8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Scouts agog at 16mm show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scouts agog at 16mm show
Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2016 05:58 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was running 'Born Again' at my monthly show with almost 30 present. The Scouts were doing their thing in the other hall. When the audience piled out for refreshments, the Scoutmaster brought a number of the youngsters in to have a look at the projector (Bell/Howell 1695). He was astonished when I told him the print was from 1978 (absolutely mint with superb colour) and the machine was over 30 years old. It looks almost new and runs whisper quiet. None of the kids had ever seen a projector and were absolutely fascinated. Hope they don't think I'm an antique as well!!! Time goes by so quickly when you're in your film world.

--------------------
Dave

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 03, 2016 04:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave

Nice story...yes "you" like "me" in this digital world are antique [Big Grin] ..just kidding.

Its nice to read stories like this, many more in this hobby should do it [Wink]

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2016 04:50 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shutter (pun intended) when I think that this generation doesn't know what a film projector is or has even seen one. I guess it's up to all forum members to keep film and projectors alive and keep this generation informed.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 04, 2016 08:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing happened to me:

Three posts up from the bottom

What I didn't say at the time was the Scoutmaster (-who'd probably never seen a Super-8 film in his life!) introduced me with the spiel "Super-8 was blurry and full of scratches..."

I mean, how couldn't I exceed expectations with an intro like that one?!

Fortunately I happened to have one of my nicest Blackhawks with me that day and it looked and sounded great.

(I did receive rave reviews in the Pack newsletter that month!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can remember about 20 years ago when my kids were about 6/7 year old,my wife mentioned a party for their birthday's,having been to pick up my kids from other parties I was filled with fear at the thought of all these kids running riot.Thats when the plan was born,at the end of the party games when the kids were waiting for their parents,I put on the cartoons,the faces on the kids were amazing,they were looking behind the screen,I'd got to Bedknobs and Broomstick "Match of the Century" when the first parent came and STAYED,then the next stayed,until eventually there was standing room only,thats when I realised I should've sold tickets lol

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 12:33 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the mid 1980's, some friends were over the house with their young child, who pointed at my reel to reel tape deck and asked me if that is what I showed movies on, like they did at school.

Time marches on...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC