8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Eastmancolor film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eastmancolor film
Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2016 11:21 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess just about all of us have suffered the dreaded Eastmancolor fade. When did the change to this stock take place and how long were prints produced before it was discovered what was happening? Was other stock being used during the same period and did any lab continue to produce prints that have not been affected by fading?

--------------------
Dave

|  IP: Logged

David Pringle
Junior

- posted February 06, 2016 11:36 AM      Profile for David Pringle   Email David Pringle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a look at this History of colour motion picture film
It mentions 1950 as the date of introduction Eastman and 10 yrs before fading was noticed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRheZ_MUYiY

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2016 12:20 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David. An interesting item indeed that I hadn't come across. 1952 seems to be the year Eastmancolor made strides but how did this affect 16mm prints. Did everything just move across until the fading problem reared it's ugly head?

--------------------
Dave

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 06, 2016 01:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember in the very good documentary, "Glorious Technicolor" (and extra DVD in the two disc set of "The Adventures of Robin Hood), that, when eastmancolor first started being used, those who worked in the cameras in Hollywood immediately noticed the difference.

One professional cameraman was attempted to photograph a star and when he looked at the developed prints, her lips were the color of liver. No matter what lipstick was used, it looked like various shades of liver, where Technicolor always great a very accurate rendering of whatever was used on the lips.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2016 09:48 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started collecting 16mm tv spots, someone joked that Eastman prints began to turn color the moment it left the lab.

--------------------
Joe

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2016 06:23 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the studio bosses knew and thought "It's cheaper and as long as the prints do the release circuit before they fade, who cares?!!!"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 08, 2016 12:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually, it's pretty good thinking, from a business standpoint. After all, who would collect faded prints? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2016 12:41 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak's History Of Motion Picture Film Stocks

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2016 02:37 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a URL some have referenced before in regards to film stock. It is very informative as well.
http://www.paulivester.com/films/filmstock/guide.htm

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 04:33 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the info and the links. I now know a bit more about the story behind the catastrophe.

--------------------
Dave

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2016 06:54 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing beats real technicolor. Although Kodachrome was a reversal stock, its processing was probably closer to the Technicolor process than any other stock of its kind. That probably explains the gorgeous color and long shelf life.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2016 05:15 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, neither Technicolor of Kodachrome had colour couplers and dye formers in the emulsion, both could use more stable dyes after/during processing.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC