years, and a very nice man to boot.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2015 05:07 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ged was such an integral part of Derann. I'm sure no one would mind if I say it wouldn't have been the same without him.

I will never forget our chat on the last day of Derann trading when Ged explained that he went to Derek's house in the early 90's and convinced him to strive forward with in-house sound striping.

And when he ordered a ton of new prints from the lab when he heard they were closing and then thought, "What have I done?? Just made a load of work for myself!"

Such a nice bloke and always a pleasure to deal with.

Get well soon!

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2015 10:44 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just want to wish Ged all the best and get well soon a great guy cheers simon

--------------------
kinema king

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 15, 2015 10:47 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was a top man in this trade, and he always had time for a couple of minutes chat whenever i ordered films from him.
Get well soon. [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 15, 2015 05:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ged, get well soon. Here's a pic of the maestro of Derann's recording units at work.

-

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Peter Scott
Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2015 05:14 AM      Profile for Peter Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get well soon Ged

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2015 11:14 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

just to let you all know that Ged rang me again last night and personally thanks you all for your best wishes in his recovery. As I said before he has been very unwell and has still got a road to travel - he has had good close support though from his partner who has been a "rock" to him especially when Ged was in critical care. Best to all.

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 21, 2015 11:58 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great picture Doug.
I wonder if those recording machines were custom manufactured for Derann, or were they something that was commercially available at the time? And who made them?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2015 07:38 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were Magnatech machines. IIRC they were modified to record first on 16mm double Super 8 from the 35mm mag sound machines the company manufactured. Later there was one for re-recording films that had been slit and found to be faulty and later one at least was adapted for stereo.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 24, 2015 07:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many collectors poorly at the moment including Vidar.
Speedy recover to you all.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 24, 2015 08:02 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely Lee, very well said Sir!
Best wishes to you both Vidar and Ged.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 24, 2015 09:58 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish to Vidar a speedy recovery as well.

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2015 02:33 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I received some communication from Ged yesterday - he was actually 67 yesterday! But he is pleased to say that his spirits are picking up and he has now started to put weight on which is really good news as he had lost quite a bit. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love reading Ged's posts on Facebook. His knowledge on the history of Derann in fascinating. I wish him the best for a speedy recovery.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2015 06:53 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update from Facebook on Ged Jones of Derann:

Ernest Marsh
December 17 at 11:56pm

Had a chat with Ged Jones from his hospital bed and although he is improving he will not be home before Christmas. He sends Seasons Greetings to everyone for Christmas & the New Year. Also my best wishes to everyone for Christmas and 2016.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 18, 2015 03:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear that Ged is apparently through the worst of his illness Steven.

Wishing him all the very best and a speedy recovery!

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2015 05:26 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only met him a couple of times but couldn't fail to love his sense of humour and down to earth no nonsense approach. So very sad to learn he is still unwell and hope that next Christmas is much better for him, his partner and families.

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2015 04:06 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get well soon ged we all miss you [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC