8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The English Language

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The English Language
James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2015 02:33 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you observed lately how the English language is changing?

a problem has become an issue,spot on nailed it, great, awesome, can`t think of any others just now, anyone else want to cherp in (there you are (Tweet) Regards, how about Richard the awesome!
James.

[ December 07, 2015, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: James Wilson ]

--------------------
James Wilson

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 07, 2015 04:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I used "nailed it" only last night myself on another forum James when describing concluding a problem.

I don't think this term or "spot on" are particularly new expressions,at least I didn't think they were?

Maybe the first has come about from too much reality television such as X Factor for example.

The term gets used almost for every act that performs!
(I say "performs" in many cases,in the most loose sense of the word).

I am sure "bang tidy", "dope" or "sick" in the manner they are frequently used are both newer and make far less litteral sense.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2015 06:27 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The success of English as a language worldwide is the fact that it is so diverse constantly adding, changing and adjusting. If everything remained the same it becomes a dead language. The power of the Internet and media be it film or music means everywhere you go it is spoken. However, I must admit I love listening to French and Italian as they are softer and equally expressive.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 07, 2015 06:43 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike says : "I love listening to French"
Mike is a connoisseur [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2015 07:01 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought "Nailed it" would have come from something like "The 60 Minute Makeover" or "Do-It-Yourself SOS" [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 07, 2015 08:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong, I really like the internet, but what really gets me is all the young people showing something is important by saying "hashtag"!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2015 10:28 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate reading that something is 'FOR free'. And 'snuck in' is such an ugly word and such a lazy way of saying 'sneaked in'. And why do we have to drop the t in cartoons or water or use 'ouse' for house. Our language is changing and some is inflenced by film.
I guess it won't ever stand still.

--------------------
Dave

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2015 11:30 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the recent floods in the northern UK, some presenters have described places as 'inundated with water.' Inundated means water! They are just inundated.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your problem is that the American dialect has snuck in to the British dialect... [Roll Eyes]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 09, 2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, with NO offence intended what so ever to our USA friends, our Language is becoming Americanised with stupid abbreviations all over the place.
Now being made worse by morons with texting and the worst offender that i hate with a vengeance twitter, or twatter as i call it.
Why we always have to follow others i do not know.
That should be moto for the UK
"We follow where others lead". Sums it up in one line. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2015 02:16 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I find annoying is when someone says 'of' instead of 'have'. ie ' they should of done'. Not just youngsters either. It is probably due to the falling standards of education in the UK. You never hear well educated people using this 'new' language. Look to royalty or people that have been educated at the top institutions- Eton, Harrow, Oxford, Cambridge- they don't lower the standards. Just the poorly educated and the sheep.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2015 03:48 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it must have come from abbreviating should have to should've them mispronouncing as "of".

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 10, 2015 05:52 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James my neck of the woods practically has its own language which I really enjoy particularly when out and about.
To youngsters banging away on mobiles in the cinema my favourite would be Put thi torch eawt it's meltin mi ice-lolly!
Usually confuses them enough.

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2015 10:44 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
English as a language has evolved somewhat since the days of the Bard,kudos to all those who had to decipher his prose

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 14, 2015 11:18 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Chaucer some time!

-it's still English, but...

--------------------

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2015 11:26 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
doth I see a kindred spirit Steve !!

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 14, 2015 11:35 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You dooth!

We did Canterbury Tales in 12th Grade English. The teacher really loved early English and managed to bring it to life for us.

(Thank God for her! I had other teachers that force fed things like this and just let us suffer!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 14, 2015 11:42 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a really good TV series here back in the 80s called "When The Boat Comes In",....never forgotten the accents. A chap I was working with last year came to me to explain a text he had received for work, stating in it the term..."Swings and Roundabouts".

I had a job tying to explain what it meant, as he was from "Hong Kong" [Smile] for those that are not used to it, it can be very confusing [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC