8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Posting pics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Posting pics
David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2016 06:48 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when tried again tonight to post pics no luck will try again tomorrow

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 09, 2016 07:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,

Actually uploading pictures here is very easy: I just did the CineSea picture report and did about 40. Including the resize I doubt I spent even a minute each on them

To resize the file, all you need to do is open the picture in Microsoft Paint. Then you click on "resize" (up in the top left), choose "pixels" and then type in "550" in horizontal. You click "OK" and then save the file.

-

Now you are resized, both file size and width.

To upload and place on a page:

Over on the left menu here on forum, click "upload", log in (You may not even have to log in each time), browse for the file, click "submit" and then copy and paste the resulting link wherever you want it in your post.

If you do a couple of these it becomes second nature.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 09, 2016 09:47 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to include the [brackets] when you cut and paste the link.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 10, 2016 08:40 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do the resizing with Microsoft Office Picture Manager, but that was a two step operation: file size and then picture width.

Paint does it in one step and the pictures often look better too. I find the resize in Picture Manager really undersizes the files.

The thing to do if you have a bunch of already resized pictures is to do one, copy and paste the link, then hit the back arrow to the "browse" page and do another one. I bet you could do three or four a minute like this.

--------------------

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2016 09:11 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or do it online... http://www.picresize.com/

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2016 03:07 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But how do you do it on an iPad ? When you do it on eBay or attach a photo to an email it's so easy. It should not be beyond the realms to get this site on a par. This forum is stuck in 80's technology and I know I'm not alone in my frustration.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 02:48 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be $59 to upgrade the THIRTEEN YEAR OLD software on here.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 05:18 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is everyone that can't post pictures going to make a donation to upgrade the software? Just wondering....

Bill
[Smile]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 05:31 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not those who find it easy at present.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 05:41 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My take is yes, I'd pay for it: if this is the best place for lovers of the small gauge to meet, if we have a genuinely active board, if it made uploading photgraphs trouble-free, and if the upgrade made the site more friendly toward modern devices such as smartphones, tablets etc then yes I would pay toward that. We have to pay for conventions, we have to pay for upkeep of films, equipment etc and we'd have to pay for repairs. Surely such a deep repository of knowledge would be worth a small stipend to ensure it remains useful well into this century?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 11, 2016 06:17 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree Stuart. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 11, 2016 07:34 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It cost 10 euro a month for unlimited upload. It is not that expensive

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 11, 2016 07:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure that is doable Vidar when divided by close to 5000.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 08:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With great respect to all concerned you really do need to grasp the fact that our beloved 8mm Forum (which I regard as the first and still the best) is but a small part of film-tech.com

This hobbyist end of film-tech may seem simple and cheap to upgrade but looking at the bigger picture the pro side of film-tech (35mm and professional digital cinemas) is all part of the same website so how can anyone guesswork the costs involved?

Other places to multi-dump digital pictures are available elsewhere so those without the ability or patience to read and follow the forum picture uploading instructions can go there.

To me it's a bit like comparing the time taken to make the most of a 36 picture roll of 35mm still film - time taken to select the shot, time taken to get the camera settings right, etc. etc. Compared to the current trend of simply taking point and shoot digital pictures in the hundreds just for the sake of it and foisting them onto the www.

A case of Quality v.s Quantity = give me quality every time.

Kevin

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 11, 2016 08:40 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me the gripe isn't the upload at all, it's kind of like when I learned to drive a stick shift: after the first day or so it was a piece of cake. (Having a brand new car is kind of motivator.)

I would like a wider frame to post pictures in and the resolution to back it up. That would do it for me.

Kevin is right: we are guests here on filmtech's website and part of a bigger picture.

Brad plans to upgrade the software for all of these boards. Come that day we will probably find something, somewhere else to gripe about.

(-for starters: you should see the floor in my son's room. Seriously: you can't SEE it and we haven't in years!)

--------------------

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 08:46 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know there were plans afoot to upgrade. That's great news.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted May 11, 2016 11:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
click on this

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 11, 2016 11:54 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget one very important thing.......this forum is not only the BEST but it's FREE!!!! [Cool]

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work Brad.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 01:37 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we not allowed to make suggestions or even criticism without it being labelled a 'gripe'. It's a fact that this site is primarily concerned with nostalgia but that doesn't mean that the technology involved in serving it has to stay in the past. We are all I'm sure grateful to the moderators for keeping this forum alive and popular, but if it can be improved at little or no cost then why not?
I'm pleased to hear that an upgrade is in the pipeline and let's see what benefits it brings.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 11, 2016 01:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

The gripes I mentioned were #1) my own, and #2) everyone's in general.

-besides, there comes a time to gripe: for better or worse it's how things get done in the world. (A little timely griping has probably saved quite a few marriages!)

-actually, I'll change my gripe to more of a "lament": the dripping drain under my basement sink is a lot bigger problem for me! Laying on your back on a wet basement floor with a pipe wrench: that's something to gripe about!

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2016 02:19 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve
You liken me to a dripping sink in your basement! Now I feel much better [Big Grin] [Razz]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 12, 2016 02:49 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well David...got it figured out yet? [Smile]
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC